Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• The doctor is in

Re: To Eat or Not To Eat?

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    I bring an empty refillable water bottle.
    That is the easiest way to save money. If you are constantly buying a water bottle whenever you finish one it seriously adds up.

I personally think the bread bowls in DCA next to the Boudin Bakery are the best and they aren't too expensive. They are extremely filling, too.
    In all honesty, just about everything that isn't a sit down restaurant won't set you back too much. There is a big difference between paying $14 or $15 for a quick lunch and paying at least $40 a person at Blue Bayou.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Rock Star Minion

1. Don't go.
    2. What I've done when I'm feeling cheap (i.e., all the time) is feed my children, then eat what they leave behind as my meal.
    3. I bring a few protein bars. Eat one every three hours or so.
    4. I'll shoot a hippo on Jungle Cruise. That lasts days.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

The roast beef sandwhich at Jolly Holiday Bakery has been on my "must try" list for my next visit. Check it out in this video!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/wQGaSq5k-QI

Anybody hungry yet?
    Last edited by DisneylandDragon; 01-08-2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: attachement

• Selfie Expert

I find the food to be reasonably priced, just avoid the "high end" restaurants, which you usually need reservations for anyway.

I recommend the corn dog. I used to religiously buy at the cart on main street, but then I realized for the same cost I can get a corn dog with fries (instead of chips) at the Stage Door. It's yummy and it's large.

Many meals are splittable - they're large enough that you'll likely be able to feed two people. Plus, if you aren't stuffed, you can stop somewhere else in a couple hours and split another meals, so you get to experience more variety!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Just a warning on splitting meals. Some of the sit down table service restaurants in the park will charge you a "spliiting/share-charge". For instance, at Cafe Orleans I always order the Monte Christo sandwhich and have my niece order something smaller like the pomme fries and we share away sans the charge. Both very delicious by the way.

• Disneyland PAP

I second the votes for Redd Rockett's Pizza Port and the bread bowls at either Pacific Wharf at DCA or in New Orleans Square as well as the kabobs at Paradise Pier Boardwalk. I think the RRPP pasta dishes, bowls, and kabobs fill you up the best in the parks for the price.

Also, if someone in your group happens to have a birthday this month, register online for the Earl of Sandwich's birthday club. I did and now I have a coupon for a free sandwich to use within 30 days of my birthday.

And if you can splurge one day, I might suggest the all-you-can-eat Celebration BBQ at Big Thunder Ranch. Save your appetite and eat all you can, aside from the desserts which cost extra.

And a side note. I went to Denny's last week for the first time in a long time. They have this Hobbit menu as a promotion for the movie, and I wanted to try something from it. I tried the Ring Burger plus I had a 20% coupon with me after just joining their birthday club onlline. When I paid my bill I was surprise it came to $13.11 (including tip). That's about as much you'd pay for a comparable burger and drink sans table service at Hungry Bear Restaurant with AP discount! Color me enlightened.

• No Disassemble!

- Split your entrees up with other family members if possible. We do this at the Plaza Inn especially because of the big portions. My wife and I will get one chicken dinner and the two kids (5 and 16mo.) will split a kids meal and have some of ours as well. We only spend about 23 bucks after AP discount for dinner.

- At the cafeteria restaurants like Plaza Inn there's unlimited fountain drink refils. My wife and I often will just split a cup.

- La Brea bakery has a few decently priced hot breakfast plates, otherwise try Tomorrowland Terrace if you're in the park early.

- Bring stuff from home, especially water and light snacks.

- If you're stuck in Downtown Disney Earl of Sandwich is the way to go. Most of the menu is $6.99. If you need something more filling then try Rainforest Cafe.

- IMO the most overrated things at the resort are Pizza Port (everything tastes like Chef Boy-R-Dee), the Lucky Fortune Cookery (they stuff their bowls with 4 small pieces of meat and a pound of white rice underneath), Cochina Cucamonga (if you're gonna spend that much, go to Rancho Del Zocalo instead), Churro Carts (often serving stale Churros), and Bengal Barbeque (you're paying too much for the amount of skewer you get).
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• The High 5 & Waving Goth

Jolly Holiday Cafe for sure.

As others have suggested, bringing munchies and water bottles greatly reduces cost and hunger. Disney water fountains are very tasty.

French Market isn't bad either. River Belle Terrace is good too.

As for DCA, I would recommend Flo's V8 Cafe. Might get a bit crowded though. FFP Cafe is good too. Didn't care much for Taste Pilot's Grill.

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Skip the pizza at the parks. It is beyond tasteless and not worth the money.

For value, get the pasta dishes with chicken. Lots of food that can fill me up for a reasonable price.

Rancho del Zocallo offers a good amount of food for a reasonable price. It comes with some sides too. That is always our first dinner stop.

Overall the food isn't priced too bad for the amount they offer. Some things are overpriced but you don't get too skimped on.

I agree with what someone else said, the food at the park generally isn't that expensive. It's just that it can add up if you eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks there. You normally wouldn't eat all those meals out several days in a row. But meal for meal they're not badly priced at all!
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    - Split your entrees up with other family members if possible. We do this at the Plaza Inn especially because of the big portions. My wife and I will get one chicken dinner and the two kids (5 and 16mo.) will split a kids meal and have some of ours as well. We only spend about 23 bucks after AP discount for dinner.

- At the cafeteria restaurants like Plaza Inn there's unlimited fountain drink refils. My wife and I often will just split a cup.

- La Brea bakery has a few decently priced hot breakfast plates, otherwise try Tomorrowland Terrace if you're in the park early.

- Bring stuff from home, especially water and light snacks.

- If you're stuck in Downtown Disney Earl of Sandwich is the way to go. Most of the menu is $6.99. If you need something more filling then try Rainforest Cafe.

- IMO the most overrated things at the resort are Pizza Port (everything tastes like Chef Boy-R-Dee), the Lucky Fortune Cookery (they stuff their bowls with 4 small pieces of meat and a pound of white rice underneath), Cochina Cucamonga (if you're gonna spend that much, go to Rancho Del Zocalo instead), Churro Carts (often serving stale Churros), and Bengal Barbeque (you're paying too much for the amount of skewer you get).
    I might take a sip of someone's soda but it'd be a violation of my conscience & ethics to outright share soda!

we like French market!

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by mpabis525 View Post
    Skip the pizza at the parks. It is beyond tasteless and not worth the money.
    Yes. The pizza is disgusting. The only time I have eaten the pizza from the Pizza Port in Tomorrowland was when I bought one and took it with me to share with friends before Fantasmic.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Talking Re: To Eat or Not To Eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    I second the votes for Redd Rockett's Pizza Port and the bread bowls at either Pacific Wharf at DCA or in New Orleans Square as well as the kabobs at Paradise Pier Boardwalk. I think the RRPP pasta dishes, bowls, and kabobs fill you up the best in the parks for the price.

Also, if someone in your group happens to have a birthday this month, register online for the Earl of Sandwich's birthday club. I did and now I have a coupon for a free sandwich to use within 30 days of my birthday.

And if you can splurge one day, I might suggest the all-you-can-eat Celebration BBQ at Big Thunder Ranch. Save your appetite and eat all you can, aside from the desserts which cost extra.

And a side note. I went to Denny's last week for the first time in a long time. They have this Hobbit menu as a promotion for the movie, and I wanted to try something from it. I tried the Ring Burger plus I had a 20% coupon with me after just joining their birthday club onlline. When I paid my bill I was surprise it came to $13.11 (including tip). That's about as much you'd pay for a comparable burger and drink sans table service at Hungry Bear Restaurant with AP discount! Color me enlightened.
    Looks like Earl of Sandwich is going to happen for sure! Thanks for the birthday tip! My son is celebrating his birthday this month, it's one of the main reasons for our Disney visit!

So many thanks for all of the tips! I'm going to take notes, and be sure to print a map and put a star by anything worth checking out.

Five days, my husband and I, 5-yr-old daughter, 3-yr-old son, my bro and his wife, and our moms will be happy!

Whenever I go to Disneyland, I always go for value for the money, but I also look at it this way: What can I get here that's unique to here and that I can't easily get at home?

That being said, I seem to gravitate towards to food in NOS... the chowder and gumbo bread bowls, the red beans and rice at the French Market, the food and atmosphere at the Blue Bayou, it's great stuff. Be sure to save room for a Dole Whip or a sundae at Gibson Girl, though.

I'd also like to add that my wife and I will usually bring a water bottle and one home lunch for each of we're gonna be there for a day... that way we can spend money on "treats" and fun snacks instead of "regular" food or splurge on one of the nicer restaurants.

The baked potatoes (used to be by the Fantasyland theater -not sure it is open while they are working on). The potatoes are HUGE. Plenty for lunch and under 10 bucks.

I have also shared a plate (see above on how to avoid the splitting charge) at Plaza Inn cafe. It is way too much food for one person. My husband once balked at the notion of sharing. But he couldn't finish it all either.

Definitely bring drinks and snacks. I like a protein bars and pretzels. I only drink diet dr pepper, and since I can't get it in the park, I bring it in. I save a TON of money not buying 5 dollar sodas.

Last tip, if you don't need bottled water, any food venue will give you a free cup and ice. Just fill up at the nearest water fountain.

Since you have little kids, I love the toddler box available at most places. It is not that expensive and comes with juice, apples, goldfish crackers, yogurt and maybe more. Everything is individually packaged, so if Toddler Jimmy doesn't want goldfish, you can save them for later!

Have fun!!
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast