Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Michael Colglazier new President of Disneyland. Kalogridis moves to WDW

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Would promoting someone from within TDA's organization been so out of the question for once? I don't know anything about Colglazier, only what's gone on at Animal Kingdom. Everest, Nemo, great decisions... But over 7 years? Need a l'il more than that. Plenty more issues with the park and it's still a half-day experience. And for what it's worth I'm sure pinning the Avatarland issue on him is completely unfair.. doubt he had anything to do with inking the deal it was just dumped onto Animal Kingdom. However with WDW in general it seems like unless something gets dumped on them(New Fantasyland, Star tours II), things don't happen.
    If you mean half day park because of the hours they keep, yes I agree. But if you mean there's not enough to do I'd have to disagree. We could not see/do everything and got there when it opened. Yes, it could use some more stuff (other than Avatar) to give more options for guests. Agree completely on people dumping on the guy for Avatarland or just all of the doubts about him in general. I think they learned their lesson with Ed G and won't make the same mistake...people just need to give the guy a chance before going in to doom and gloom mode.

• Inappropriate

Animal Kingdom's VP, eh? Something to look forward to: the abominable snowman in the Matterhorn to break...forever.

Okay, I have no idea what a VP does. For all I know, he's pushed to get Everest's yeti fixed, but I couldn't pass up the joke.

• Nic

Was he instrumental in Expedition Everest? If so, maybe we could see a renaissance in attractions without movies attached.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

This thread hadn't yet been posted on the WDW Board yet, copied this thread to their Board to ask about the new guy coming to DLR...

I think, based on what little I know, is that I'd prefer Mary Niven had gotten the nod. Maybe they're bringing in the guy from Orlando to swing the ax in the upcoming layoffs at TDA Al posted about yesterday. Sounds like something a TDO person would be good at - cutting costs...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

This is a joke, right? Have you read his bio. He has done nothing substantial in the context of qualifying him to be the president of Disneyland. I see a lot of standard corporate accomplishments but nothing specifically outstanding worth mentioning expect for expanding the photopass system. That's it. He's just improved Photopass. And now he gets the regins of Disneyland. And he has no personal connection to Disneyland. We don't need a another "Team WDW", Orlando based overseer. We need someone who actually cares about Disneyland.

Look on the bright side, he doesn't seem to change/innovate much or bring much to the table, good or bad. so hopefully Disneyland will survive the next 3 years with little to no negative changes. Sure, Disneyland might go stale a little bit, but hopefully nothing will be broken.

Michael Colglazier official Bio:

On January 9, 2013, Michael A. Colglazier, a 23-year veteran of The Walt Disney Company, was named president of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif. Michael will oversee a workforce of 25,000 cast members at the 500-acre resort, which includes the world-famous Disneyland Park, the newly expanded Disney California Adventure Park, the classic Disneyland Hotel, Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, the Paradise Pier Hotel and Downtown Disney. His appointment will be effective February 1, 2013.

Since 2010, Michael has served as vice president of Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park, where he led more than 3,000 cast members. During this time, Michael oversaw day-to-day operations and was instrumental in the initial planning and development stages of the new Avatar-themed experiences being planned for the park.

Prior to his role with Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Michael served as a vice president on the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts’ Global Development team where he was responsible for identifying new global growth and business opportunities for the Parks and Resorts segment. From 2003 to 2007, Michael served as vice president of Disney Photo Imaging, where he spearheaded the invention and growth of Disney’s “PhotoPass” service, creating an industry-changing, web-based business model that creates value from the millions of photos captured each year in Disney parks.

As vice president of Operations Strategy and Technology for Walt Disney World Resort from 2000 to 2003, Michael was responsible for managing the labor needed to operate four theme parks, all of the resort’s 17 hotels, two water parks and Downtown Disney. In addition, Michael led business and technology teams to create new experiences for guests.

Other positions include serving as general manager of Innoventions at both Epcot and Disneyland parks, and manager of project development at Disneyland Resort. Michael began his career with the company in 1989 as a corporate analyst with The Walt Disney Company.

Born and raised in Indiana, Michael graduated from Stanford University with a bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering, and received his master’s degree from Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration.

Michael has been active in the Central Florida community, serving on the boards and committees for The Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra, The Association of Zoos and Aquariums, The Orlando Science Center and the Florida Film Economic Advisory Council.

Michael’s Disney Career – At a Glance

Disneyland Resort - Anaheim, California
    President February 1, 2013 to present
    Manager, Project Development 1991 – 1992

Walt Disney World Resort - Orlando, Florida
    Vice President, Disney Animal Kingdom Park 2010 to January 31, 2013
    Vice President, Disney Photo Imaging 2003 – 2007
    Vice President, Operations Strategy and Technology 2000 – 2003
    General Manager, Epcot and Disneyland Innoventions 1994 – 2000

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
    Vice President, Global Development 2007 – 2010

The Walt Disney Company
    Corporate Strategic Planning Analyst/Sr. Analyst 1989 – 1991
    Last edited by orbitalpunk; 01-09-2013 at 02:36 PM.

• Senior Minion

Prior to his role with Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Michael served as a vice president on the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts’ Global Development team where he was responsible for identifying new global growth and business opportunities for the Parks and Resorts segment.

From 2003 to 2007, Michael served as vice president of Disney Photo Imaging, where he spearheaded the invention and growth of Disney’s “PhotoPass” service, creating an industry-changing, web-based business model that creates value from the millions of photos captured each year in Disney parks.

...Other positions include serving as general manager of Innoventions at both Epcot and Disneyland parks

...Michael began his career with the company in 1989 as a corporate analyst with The Walt Disney Company.

Anyone who wonders what Iger & Staggs' vision is for Disneyland, you're seeing it here.

This guy is pure Disney Parks® suit.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I'm not worried. Considering the main man charge wants to "keep the momentum of 2012 going"
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Closed Account

I thought he was also in charge of PI during the whole closign debacle/?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Anyone who wonders what Iger & Staggs' vision is for Disneyland, you're seeing it here.

This guy is pure Disney Parks® suit.
    Heck yeah!

• Still Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    This is a joke, right? Have you read his bio. He has done nothing substantial in the context of qualifying him to be the president of Disneyland. I see a lot of standard corporate accomplishments but nothing specifically outstanding worth mentioning expect for expanding the photopass system. That's it. He's just improved Photopass. And now he gets the regins of Disneyland. And he has no personal connection to Disneyland. We don't need a another "Team WDW", Orlando based overseer. We need someone who actually cares about Disneyland.

Look on the bright side, he doesn't seem to change/innovate much or bring much to the table, good or bad. so hopefully Disneyland will survive the next 3 years with little to no negative changes. Sure, Disneyland might go stale a little bit, but hopefully nothing will be broken.
    George was a WDW person too before he ended up at Disneyland.

That's why think he was brought to TDA - to cut costs aka, layoff TDA people per Al's column...

But I have to agree with Wiggins, he's a suit, an "analyst" from Burbank who earned his way up the ladder in Orlando, now I'm starting to become worried...

• Member of Baxter's Army

Started in Strategic Planning. That should just about say it all.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

LOL. oh I just have to laugh at this shake up. I'm all for WDW getting some new management, new direction and new tatics, but Disneyland... well good luck there. I sure won't be visiting Disneyland at all through 2013, maybe 2014. Eager to see the WDW I'm use to and enjoy versus the new one once the new guy takes over in the coming visits in the next 2 years.

I have a visit in Feb/March for WDW and then another one planned for WDW holiday season. I would think that would be a big enough gap to see a difference, if any.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

KalogridisMagic!

So disappointed to hear this news, I was hoping it wasn't going to happen. Hopefully with Lassester and Iger nearby not a lot will not change.

Disneyland is my last hope. I feel that all of the other parks are no longer what they used to be. Paris was fantastic the week it opened but after several visits over the first few years it has been completely dumbed down.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast