The Pirates Sinking Rumour, I was (sort of) there, this is what I know

I was on Pirates on Monday January 7th and there was a prolonged breakdown. I don't know about any sinking, but this is what I do know.

The boat I was in ground to a halt by the Davy Jones/Blackbeard projection. Looking back at my phone, I sent a text to my wife (yeah, you can get a signal on the ride, I was surprised) saying "I'm stuck on Pirates of the Caribbean" at 1:54pm. At 1:58pmI sent a text saying that they'd turned the sound off. At some point they turned the mist off and the lights on. The projector kept projecting, I could see Ian McShane's eyes being beamed onto the empty seat next me. The next text I sent said I was walked off the ride (I was right next to a walkway) at 2:19pm.

I took a little bit of video of the tunnel while it was lit-up.

Stuck On Pirates January 7th 2013 - YouTube

You can see a cast member standing by the green door where I was walked out. It lead to a flight of steps, into a corridor full of baking bread, another flight of steps and I came out of some swing doors next to the restrooms near the Railway Station.

So, I don't know about any sinking, but there was a long delay on the ride last Monday.

• "I Break Things"

Re: The Pirates Sinking Rumour, I was (sort of) there, this is what I know

Any downtime that requires an evac on Pirates is minimum 20-30 minutes. It is a very high capacity ride and in some sections CM's need to put on waders and push the boat to an evac ledge.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

My boat had stopped right next to a ledge, so the boat wasn't pushed and I didn't get to see any wading.

Waders aren't used anymore. There are brakes at each evac platform, and in the event of a breakdown that requires a full evac each boat is pushed by hand from the platform forward until all the boats have reached a platform. The brakes automatically engage once a breakdown scenario is detected by the computer, and then manually opened to push each boat forward by the CM's at each platform. It's a system that works very well. I wasn't working that night for this latest downtime, but I heard about it and nothing sank and it was a routine downtime at Pirates. The ride reopened later the same night, as per usual. This has been happening once or twice per month for decades before the Internet allowed people to talk about it after the fact. Carry on, not much to see here.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    This has been happening once or twice per month for decades before the Internet allowed people to talk about it after the fact. Carry on, not much to see here.
    Are these evacuation drills?

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Any downtime that requires an evac on Pirates is minimum 20-30 minutes. It is a very high capacity ride and in some sections CM's need to put on waders and push the boat to an evac ledge.
    That was my experience in 1999. We got stuck at the beginning of the fire scene and had to be pushed back to the bridge that separates this area from the chase scene. Then it was upstairs, around the building, downstairs through the New Orleans basement, then upstairs one more time where the restrooms are located near the train station.