Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Banned User

Re: Hamburgers at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    They offer filet mignon steaks on the dinner menu. Presumably this is the less expensive lunch option.
    A lot of chefs would say it is borderline lunacy to grind up filet mignon and serve it as a hamburger. Filet Mignon is a very lean and flavorful cut of meat, traditionally served by essentially grilling with butter in a skillet and often served with a nice demi-glace. It would be a waste to use such an expensive cut of meat in a hamburger as the fat content would be quite low, (and hence would probably taste not as good as hamburger meat with a bit more fat), and the taste would be obscured by the cheese and whatever else is in the hamburger. (Though this is the point of adding a flavor bomb to the burger in the form of bacon and jack cheese and chili, without these ingredients, the filet mignon burger would taste pretty dull).

Personally, I think that the Ragin' Cajun Bacon Burger with ground filet mignon added to pepper jack cheese, chili and bacon is a crime against humanity and an obvious waste of a choice cut of meat. Patrons see filet mignon, and think they are getting a wonderful burger, when in fact a "lesser" meat would taste just as good and in fact better, in this recipe.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 01-12-2013 at 01:13 PM.

• Banned User

Most diners offer burgers. Flo's is literally one of the very first diners I've ever seen to NOT offer burgers, or other traditional American comfort foods like chicken fried steak. Flo's might offer wine & beer (even though most real diners don't, since their customers are usually driving), but it doesn't even have CHILI. What kind of self-respecting diner doesn't offer chili?

Flo's menu should look a lot more like this REAL Route 66 diner's -

66 Diner :: Home

I submit that, while the exterior of Flo's is very nice (especially at night), the menu is a bit of a mockery. Nothing wrong with offering healthy options, of course, but you can't call your eatery a diner and not offer certain food items.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    A lot of chefs would say it is borderline lunacy to grind up filet mignon and serve it as a hamburger. Filet Mignon is a very lean and flavorful cut of meat, traditionally served by essentially grilling with butter in a skillet and often served with a nice demi-glace. It would be a waste to use such an expensive cut of meat in a hamburger as the fat content would be quite low, (and hence would probably taste not as good as hamburger meat with a bit more fat), and the taste would be obscured by the cheese and whatever else is in the hamburger. (Though this is the point of adding a flavor bomb to the burger in the form of bacon and jack cheese and chili, without these ingredients, the filet mignon burger would taste pretty dull).

Personally, I think that the Ragin' Cajun Bacon Burger with ground filet mignon added to pepper jack cheese, chili and bacon is a crime against humanity and an obvious waste of a choice cut of meat. Patrons see filet mignon, and think they are getting a wonderful burger, when in fact a "lesser" meat would taste just as good and in fact better, in this recipe.
    I agree. I think it's overkill to try to justify a higher price. Fortunately, Brennan's does offer non-filet mignon beef burgers at their Jazz Kitchen Express. I wonder if a taste test would prove those better.

​Oh, I'd forgotten about ESPN Zone. They have really really good burgers.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Still lost in Neverland

Wow, Retrocool that is an impressive list. I am going to print that out and take it with me the next time so I will have a list handy. My memory is not that good anymore. Really, that is an incredible list and I do thank you for doing this.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Banned User

Most diners offer burgers. Flo's is literally one of the very first diners I've ever seen to NOT offer burgers, or other traditional American comfort foods like chicken fried steak. Flo's might offer wine & beer (even though most real diners don't, since their customers are usually driving), but it doesn't even have CHILI. What kind of self-respecting diner doesn't offer chili?

Flo's menu should look a lot more like this REAL Route 66 diner's -

66 Diner :: Home

I submit that, while the exterior of Flo's is very nice (especially at night), the menu is a bit of a mockery. Nothing wrong with offering healthy options, of course, but you can't call your eatery a diner and not offer certain food items.
    Flo's isn't a real diner. A real diner would have three dozen things on the menu, Flo's works like most restaurants in DLR: they offer a fixed menu. Though actually, when it comes to Flo's you get more choice there than at a lot of other places as there are a moderate number of sides to chose from.

Obviously, Flo's doesn't offer chili because this is sold at one of the cones across the "street".

I really like the healthier options at Flo's, love the turkey and hope they keep it forever.

• Banned User

I agree. I think it's overkill to try to justify a higher price. Fortunately, Brennan's does offer non-filet mignon beef burgers at their Jazz Kitchen Express. I wonder if a taste test would prove those better.
    I agree that they do it to justify the higher price, and make the joint sound more classy, which allows for higher pricing of cheaper menu items. Filet mignon chateaubriand-style tastes better than any hamburger I've ever had, though it requires a moderate degree of skill and confidence in preparation, anybody can work with ground beef or ground filet mignon and come up with a decent dish.

I have no doubt that you don't taste the filet mignon difference, if anything, the big sloppy-gooey burgers that most folks love have higher fat content in the meat.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Disneyland needs to sell these:
    Jucy Lucy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Sultan of Swing

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Disneyland needs to sell these:
    Jucy Lucy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    That is mouth watering well looks like I am going to Minnesota haha.

If it there burgers taste like Cardboard then I will compare their food to Little Caesars Pizza which also taste like cardboard.

Anyways I did try this "Bacon Burger" at TT and it was okay but I wouldn't call that bacon.
    Always read the fine print.

• I am number 4 of 999

I don't... it's just... I mean...you can get burgers and fries anywhere else on the planet. I don't understand why people pay what it costs to go to Disneyland and then look for a burger and fries. Or Starbucks, but that is another discussion entirely.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Selfie Expert

I must have really low standards when it comes to food. I had the pastrami burger at Village Haus and the bacon burger at Tomorrowland Terrace, both within the past few months, and thought both tasted great!

Then again, I had the monte cristo at Blue Bayou and thought it was the worst thing I've eaten in the park. Pure grease. I was also not impressed with the Chili Cone Queso from the Cozy Cone.

Oh well. I guess everyone should go with the opposite of what I think about food?

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Ravenclaw

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post

More than likely it's filet trimmings and the odd-sized end cuts you get from butchering whole tenderloins. At my restaurant we used to make burgers with 60/40 mix of whole chuck and short rib. Lots more fat, lots more flavor, less food cost percent.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• Circle of Ancients

If you want a "good" burger, you aren't going to find one inside Disneyland or DCA. It simply does not exist (sadly).

If you want a decent one you can get one at ESPN Zone or walk across the street to Mimi's Cafe. If you want a GOOD one you can drive down Harbor to Red Robin.

As for Flo's, I've eaten there twice and have simply not been impressed, especially given the prices they charge.

I had to chuckle at this thread. I find it hard to find a counter service restaurant in the parks that DOESN'T serve burgers.

My favorite is probably the pastrami burger at Village Hause.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    If you want a "good" burger, you aren't going to find one inside Disneyland or DCA. It simply does not exist (sadly).

If you want a decent one you can get one at ESPN Zone or walk across the street to Mimi's Cafe. If you want a GOOD one you can drive down Harbor to Red Robin.

As for Flo's, I've eaten there twice and have simply not been impressed, especially given the prices they charge.
    Agreed. Best Burgers on site are at ESPN zone or House of Blues. As for the parks, we don't often get burgers as there are much better options available. That being said, the burger at the Carnation Cafe was very good and I haven't had a bad burger in the parks...are they a great value for the price? That's a whole different story.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123