Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: Guests with multi-day tickets now photographed to curb 'renting'

I think the issue with the reselling/renting is that you obviously cannot sell a fake or invalid ticket. You can put a ticket to a concert up on Stubhub but the expectation is that it's real: if it's fake you're guilty of fraud.

There's no way to sell a valid multi day ticket that has already been used at least once. Disney policy is that tickets are non transferable whether money changes hands, and that trying to use someone else's ticket renders it void. There's no way the resellers can't know about this condition of sale because it's all over the ticket.

These sellers are therefore trying to sell invalid tickets, and that is illegal.

With IDs, again, not everyone has a valid state or school issued ID. A lot of guests, particularly from out of town, are little kids. A lot of school districts don't issue IDs until high school. I went to school in a major city and until I was in 9th grade I didn't have ID. That school ID wasn't legal identification, either.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    What are the other ways? I've only heard it's prohibited on the actual premises of the event in California. Which really is all that matters for this post. Other states laws don't mean anything here.

CPC 346

California Penal Code Section 346 - California Attorney Resources - California Laws

There are several ways it may be against the law. A few of them:

If it was represented as a valid ticket and it was not, that is illegal. If the ticket was stolen and then resold, that is illegal. If the sale of the ticket involved some type of contract with a minor, it may be illegal.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    There are several ways it may be against the law. A few of them:

If it was represented as a valid ticket and it was not, that is illegal. If the ticket was stolen and then resold, that is illegal. If the sale of the ticket involved some type of contract with a minor, it may be illegal.
    Of course, that goes without saying.

I'm talking about people that are reselling legitimate tickets off premises. The only real issue you have to worry about is selling them on site. Which if caught, could result in a misdemeanor.

Unfortunate this has to happen and hold people up. I'm just more than a bit stunned that they couldn't manage to streamline the process a little better, I mean who the heck do they have administrating the place? I'm surprised nobody could have figured out it might work better to have seperate lines for people who need to get their picture taken and those who don't, and a few extra CM's on hand to direct the flow of traffic and perhaps dedicated "photo-taking" CM's. It would probably have sped the process up considerably!
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    It's not illegal to resell tickets at, above, or below face value in CA. It is only illegal to do so on the premises of the event. That's why people looking to buy or sell tickets at a concert are so shady about it.
    really..

Six arrested for illegal theme park ticket sales | WDWMAGIC - Unofficial Walt Disney World discussion forums

given this is in florida, the people were arrested..
    Last edited by Poisonedapples; 01-08-2013 at 04:18 PM.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by kayleigh83 View Post
    a few extra CM's on hand to direct the flow of traffic and perhaps dedicated "photo-taking" CM's. It would probably have sped the process up considerably!
    That would mean spending extra payroll which Disney hates to do.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

In response to the previous, I don't know of any other way reselling tickets in CA is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I think the issue with the reselling/renting is that you obviously cannot sell a fake or invalid ticket. You can put a ticket to a concert up on Stubhub but the expectation is that it's real: if it's fake you're guilty of fraud.

There's no way to sell a valid multi day ticket that has already been used at least once. Disney policy is that tickets are non transferable whether money changes hands, and that trying to use someone else's ticket renders it void. There's no way the resellers can't know about this condition of sale because it's all over the ticket.

These sellers are therefore trying to sell invalid tickets, and that is illegal.

With IDs, again, not everyone has a valid state or school issued ID. A lot of guests, particularly from out of town, are little kids. A lot of school districts don't issue IDs until high school. I went to school in a major city and until I was in 9th grade I didn't have ID. That school ID wasn't legal identification, either.
    But they aren't invalid under the law either. It's just Disney policy. They're telling you that if you're caught doing it they will not allow entry. Just because a company has a policy doesn't make it recognizable under the law. I understand it gets confusing because if you are kicked out of Disneyland for doing it, it's not like you can sue. They can have a policy set, enforce it, and you have no recourse. At the same time, you can't be prosecuted for it either.

There are limits. It's not like Disney can have a policy of not allowing Blacks entry. That's recognized under law.

• Sock Puppet

It's not illegal to resell tickets at, above, or below face value in CA. .

california law says for ticket reselling
    California Allows w/ restrictions CPC 346 It is illegal to sell tickets that were bought for the purpose of resale for more than face value on the grounds of the event venue without the written permission of the event sponsor

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    really..

Six arrested for illegal theme park ticket sales | WDWMAGIC - Unofficial Walt Disney World discussion forums

given this is in florida, still it's disenyland tickets and the people were arrested..
    Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97
    It's not illegal to resell tickets at, above, or below face value in CA.
    Loungefly97 didn't say anything about other states. Different state, whole different set of rules. I don't live in Florida so I don't know what their penal codes are against ticket reselling.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples
    California Allows w/ restrictions CPC 346 It is illegal to sell tickets that were bought for the purpose of resale for more than face value on the grounds of the event venue without the written permission of the event sponsor
    I already posted this. You're missing the most important part. It's only illegal (misdemeanor) to sell on premises..
    Last edited by explodingboy; 01-08-2013 at 04:05 PM.

really..

given this is in florida, still it's disenyland tickets and the people were arrested..

I don't understand what you aren't getting. The law you quote says exactly what I did. The story you posted was not in CA.

•   
    • Minion

In response to the previous, I don't know of any other way reselling tickets in CA is illegal.

But they aren't invalid under the law either. It's just Disney policy. They're telling you that if you're caught doing it they will not allow entry. Just because a company has a policy doesn't make it recognizable under the law. I understand it gets confusing because if you are kicked out of Disneyland for doing it, it's not like you can sue. They can have a policy set, enforce it, and you have no recourse. At the same time, you can't be prosecuted for it either.

There are limits. It's not like Disney can have a policy of not allowing Blacks entry. That's recognized under law.
    The laws don't dictate when the ticket can be valid. They do however dictate conditions of sale and false advertising. The person trying to USE the ticket isn't breaking the law; they're just going to be turned away at the gate.

The person selling that used ticket IS breaking the law. They KNOW that the ticket is not going to be able to be used, but they are putting it forward as a valid park ticket that can be used for entry. That's called fraud, and it's against the law.

If I run a travel agency, I can sell NEW Disney park tickets. I can't sell tickets that were already used at the gate, and tell my customers that they will be able to use them to get into the park. You can't sell something knowing full well that the item can't be used as advertised.

So if I try to get into the park with an invalid ticket and I am turned away, no, I can't sue Disney. I can certainly sue or press charges against the person who sold me the invalid ticket because they broke the law.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    That would mean spending extra payroll which Disney hates to do.
    Most companies do!
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    The laws don't dictate when the ticket can be valid. They do however dictate conditions of sale and false advertising. The person trying to USE the ticket isn't breaking the law; they're just going to be turned away at the gate.

The person selling that used ticket IS breaking the law. They KNOW that the ticket is not going to be able to be used, but they are putting it forward as a valid park ticket that can be used for entry. That's called fraud, and it's against the law.

If I run a travel agency, I can sell NEW Disney park tickets. I can't sell tickets that were already used at the gate, and tell my customers that they will be able to use them to get into the park. You can't sell something knowing full well that the item can't be used as advertised.

So if I try to get into the park with an invalid ticket and I am turned away, no, I can't sue Disney. I can certainly sue or press charges against the person who sold me the invalid ticket because they broke the law.
    If the ticket is new, and not sold on premises though, it's legal.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Loungefly97 didn't say anything about other states. Different state, whole different set of rules. I don't live in Florida so I don't know what their penal codes are against ticket reselling.

I already posted this. You're missing the most important part. It's only illegal (misdemeanor) to sell on premises..
    calsig already said it is illegal in other aspects, if the buyer is underage,if the ticket is invalid etc..

and yeah i know its in Florida that post from , but still the point was they sold illegal tickets and got arrested.it doesnt' matter where it happend..

just because the rented tickets aren't sold on Disneyland property doesn't make it right that they can be soled by a company that probably never got permission to do so from Disneyland in the 1st place.. disneyland tickets are non transferable. You also might need a license to resell the tickets, hence why stub hub is a okay company to buy.
    Last edited by Poisonedapples; 01-08-2013 at 04:29 PM.

• -

Just because a company has a policy doesn't make it recognizable under the law.
    True, that alone isn't enough, but there are circumstances where it is recognizable.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast