Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Guests under 3: verification?

I went to the park this past Monday and saw something interesting happen. A family next to us was going through the turnstiles with a stroller. The child in the stroller looked at least 5 years old, probably closer to 6. The mom insisted he was under 3. The CM at the turnstile asked her several times if she was sure her child was under 3, then rolled her year, and allowed the stroller to pass. At what point should the CM ask for some sort of verification? It was so obvious that this child was way over 3 and the mother was lying. I was disgusted by the incident and that the CM allowed it to happen. I could tell she didn't believe the mom and I figured it was more of a hassle to push the issue, but it seemed so wrong!

Anyone else see something like this happen?

Also, a few hours later, we saw a ECV pulling a stroller behind it. Yes, like towing a stroller. It was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. The child in the stroller had her feet wedged under the seat of the ECV (there seemed to be some metal bar) and her mom, or grandma, was pulling her along at full speed. Down a hill. Wow

• "I Break Things"

Re: Guests under 3: verification?

The problem is there isn't a way to prove a child's age without documentation And since Disney doesn't require said documentation, individuals are able to game the system.

Years ago something similar happened to us. I'm a taller individual, my wife is shorter. As some of the older CM's on here, they've met us. Our kids are a mix of sizes. One of our daughters was abnormally tall when she was 2.5-3 years old (she looked 4+) AND she was saying full sentences by the time she was 2. I actually watched a Lead try to trip her up as she held up fingers explaining she was 3... In fact had I not been there I wonder if my wife would have made it through with her. It didn't help that her sister (19 months older) was only a few inches taller.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

That's horrible! Both stories are bad but the older kid getting in free really makes me mad! It seems like the CM's should be able to do something but what I don't know. I'm sure it's not worth the hassle and that's why scum get away with it : (

• Senior Minion

Ask any movie theater manager, and they'll tell you endless stories of the sick little cons that parents play to save a few bucks on their kid's ticket. Their lies are usually obvious -- not necessarily because of the age of the kid, but because the parents' obviously bogus manner gives them away.

The sick thing is that they do it in front of their kids -- many of whom act embarrassed to be pawns in their parents' game.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• formerly very helpful

I wasn't there, so I didn't see. And I don't know how old the child in question really was. But there are some children who are genuinely much younger than they look. It's hard on these children, since they - for instance - may only be 3 and look like 5, and people will be expecting behavior and development of a child that is older than they really are.
    Sometimes we just don't know for sure. Just saying.

• Sultan of Swing

Quote Originally Posted by jbean View Post
    That's horrible! Both stories are bad but the older kid getting in free really makes me mad! It seems like the CM's should be able to do something but what I don't know. I'm sure it's not worth the hassle and that's why scum get away with it : (
    I understand your frustration but, I don't think there is any need to call names especially a word like scum.
    There is nothing anyone can do. I look at it this way Do you really want to hear the Parents nagging at the CM? Well you "patiently" await for the situation to be resolved. Then the hold up will cause the line to become longer even if there are other Turnstiles open(this the way of thinking of some guests) then the guests will become impatient whilst waiting. Probably complain it's just a whole Domino Effect. I know it's sounds unlikely and all but I've seen this happen. If Disney were to ask for a Document that proves their age wouldn't that take longer? There would have to be a faster way to do this. How about Honesty?I crack myself up sometimes.
    Also jbean don't take this as an attack I am just trying to prevent a situation like the one last year about Pin Traders.

Quote Originally Posted by krpink View Post
    I was disgusted by the incident and that the CM allowed it to happen.
    I think it's fair to be disgusted by the actions of the parent, but don't be disgusted that the CM "allowed" it to happen. What's the alternative? Make an ugly scene out of a situation in which he/she could possibly be wrong, creating a PR nightmare for Disneyland? (Headline: "Oversized Two-Year Old Discriminated Against, Refused Entry by Disney Gate Attendant.")

Here's the thing that bugs me about this. It's not the parent or the cast member, it's someone who doesn't have all the facts making a final judgement. Do you 100% know for sure the child was over age? If not, then it's not your business. Like someone pointed out, there are larger children and I've seen it. I've known kids who look to be 5 and they are 2 years old, and I've seen it the other way, kids that are older and look younger than they are. Heck, most people think I'm 10 or more years younger than I am. Just because you look at someone and think they should be this or that, doesn't mean you are right.

• Sultan of Swing

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    Here's the thing that bugs me about this. It's not the parent or the cast member, it's someone who doesn't have all the facts making a final judgement. Do you 100% know for sure the child was over age? If not, then it's not your business. Like someone pointed out, there are larger children and I've seen it. I've known kids who look to be 5 and they are 2 years old, and I've seen it the other way, kids that are older and look younger than they are. Heck, most people think I'm 10 or more years younger than I am. Just because you look at someone and think they should be this or that, doesn't mean you are right.
    Oddball this is so true.
    I too am mistaken as older and when I was a Infant/Child I was large(Height Wise) for my age and I still am today. I knew a lot more than the average Infant/Child knew.

I think we should stop "Jumping the Gun" and accusing people of things that isn't are business if it was true well more power to them. It's as simple as this we need to ignore these things that really have no impact on our park experience other than Park Capacity and Wait Times. It is sad how this can happen but, what has Disney done to prevent this? If they haven't done anything their must be something that they benefit from it. Such as that child's parents probably spending the amount the child's ticket would be in the park on Food, Souvenirs, Photos, etc...

• -

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    But there are some children who are genuinely much younger than they look.
    This. It is the whole not judging a book by its cover thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BugSam101 View Post
    I understand your frustration but, I don't think there is any need to call names especially a word like scum.
    What other word would you use to describe someone who teaches their children it's ok to lie if you are going to save a buck? They are basically raising their kids on the notion that stealing is ok. While there are kids who are legitimately under three but look older, there are some parents out there who will try o pass their kids off as younger just to steal the price of admission from Disney.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Sultan of Swing

Calsig you can't base that off of someone being a scum. You don't know the person to simply call them worthless or even low. That's like me saying you are a "jerk" I don't know you so what gives me the right to say that? As you said "It is the whole not judging a book by its cover thing." I feel that the word scum might have been thrown around loosely but, I don't think it's necessary for us to call them vile or low.

Also to answer your question about another word to use I wouldn't use any word to judge someone that I don't especially their parenting skills. If that is the way they want to raise their children then who is going to stop them certainty not me that's for sure. "
    Never judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes"

• Observer

I have an idea. whats the reason behind the under 3 gets in free rule ? because most children that age cant go on the rides because of height right ? why charge someone who really wouldn't be able to do anything anyways.. how about they charge by height ? anyone under what ? 36 inches gets in free.. or even smaller... its an even rule easy to enforce.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by BugSam101 View Post
    Calsig you can't base that off of someone being a scum. You don't know the person to simply call them worthless or even low. That's like me saying you are a "jerk" I don't know you so what gives me the right to say that? As you said "It is the whole not judging a book by its cover thing." I feel that the word scum might have been thrown around loosely but, I don't think it's necessary for us to call them vile or low.

Also to answer your question about another word to use I wouldn't use any word to judge someone that I don't especially their parenting skills. If that is the way they want to raise their children then who is going to stop them certainty not me that's for sure. "
    Never judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes"
    The not judging a book by its cover comment had to do with making an assumption that the large child one witnesses going into the park is three or older. It's when I have confirmation that someone is sneaking their kid in for free that I lose all respect for them. I think people who steal from others are low enough. When they teach their kids that stealing is ok, that's even worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by PozEmerald View Post
    I have an idea. whats the reason behind the under 3 gets in free rule ? because most children that age cant go on the rides because of height right ? why charge someone who really wouldn't be able to do anything anyways.. how about they charge by height ? anyone under what ? 36 inches gets in free.. or even smaller... its an even rule easy to enforce.
    I believe Universal does that.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Sultan of Swing

Calsig I know that....But how do you get confirmation if they sneaked their kid in or not? This is your opinion I respect them I just have a different kind of view I guess.

Yes Universal does do that though I have yet to see them have long lines so I don't think this is an issue. As with Disney I see it being a hassle.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Little ones don't own I.D.s to tell someone what age they are. The only thing that would identify a small child's age in documentation form would be a birth certificate, which I think we would all agree would be ridiculous to carry around. I'm not a parent, but I wouldn't be comfortable carrying that around at Disneyland. I mean, if it was the size of a regular I.D. that I could stick in my wallet, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

The height thing could be beneficial, but on the flip side some kids might be tall enough but not mentally ready to ride certain rides that they meet height requirements for.

At the end of the day, I don't feel that a slightly older child that is being passed for under 3 really affects me or most guests. I also don't think that a $10 difference in ticket prices for kids versus adults is all that much of a difference at this point. It was when general admission was $42 (yes, I remember when it was that much).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast