Ridemax or Touringplans.com and Kids

The last time I was at Disneyland was at the tail end of April 2010 with just my wife and I (no kids) and we used Ridemax to plan out our 4 days there. It turned out to be quite slow while we were there and we really didn't need our Ridemax plans. We had done everything we wanted in two days and the other two days were doing all the things we really liked over and over again.

I'm taking the whole crew there this time (4 kids 5 and under) the second week of March for 4 days and from what I can tell it could be quite busy because of Spring Break. I would like to use a program like Ridemax again to make sure we get to do everything we would like to do and have it not be the most insane time of my life.

Since my last visit I've found Touringplans.com as well and I'm curious if anyone has an opinion about which service is better, or if there are services out there that I don't know about that would be even better.

Also if anyone has any tips for a sucker going to Disneyland with 4 small children, or tips in general, that would be appreciated. For someone who lives 1400+ miles away and doesn't get to go very often I'm quite familiar with the parks and the services they offer. However, I'm sure there are many things I don't know about that you could enlighten me on. I'm also new to the forums so If this has already been covered somewhere, I'm sorry.

• Under that tree again!

Re: Ridemax or Touringplans.com and Kids

Welcome to Micechat!

If you liked Ridemax, I'd use it again. Also now there are lots of apps, like Disney's Mobile Magic, Mousewait, and TP Lines, that have wait time data to help you find the short lines.

Do you know about or have you used Rider Switch?
    Do you know about World of Color, how to see it?

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Welcome to Micechat!

Do you know about or have you used Rider Switch?
    Do you know about World of Color, how to see it?
    I do know about the Rider Switch and plan on taking full advantage of that. We also have a teenage nephew coming along to help us out too.

I know about World of Color but don't know the good spots to get or how early to get there. When we went in 2010 World of Color hadn't opened yet, we went in April and WoC and The Little Mermaid were set to open in the summer. So any tips on that would be great. The Rivers of America were also closed the last time we went so we didn't get to see Fantasmic either.

I have both. I use Ridemax to plan out our schedule and the ride order. It is much better because you can customize it and rework the schedule if a ride is broken down. I use Touring plans before I get into the park to see which days are going to be more crowded.
    ​Mama to four beautiful girls!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by MTaylo050 View Post
    I know about World of Color but don't know the good spots to get or how early to get there. When we went in 2010 World of Color hadn't opened yet, we went in April and WoC and The Little Mermaid were set to open in the summer. So any tips on that would be great. The Rivers of America were also closed the last time we went so we didn't get to see Fantasmic either.
    LM is very easy to ride, it has high capacity and almost always a short line so ride it at your leisure.

For WoC, you need to get FPs from the FP kiosks at Grizzly River Run. These FPs will not be affected by or affect your other FP collection. There are two viewing areas Blue on the east and Yellow on the west of Paradise Park, the tiered viewing area. The tickets are distributed first show, blue then yellow, then later shows blue then yellow. Depending when you want to see the show, and were from, it takes a little luck to get the right ticket. Tickets don't go fast, likely around 11 it will go to the later show and tickets will be gone mid to late afternoon.

You can also get WoC ticket with dining packages. Wine Country Trattoria sells a meal package with them for dinner and the viewing area is in the front and just to the east. Carthay Theater offers them with lunch and dinner, but you have to order an entree plus app or desser, I'd recommend this if you want a full meal anyway. The Carthay Theatre viewing is in the back just to the west of center. Also available is a WCT lunch that gets you a blue FP, and a picnics you preorder online for yellow FPs.

Finally with the Glow in the Show ear hats a special viewing section is set up. I have yet to view WoC with this new development and don't have details, but you still need a FP to get in.

To get a good view, you need to arrive just before or at the early return time. Don't head right for the front, view are good from and level. Do get a spot along a railing so there is nobody directly in front of you.

Be courteous and keep your kids off your shoulders.

F! may be showing nightly at that time, or maybe weekends and Friday only. That's about the time in transistions, along with fireworks to nightly.

Quote Originally Posted by MTaylo050 View Post

Since my last visit I've found Touringplans.com as well and I'm curious if anyone has an opinion about which service is better, or if there are services out there that I don't know about that would be even better.

Touringplans... one they're a partner here... but even before that, their data is second to none. Plus the price is cheaper, especially if you own the book... ($10 at Amazon gives you a discount rate to the website) then you get the "lines" app, which gives you both the plans and the wait times. (the *REAL* wait times, not the "fake" posted ones other apps have.

The amount of Data they collect, and the "master" programming behind it is very impressive...

• Keepin' it calsteady

I've used both, but I last used Ridemax a long time ago. TouringPlans was easier because it was web-based instead of an application you have to download. I remember Ridemax allowing more flexibility as far as adding breaks into the schedule, but they work about the same. TouringPlans Lines app is worth buying, too.

Ridemax and TouringPlans are most helpful for general planning, in my experience, rather than printing out schedules to try to follow. Go through a few plans with either one and you'll see the patterns of when to go on when. You're going to have lots of time at the parks so there's no problem of seeing everything you want, you just want to minimize wait times. With kids, that's not easy because there aren't Fastpasses in Fantasyland and those rides are less busy only at times when kids are asleep!

The main thing you need to do is collect Fastpasses as often as you can, including going out of your way to grab one rather than waiting until you happen to be in the area. If you have other adults in your group, you can send one off to get FPs while you take the kids to a ride or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    I've used both, but I last used Ridemax a long time ago. TouringPlans was easier because it was web-based instead of an application you have to download. I remember Ridemax allowing more flexibility as far as adding breaks into the schedule, but they work about the same. TouringPlans Lines app is worth buying, too.

Ridemax and TouringPlans are most helpful for general planning, in my experience, rather than printing out schedules to try to follow. Go through a few plans with either one and you'll see the patterns of when to go on when. You're going to have lots of time at the parks so there's no problem of seeing everything you want, you just want to minimize wait times. With kids, that's not easy because there aren't Fastpasses in Fantasyland and those rides are less busy only at times when kids are asleep!
    I liked the flexibility that Ridemax had so if touringplans isn't as flexible I may just use that. Also, if there website is to be believed, they now have a web version of their software that works on mobile devices too. I have already downloaded the free touringplans app so I should hopefully be covered there.