Lightbulb Electric Vehicle Charging Stations at Disneyland Resort

There is a closed thread about this subject, but I am curious if anyone knows of any updates on Disney's plans (or lack thereof) to install a few EV charging stations somewhere in the guest-facing areas of the resort?

My family just purchased our first Prius Plug-In. Today, we went to Disneyland and read on an EV charging board that there are outlets available at the Mickey & Friends structure and that cast members would let you park near them if you explained why and they were available. Indeed, this is EXACTLY what happened. We said to the CM, "This is a plug-in car, and we'd love to charge while we're in the park. Could we park near a wall outlet on the north side of the structure?" She looked a LITTLE confused but said, "Sure" and let us through.

Now ... I've read elsewhere that using power without permission is tantamount to stealing. That may be true ....and I guess it's something to think about when you use a "hidden" outlet to charge your iphone! Honestly, the actual charge for a three-hour "re-fueling" (electrically) on a Prius Plug-In is about 70 cents. However, knowing what I know now, I won't do this again.

BUT it would be very, very, very nice if Disney, a company that touts itself as both technologically advanced AND "green-oriented" would contract with a company like ChargePoint to install a few parking spots.

For those who think this is like asking Disney to install some gas pumps, it's completely different, and as someone else pointed out if you need gas at Disneyland, you have a multitude of options near the resort. A plug-in hybrid vehicle takes there hours to reach a full charge and costs very, very little -- and, of course, once charged and when driven in electric-only mode does not emit any pollutants.

I'm not asking to be "rewarded" for my car-purchase decision, but I also know that the Prius Plug-In, Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf and the new Ford C-Max Energi combined will sell about 6,000-8,000 units in February alone, which means this "fad" is going to have some staying power. Additionally, Disney would not bear the cost of installing the ChargePoint stations -- no doubt a ChargePoint station owner would be HAPPY for this kind of business, and could charge a premium per kWH for charging while at Disneyland. (At a pay-per-use ChargePoint station, I recently paid 63 cents to fully charge my car, but I'd be happy to pay $2 or $3 to do so at Disneyland.)

So, anyway, I was curious if anyone had any insight into whether Disney has plans to install these stations at DL (or WDW for that matter) as they have done at Aulani?

(P.S. For those following my posts, I am not going back on my need to take a Disney break. Today was one of the couple of days I already had planned to take out-of-town guests to the park.)

Re: Electric Vehicle Charging Stations at Disneyland Resort

I do hope that charging stations become a regular thing at not only Disneyland Resort, but all car parking lots. As electric cars become more affordable and efficient, there will have to be some sort of supply and demand at the parks to match the needs of consumers. Can't have a handful of electric cars stuck in the parking lot because they ran out of juice now can we? Maybe in the future you'd have to pay for charging, like how one would do for gas or those phone charging lockers in the park.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Bongo -- While ChargePoint and other companies DO operate many free stations, paying for charging is not a foreign concept to EV/hybrid owners. More importantly ... the advanced EV-hybrid cars you see today won't "run out of juice." No worries about that. Once the electric-only "fuel" is consumed, the car switches to a standard hybrid mode just like a regular Prius.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    Bongo -- While ChargePoint and other companies DO operate many free stations, paying for charging is not a foreign concept to EV/hybrid owners. More importantly ... the advanced EV-hybrid cars you see today won't "run out of juice." No worries about that. Once the electric-only "fuel" is consumed, the car switches to a standard hybrid mode just like a regular Prius.
    But as car companies that manufacture all-electric cars like Tesla does, hybrid mode is not an option.

From a business standpoint, I don't think adding charging stations will bring Disney any more business than investing that money into some attraction or something. However, it'll surely bring press and put pressure on the theme parks that currently don't have the same stations.

Put in stations that you can slide a CC, debit, or cash to pay for your charge. No problems.

I do think it would be a problem though because people will leave their car there ALL DAY at the charging station, therefore limiting how many people could actually use it.

• Minion

My understanding, and I will need to check on it, is the DLH and PPH has charging at valet. I will check the Grand next time my son comes down as he has a Volt.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    Put in stations that you can slide a CC, debit, or cash to pay for your charge. No problems.

I do think it would be a problem though because people will leave their car there ALL DAY at the charging station, therefore limiting how many people could actually use it.
    That's totally fine. The charging aspect of the station is just out of convenience and is offered as a premium. It's a parking spot first and a charging station second.

I don't think we'll see these installed until full electric cars become as widely used as hybrids are now. I'm questioning how Disney would use these spots. They can be used by regular gas cars and hybrids, but if they fill up, there will be no spots for electric cars. They can't just leave these spaces open all day and just hope an electric car comes. That would lose potential profits in parking.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

If I Recall Correctly... They went through all the expense of putting in a few MagneChargers and wiring them all up when the first generation cars like the GM EV1 were out, and they were used maybe once. It's really a Chicken & Egg situation, and there still aren't many Plug-in-Only Electric cars out there...

I'd just park next to one of the regular 20A 120V outlets and not worry about it - Who cares if it takes all day to charge? You'll be there all day. And with a gasoline engine + recharge hybrid like a Volt or Prius or it isn't a major disaster if you can't charge at an outlet - the engine runs. The only ones that really have to worry are the All Electrics like Tesla Roadsters and S sedans, and there are around 3,000 - 3,500 on the road now worldwide - and that's mostly with the "Beautiful People" like Justin Bieber.

When plug-in all electric cars do get that popular, then they'll have a problem with two or three spaces near one charger, and the second car owner having to come out to the parking lot at Noon and swap the plug when the first car is full. Unless they build special chargers specifically for parking lots with multiple charge cords and one head unit that can do it automagically.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Banned User

I'm surprised and dismayed that Disney has not already installed some charging stations. Even the building I work in here in Houston (Oil Company Central) has an electric car park & recharge spot.

At a place like Disneyland, I would think 10 spaces set aside, each with a charging station, would be apropos. If they regularly fill up, you add more. That helps encourage greater adoption of hybrid and all-electric cars.

I saw a charging station on the top floor of the M&F structure, near the bridge across the "gap" in the middle. Not sure how they should get the electric cars matched up with charging stations, but it would be useful. Had a long cord and everything, clearly marked as a charging station. Maybe they could put future stations on the ground floor, tuck a tag on your windshield to say you need a charging space, and direct the electric cars to the spaces to charge. If they preferentially park regular cars in other spaces before putting them in the charging spaces, then those spaces would be left open for the electric cars but then if they need the spaces, they could then park regular cars in them.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.