Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• -

Re: Disney's MagicBand wrist band to replace paper tickets

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    I just read that the most popular pin number is 1234.
    That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    This pretty much sums it up. In addition, the code to enter the room is not enough. They would need to know what room the code belonged to as well.
    I used the example of being cheek to cheek in the elevator, scanned, and then being followed to your room. DVD movies are encrypted and there are free programs out there to decrypt them to copy them to your computer.There are people putting card scanners at ATMs, and gas stations. Hopefully Disneys system will be secure.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    I used the example of being cheek to cheek in the elevator, scanned, and then being followed to your room. DVD movies are encrypted and there are free programs out there to decrypt them to copy them to your computer.There are people putting card scanners at ATMs, and gas stations. Hopefully Disneys system will be secure.
    If they are taking the time to follow you to your room they will find a way in anyway.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post

That is true there are programs that do that and people use machines to try and steal information from stores. We catch them a lot in our stores and hand them over to the police. There is a great deal of security that retail establishments have to go through in order to protect our information. Just because the general population doesn't see it doesn't mean there isn't safety protocols in existence. I know we all like to panic when something is on the news but if you think about the amount of information out there getting your information hacked is pretty slim. It's like anything else in life sure it can happen but will it happen to you.... probably not.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I wouldn't worry about this at all. When dealing with these kinds of issues corporations have to prove they have government regulated security protocols in place so that customer information is secure. My company has all of these processes in place. I imagine Disney will have a even better system because they are a bigger corporation and can't take the negative impact of a customer information being stolen.
    The number of incidents in just the last few years where major corporations and government agencies have had their customer data stolen are too numerous to list. Of those, the number where poor corporate security practices were a contributing factor is shockingly high.

Even a casual survey of recent literature demonstrates that corporate concern for "the negative impact of customer information being stolen" is no assurance that customer information is safe.

IMO it's wishful thinking to assume that the Disney Corporation would be any more successful at securing its customer data than the numerous banks, insurance companies, major retailers, educational institutions and government agencies that have recently had theirs stolen.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-10-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• former CM

It's $800,000,000 on display, like two or three huge-budget movies in a row.

Will this be money well spent?
    We'll see--one year before Thomas Staggs is suppose to take over for Iger as CEO in 2015.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    It's $800,000,000 on display, like two or three huge-budget movies in a row.

Will this be money well spent?
    We'll see
    --one year before Thomas Staggs is suppose to take over for Iger as CEO in 2015.
    It's doubtful that we'll see the results either way. It took a decade of failure before Disney was finally forced to sorta-kinda admit that DCA 1.0 -- a product that was in the open for all to see -- was a flop. NextGen and its various thinkalike initiatives are not John Carter with public box office figures. Whether it succeeds or fails depends on how Disney's corporate PR machine defines "success" and "failure" publicly and, especially, internally. And in both cases it is unlikely that admission of failure will be an option.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Firstly, I absolutely hate photopass and the idea of linking it to a wristband with your credit card info for optional charges makes me sick. Next time I go to DLR I'm going to bring green money to pay for everything as my own personal protest instead of using my credit card like I normally do. It's like they want to turn the park into roller coaster tycoon where you can click on each park guest and know how much they spent and how much they have and what they bought and where.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Well I'm not against the wrist bands...im against how these will make tickets go up in prices...sign

• The doctor is in

Another thing about these, are you able to keep the wristbands after your trip is over or do you have to turn them back into Disney so they can be reused?

I personally like to keep my Disneyland passes and put them into a scrapbook so that would suck if you couldn't keep your ticket anymore.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Still Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenchanter View Post
    Firstly, I absolutely hate photopass and the idea of linking it to a wristband with your credit card info for optional charges makes me sick. Next time I go to DLR I'm going to bring green money to pay for everything as my own personal protest instead of using my credit card like I normally do. It's like they want to turn the park into roller coaster tycoon where you can click on each park guest and know how much they spent and how much they have and what they bought and where.
    Makes you sick? Really? I guess I can get not liking it, but sick? Is it seriously that offensive to you that disney wants to make things more efficient and improve their ability to make revenue?

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenchanter View Post
    It's like they want to turn the park into roller coaster tycoon where you can click on each park guest and know how much they spent and how much they have and what they bought and where.

That is exactly what they want to know.

And the thing where characters will greet you by name? Nuh-uh. It's like Minority Report, with the advertising screens that know who you are.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The option to make things more efficient is fine. However, don't take away my option to do things the old fashioned way. There's already too many places that don't take cash. Too many places I need a username and a password to find out my own information. It's for my own safety. It's also for my own annoyance.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Chief Troublemaker

As long as parts of this are optional, I don't have a problem with it. Admission, Fastpass, Room key, maybe even an ability to pre-load money are all fine with me. Credit card info (which might include home address, phone, etc for billing verification), probably not. I know it's all going to be encrypted and Disney will try to be very proactive about protecting its guests.

It's all about what is comfortable to each of us. No 'right or wrong', just what you feel comfortable with. I can't see Disney forcing its guests into using the bracelet as a charge card.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Thumbs down Re: Disney's MagicBand wrist band to replace paper tickets

Interesting thread; lots of good pro&conments. I think I don't like the idea for a very old-fashioned reason: that it is a visual signal that I am a "business object". Much like when you are admitted to a hospital, are wristbanded, and thus immediately distinguished as "meat" to the doctors, nurses, orderlies, administrators. I can't help feeling like a dog in a kennel with one of those things locked on my wrist, and cut it off the moment I'm released.

If Disney starts to use these bracelets, I rather suspect they will be similarly non-removable until you decide that you're through with this DLR visit. Otherwise, particularly with kids, they will have all sorts of problems with removed, missing, lost, not to mention exchanged/traded/resold bracelets.

Will the bracelets be visually color-coded, so that staff can tell your status at a glance? Platinum (silver)/gold for Club 33 members, red for AP, blue for regular admissions, black for VIPs, etc.?

The personal tracking/locating possibilities are both unsettling and interesting. It might end lost-children problems if all the parent has to do is ask the nearest CM to electronically locate the wanderer-off. [I am getting flash-forwards of all CMs wearing electronic "tricorders" around their necks like the staff in Apple Stores ...]
    ______
    Rachane

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast