Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: Aladdin going to Broadway....will it stay at DCA?

If Poppins is closing in NYC, then Disney could quite easily use several of those costumes/props/set pieces for DCA and save on tons of production costs. The prospect of selling merchandise should be more than enough to further entice Disney to finally close Aladdin.

I would still prefer an entirely new show, though.

My dream would be if they'd put 'Newsies' in the theater. I'd be there to see it, though I bet they'd find someway to truncate it for the theme park crowds.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

*Mod Note*
    I changed this to "Rumor" because the article says it may be coming to Broadway. And it's paraphrased at that.

They just announced Mary Poppins will close on Broadway in the spring, maybe they will bring that to DCA? I also have heard rumors that Candlelight will be in the theater in 2013, with dinner packages similar to what Epcot has now. Guess time will tell...

Unfortunately, at least in my opinion, as long as Mary has a life touring on the road, they'll never convert the show into a theme park property. There's also too much money to be made with the rights to regional productions across the country, which won't be available until they close the show on Broadway. For instance, as soon as Beauty and the Beast closed and the rights were made available, it quickly became one of the most produced regional shows of all time...up there with Joseph, Godspell, and Cats. Disney will make a killing off the rights.

Great news about Aladdin going to Broadway. I hope Disney considers casting some of the DCA stars in the Broadway musical as their daily performances are truly stellar. I don't see any conflict with Disney keeping the theme park show running while offering a longer play on external stages. Disney has always benefited from synergy.

P. S. For anyone who pines to see Newsies in the theme park: Run, don't walk, to see a the Red Car Newsboys performances on Buena Vista Street in DCA. This is one of Disney's triumphs.
    Last edited by hgkelley; 01-10-2013 at 02:07 AM.

When I attended 'Destination D: 75 Years of Animation' last August at the hotel, Alan Menken played a small piece from the Broadway songs he was working on for 'Aladdin.'

The piece he played for was to be sung by the Genie, who sings about what he'll do once he's free from the lamp. My guess is it comes right before Aladdin gives his 'I'm sorry, I can't do that' moment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12