Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: small world delayed due to dignitary

The only thing I can think for them allowing the guns is it must have been a personal request from the Sultan. I'm probably going to word this entirely wrong, but Disney might want to stay on a good note with everyone (especially dignitaries) and not doing so could have potentially ruined ties.

Regardless I think I'd be pretty shocked to see a bunch of armed guards in serious business mode at the Resort!

• Team Hail HYDRA

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    It's not like people can pick out the Sultan of Brunie in the crowd.
    well.....i can

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• DLR Enthusiast

What an awkward experience that would have been. Especially on Small World...
    -Brian - Find me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    The Sultan of Brunei. He caused quite a scene at every attraction he went to, in both parks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Why would they allow anyone with guns into DL?
    Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I get that the guards are supposedly for protection. But this drew more attention to him than if he had gone as a normal civilian with his family. Also, who in America knows what this guy looks like outright? These measures are so ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbean View Post
    I'd still like to see a picture. I can't believe Disneyland would allow guns either. I need to contact my DL security friend for more info...
    I agree with everyone else! It's not like people can pick out the Sultan of Brunie in the crowd.
    Yep, I'm sure that no one would be interested in knocking off a ruler that's been in power since 1967.

There's probably more guns in Disneyland than you realize. There's a lot of California concealed weapon permits out there...

• Cars Land Rocks!

The secret service at least hides their guns under their long coats.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Why would they allow anyone with guns into DL?
    Um, wild guess - because if they don't, they'll get shot?

• Banned User

I agree with everyone else! It's not like people can pick out the Sultan of Brunie in the crowd.
    He's really not that hard to spot.

This is a photo of him is more casual attire -

The Sultan (you would address him as "Your Majesty") is worth a reported $20 billion. Has his own personal Boeing 767 Jumbo Jet. Has a car collection reportedly worth around $300 million (classic cars, Ferraris & other supercars, mostly).

The net worth of Queen Elizabeth II of the UK, as a comparison? A mere $450 million.

Yeah, so, you know, guns are necessary to protect this guy, even at Disneyland. Never know who might want to take him out, or where.

When heads of state visit Disneyland, trust that they have armed security around them for protection. Don't be alarmed. It just goes with the job.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post

He looks a little like Tony Stark in this picture. Maybe he was in town for an early Iron Man III promotion.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

i've never even heard of Brunie lol...oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    He's really not that hard to spot.

This is a photo of him is more casual attire -

The Sultan (you would address him as "Your Majesty") is worth a reported $20 billion. Has his own personal Boeing 767 Jumbo Jet. Has a car collection reportedly worth around $300 million (classic cars, Ferraris & other supercars, mostly).

The net worth of Queen Elizabeth II of the UK, as a comparison? A mere $450 million.

Yeah, so, you know, guns are necessary to protect this guy, even at Disneyland. Never know who might want to take him out, or where.

When heads of state visit Disneyland, trust that they have armed security around them for protection. Don't be alarmed. It just goes with the job.

Its true! I'm still surprised there aren't photos of this guy with his armed men but according to my security friend, the sultan visits a couple times a year. He brings his extremely large family with him and he is allowed his armed security team. Supposedly he has requested to have the park to himself but Dland has denied his request.

• Original Mice-Chatter

If the POTUS went to DL the secret service would be there with guns too. Comes with the job.
    Last edited by Nephythys; 01-28-2013 at 01:58 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jayshap View Post
    i've never even heard of Brunie lol...oops.
    Brunei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brunei, officially the Nation of Brunei, the Abode of Peace, is a sovereign state located on the north coast of the island of Borneo, in Southeast Asia.

Glad to find this thread. A friend and I were at the parks that day because we were doing the AP Golden Horseshoe show that night. We decided to catch Aladdin because neither of us had seen in for awhile. We noticed that a sizable section of seating not far from where we were sitting was roped off and then some people were brought in and were seated there. There were several Disney suits and some kind of stern looking guys in suits with them. (I did not see any guns) We passed right in front of them when we were exiting after the show was over, as they were still there. We thought they must be "somebody" because of all the fuss but never found out who they were. Now we know!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Now we know!
    And knowing is half the battle! GI Joe!
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Sock Puppet

In public, our secret service displays full security garb, when tending to other dignitaries and important officials. I doubt they did so inside DL. I'd be willing to bet the security was well armed but not visibly armed. Im sure the Sultan paid a high price for his group to enjoy DL.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast