Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Disney's MagicBand wrist band to replace paper tickets

It's just as info stealing as a rewards card. Reward cards are marvelous to a business.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    There's got to be a backup plan. If they were smart enough, there should be an alternative solution if a situation arises. This should be a part of the planning processes along with figuring out how to make the system as redundant as possible.
    Is there a backup plan for the current system?

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

I'm not 100% sure. Many businesses have "what if" solutions. They've probably ironed out the current system so much that they have documentation on how to fix certain problems and what to do if those problems arise.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    How is this creepy. It's just like those people who wear their tickets on a lanyard. This will just have more convenient capabilities.
    Well, for one, ever see Minority Report?

If they can do that, they can also FIND YOU. Maybe have a SWAT team positioned around your hotel room.

Maybe just send in a Predator drone.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Computers are wonderful when they work. They do marvelous things. On the other hand, I can imagine the scenario of thousands of guests waiting at the turnstyles, because the system is down.

I'm pretty sure the current system uses computers as well. We're just switching from Magnetic Strip to RFID. The only issue now is that and the FP system going down.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Isn`t this happening just to WDW for now. I thought Anaheim was a year away from this. They haven`t started enforcing FP return times yet.

Replay of the ABC video here

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/01/08...band-bracelet/
    Last edited by Jerryp49; 01-09-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It would be great if they offered it to passholders as well.
    It will be. Only one day tickets will stick with paper, and those will still be RFID -embedded.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    Isn`t this happening just to WDW for now. I thought Anaheim was a year away from this. They haven`t started enforcing FP return times yet.

Replay of the ABC video here

Disney Magic Spreads With Electronic MagicBand Bracelet CBS Miami
    Yes they just rolled these out in WDW. No timeline has been announced for DLR, other than it will come later.

BTW, that's a CBS not ABC video.

•   
    • Minion

I think it's a cool idea not sure how anyone can spin this negatively since it's optional. As far as being worried about being tracked you already are in the parks when you buy a ticket use a credit card get a fast pass. This system isnt introducing anything new really except the band itself and the new reserving times for FPs.

For those of you who haven't been to WdW if you stay on property your room key is your tickets as well. If the system is down of course there is a back up plan that would be silly to think there isn't one. In WdW you provide a photo ID that should match your room key. I am guessing your name would be on this like a AP has your name on it.

That's really cool! I myself love to embrace new technology, or at least something new and I would love to try it out! True, I would still bring my AP pass with me just in case, but the ability to flash my wrist instead of having to fumble around with my wallet* is just a major relief to me.

*Little back story. To keep everything together and from getting wet, I always bring my possessions in zip lock sandwich bags (Phone/wallet in one bag in left pocket, iPod, ear buds, and glasses wipe in another bag in right pocket). It's in case my pants get wet while riding, let's say, Splash Mountain or Grizzly River Run my possessions won't be hit with water. Plus, the extra air when it's sealed it keeps the bag in my pockets, making it highly likely to leave my pockets during a rough ride. Plus, the holes to my pockets are small, making the bags harder with that extra air in it to get out, which deters pick-pocketers and, as stated above, the likely hood of my possessions falling out. However, it has become a pain to try and fumble out my wallet for my Annual Pass and put it back in, so like stated above, it would be such a relief to just flash a wrist instead of having to go through the trouble. Of course that is just my situation. For someone else the band thing could be different.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

How much do you think it costs to produce one of the bands? Would they also have to go and chage all the locks on hotel room doors?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Lambs to the slaughter...

• Halloween 2011

I've been looking into RFID recently, and the fact that tags can be read from a distance both pleases and worries me. It pleases me from a retail standpoint (especially when doing inventory on RFID'd items) in that things can be scanned and read from a distance, not one at a time. Disney guests will no longer have to stand in lines to present their tickets.

HOWEVER

Thieves can obtain RFID readers and scan all that personal data loaded on the card. Pin required? I just read that the most popular pin number is 1234. Or a birthdate (so handy that your personal info is also located on that wristband). Credit Card transactions? Many clerks these days don't even ask for ID, and transactions under $25 don't even require a pin.

Then, as others have pointed out, what happens when the Disney scanner goes down, or the database gets corrupted (they all do), or the computers go down, or the power goes out? How do they suddenly accommodate a park full of ticketless, hotel-room-keyless, walletless guests?

So how much are ticket prices going to soar for this setup? I mean those bracelets with a chip in them and the new scanners arent cheap. And if the can be used for buying stuff, can they be scanned by scammers and replicated for fraud?
    Last edited by bheuett; 01-10-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast