Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Guests under 3: verification?

It's unfortunate that innocent parents of older-appearing children are often suspected of lying. The suspicion, however, rather than being a "judging a book by its cover" reaction, I think is more often a case of reacting from experience -- often from long experience. I can testify from experience that lying parents are very common at ticketed events that offer children's prices, and even more common where junior's tickets are available.

The sad reality is that movie theaters, theme parks and honest parents of large-for-their-age children are all victims of the lowlife parents who deliberately lie about the age of their children. It's a bad situation all around, and one which has no cure other than for businesses to require proof of age. Which, as we have seen, is unacceptable to most parents, whose usual reaction to skepticism about their child's age is anger.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-11-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• -

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    I don't know what's worse -- that she taught her kid to lie and bragged about it, or the fact that she hasn't taken him back to Disneyland since, and that was 6 years ago now.
    Teaching the kid that it is ok to steal from others is always worse than not taking them to Disneyland.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    Here's the thing that bugs me about this. It's not the parent or the cast member, it's someone who doesn't have all the facts making a final judgement. Do you 100% know for sure the child was over age? If not, then it's not your business. Like someone pointed out, there are larger children and I've seen it. I've known kids who look to be 5 and they are 2 years old, and I've seen it the other way, kids that are older and look younger than they are. Heck, most people think I'm 10 or more years younger than I am. Just because you look at someone and think they should be this or that, doesn't mean you are right.
    My granddaughter is like this. My daughter calls her a monster baby. We went at Christmas, and a CM asked me when she was turning *4*. I said "In 3 years." She is 1 (one) and 37". She turned 2 yesterday. She is taller than her 3yo cousin. We will be carrying her birth certificate the next few visits. And on her third birthday, she will have an AP.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    My granddaughter is like this. My daughter calls her a monster baby. We went at Christmas, and a CM asked me when she was turning *4*. I said "In 3 years." She is 1 (one) and 37". She turned 2 yesterday. She is taller than her 3yo cousin. We will be carrying her birth certificate the next few visits. And on her third birthday, she will have an AP.
    I like the fact that you'll be bringing along her birth cert. if I was a parent with a larger child and knew that I might be questioned about his/her age, I would have no problem carrying a copy. I would like to think a lot of honest parents would not have a problem proving their child's age. It's the dishonest ones that will stand there and argue and thus get away doing the wrong thing.

This subject really irks me. Parents have a responsibility to raise honest and respectable children who will grow up to be honest and respectable adults.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Ask any movie theater manager, and they'll tell you endless stories of the sick little cons that parents play to save a few bucks on their kid's ticket.
    My wife is a movie theater manager......her theater has a policy of no charge for kids under 3 but they also have a policy of no kids under 5 in rated R movies regardless. Some parents actually try to beat both....with some pretty comical results

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    I also don't think that a $10 difference in ticket prices for kids versus adults is all that much of a difference at this point. It was when general admission was $42 (yes, I remember when it was that much).
    I remember when it was $7.75 and children under 3 could get in for free but their parents still had to pay $ for tickets to experience most attractions. So I guess we can chalk this up as one more reason Disney should not have done away with the ticket books

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    My son has been carrying around a State ID (looks like a drivers license, but isn't) since he was 11 years old......because he has always been not only taller and more mature looking than his age but also more mature in his manner. We got it for him because our favorite Mongolian restaurant kept charging him full adult fare even though their policy was half price for kids under 13
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Yeah...I'm cool

maybe they should do like the mongolian restaurant by me and charge by height?
    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

•   
    • Minion

It can be a difficult situation. There are a lot of kids out there who genuinely look older than they are, or are far more developmentally advanced than their peers - I've seen two year olds who can carry on complete conversations and kids who are legitimately 3 who look 5 or 6. At the other end of the spectrum you have kids who always look younger than their age and can pass as a 3 year old when they're well beyond. As an onlooker there's just no way to tell.

I guess the only thing for a parent to do in a situation with a child who looks older than they are would be to carry their birth certificate or some form of state ID as others have mentioned - I know some parents choose to do that to end the debate.

Parents who lie about their kids' ages unfortunately have been around forever. When I was little, this joke was popular (kids under 5 rode the bus for free):

Bus driver to child: How old are you?
    Child: 4.
    Bus driver: When will you be 5?
    Child: When I get off the bus.
    Last edited by Malina; 01-12-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Teaching the kid that it is ok to steal from others is always worse than not taking them to Disneyland.
    lol so true

I guess I meant to imply that she didn't really go to Disneyland because she wanted him to experience it, but rather because she was doing it for herself and stopped going when it was no longer convenient (i.e., when she had to pay for him).

I always wonder how much the under 3 set will actually remember later, anyway...

It's probably a good idea for kids to have IDs these days.

• Hooterville, USA

My wife is a lead at the Main Gate and they are taught to not ask about age any longer. So that CM was wrong.

Secondly, if you really want to know a kid's age, ask the kid. Unless taught to lie, they will tell you the truth.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

That's very astonishing, I'm a Ticketing Coordinator (kind of DL Working Lead) at the Disneyland Park Main Gate (Disneyland Paris) and we always have to ask when we have a doubt about the age of a child who seems to be more than two years old.

Guest Relations & Ticketing Coordinator @ Disneyland Paris
    English is not my mother tongue, I hope you would forgive me for my spelling mistakes.

• Disneymom

I am the parent of children that do not look their age but much younger. I also used to sit or a boy that looked much older, being taller and huskier than some kids. I don't like the assumption people make about a child's age. Children as well as adults come in all sizes. I don't know how old the child was but I would assume either. My son looked 4 or 5 when he was in fact 9. He weighed 21 lb at three years of age (that's size of most 18 month olds. We went to WDW and he was upset cause he was 7 and couldn't go on the Dinosaurs ride cause he was so small. He cried but We got thru it. Just because the child was bigger doesn't mean he is older. But I feel that even if he was alittle older, we cares. It's one child in a million. As long as we are doing what we feel is right let others take care of themselves. Sorry or my rant.

When I worked at an airline we would have parents try and scam the system and not pay for a ticket for their 3 or 4 year olds. Under 2 could fly free as a lap child. But we required documentation if we were in doubt the child was under 2, and well the parents ended up not flying or paying a pretty penny on a last minute fare.

• Disneymom

Quote Originally Posted by krpink View Post
    I guess the worst part was that the parent was setting such a bad example for their kids. And I understand that some children are larger, as I work with children aged 18 months to 8 years old. This child could not even fit in the stroller. And it was obvious that the parent was lying but the look on their face and their sense of accomplishment when they were allowed in.

As someone who works in child development, its hard to see parents behaving so poorly. I don't want to judge others, but it was just one example of many things I saw that day, including the child being towed by an ECV.
    About the stroller being pushed by someone in a ECV, I say good for them for being ingenious for finding away to take care of their child even tho they themselves needed assistance witht the ECV.

• Banned User

I think the 3 year old policy should be gamed because it is unfair. There is virtually no difference between a child's ticket and an adult's ticket. A child's ticket used to cost significantly less than an adult's ticket, but now, it is a few dollar's less.

I have a 3 year old, but she acts very much like an 2 year old toddler and has a very small vocabulary. She enjoys going on carnival style rides over and over again. The carousel is a big hit. She loves Winnie the Pooh. You can forget about going on the big E-Ticket rides although she is barely 40 inches tall and no attendant will refuse entry. The content and intensity of most rides are not suitable for her.

She can't last the whole day. She needs a stroller since she refuses to walk much. I am lucky to get 4 hours out of her in a visit.

Thus, I tell them she is under 3 years old and will probably do so when she turns 4 years old in a few months.

Personally, Disneyland should increase the age in which they charge kids to be 5 years old, but the prices should be at least $20 cheaper. By increasing the age, people will cheat the system of the older aged kids, which is why I think they should keep things as they are and mainly focus on kids that do look like they are 5 years old and older.
    Last edited by StevenW; 01-16-2013 at 01:54 PM.

• Long live the Fire Lord

Quote Originally Posted by lou_mom View Post
    About the stroller being pushed by someone in a ECV, I say good for them for being ingenious for finding away to take care of their child even tho they themselves needed assistance witht the ECV.
    I wouldn't say towing=taking care of.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast