Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Disney's MagicBand wrist band to replace paper tickets

[QUOTE=dougeebear;105689399

Thieves can obtain RFID readers and scan all that personal data loaded on the card. Pin required? I just read that the most popular pin number is 1234. Or a birthdate (so handy that your personal info is also located on that wristband). Credit Card transactions? Many clerks these days don't even ask for ID, and transactions under $25 don't even require a pin.
    [/QUOTE]

I have the same concerns. I read that the range of the RFID reader is something like 18 inches. but what if you`re cheek to cheek in a Resort elevator.It would be easy to scan someone elses wristband, and follow them to get their room number

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bheuett View Post
    So how much are ticket prices going to soar for this setup?
    They'll soar, but not because NextGen is expensive to launch and operate. In the business philosophy of the beancounters running Disney Parks, NextGen "creates value." Value which justifies price increases.

From the official bio of Michael Colglazier, Disneyland's new president:

"From 2003 to 2007, Michael served as vice president of Disney Photo Imaging, where he spearheaded the invention and growth of Disney’s “PhotoPass” service, creating an industry-changing, web-based business model that creates value from the millions of photos captured each year in Disney parks."

NextGen and its various spinoffs are Disney's new Corporate Imagineering: theme park creativity for beancounters. They don't innovate in art or immersive environments, they innovate new ways to squeeze more gold from the same goose.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-10-2013 at 07:29 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

This is a misconception about RFIDs. RFIDs are not usually loaded with information due to this reason. Instead, each one is given a unique ID code. When the chip is scanned with an RFID reader, that reader contacts a server and the RFID code is matched up with the information. The most information thieves can obtain from the RFID is the Unique ID code. They, then have to hack or try to get into the server that contains the information.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    I wonder what the policy is for lost bands. I'm sure it will happen alot. Unless they are those clip ones that you can't take off unless with scissors, like they give at concerts and such.
    I am sure they will be removable. Those wristbands with the adhesive suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    This is just the preparation for RFID chips embedded into the back of your hand, patent #666.
    That sounds pretty awesome! I can get behind that patent number.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Lambs to the slaughter...
    And if Man were meant to fly he would have been given wings, right?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by bheuett View Post
    So how much are ticket prices going to soar for this setup?
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Blew By You

Will Disney own the information it gathers outright? I am not comfortable with the notion of my information helping Disney make even more profits and not giving me back my information.
    Or is something not to worry about?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    Will Disney own the information it gathers outright? I am not comfortable with the notion of my information helping Disney make even more profits and not giving me back my information.
    It's something not to worry about.
    Last edited by calsig31; 01-10-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Senior Minion

Will Disney own the information it gathers outright?
    Of course. It will doubtless be so stated in the fine print that customers will automatically agree to when they strap on a MagicBand wrist band.

I am not comfortable with the notion of my information helping Disney make even more profits and not giving me back my information.
    Given the ease of hacking RFID passwords and databases that is being reported with ever-increasing frequency, plus Disney's notoriety for doing things on the cheap and their chronic inter-division communication dysfunction (they couldn't even accomplish a monorail upgrade without screwing it up seven ways from Sunday), their theme park division is the last company I'd trust with personal data.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I don't like being tracked. I often avoid using the rewards cards, and I use cash. I also dislike having a lot of information in one place.

So yes, I think a system like this creeps me out. Too much.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I don't like being tracked. I often avoid using the rewards cards, and I use cash. I also dislike having a lot of information in one place.

So yes, I think a system like this creeps me out. Too much.
    The credit card linking thing is optional. If you opt to use cash instead of using a card I fail to see how this is creepy. It is basically just wearing your ticket on your wrist instead of keeping it on your pocket.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I can see this going through beta testing and then not working as planned and the plan will be scrapped. If they do intend to use this system, will there be recycling bins to re-use these bracelets or what?

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    This is a misconception about RFIDs. RFIDs are not usually loaded with information due to this reason. Instead, each one is given a unique ID code. When the chip is scanned with an RFID reader, that reader contacts a server and the RFID code is matched up with the information. The most information thieves can obtain from the RFID is the Unique ID code. They, then have to hack or try to get into the server that contains the information.
    Im not worried about credit card linking. Im more concerned with someone reading your RFID code and cloning it to unlock your room

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    Im not worried about credit card linking. Im more concerned with someone reading your RFID code and cloning it to unlock your room
    I wouldn't worry about this at all. When dealing with these kinds of issues corporations have to prove they have government regulated security protocols in place so that customer information is secure. My company has all of these processes in place. I imagine Disney will have a even better system because they are a bigger corporation and can't take the negative impact of a customer information being stolen. The way my company deals with wireless transactions is to encrypt the packages using certain standards. That information isn't decryptable until it hits a secure server. There is more to it that that but that's a summarized version of something called Personal Credit Information or PCI compliance which any retail establishment must adhere to for our protection.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I wouldn't worry about this at all. When dealing with these kinds of issues corporations have to prove they have government regulated security protocols in place so that customer information is secure. My company has all of these processes in place. I imagine Disney will have a even better system because they are a bigger corporation and can't take the negative impact of a customer information being stolen. The way my company deals with wireless transactions is to encrypt the packages using certain standards. That information isn't decryptable until it hits a secure server. There is more to it that that but that's a summarized version of something called Personal Credit Information or PCI compliance which any retail establishment must adhere to for our protection.
    This pretty much sums it up. In addition, the code to enter the room is not enough. They would need to know what room the code belonged to as well.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast