Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Upcoming Tomorrowland Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    This is just a collection of rumors mixed with BS. Look I would love for them to remove Submarine Voyage especially after what they did to it but the fact is Disney no longer strikes me as the type of company that would be bold enough to bulldoze it to make way for a better attraction. They will double down on their mistak...i mean "investment".

Autopia I wish would be removed but even that's a longshot.
    Given that Nemo 2 will be coming out at some point, I think the sub ride was a good investment, and no doubt the ride will be safe for quite a while.

I think Autopia should be reimagined, such as into electric vehicles that guests drive around on the surface of Mars, a true Tomorrowland style attraction.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by LAR121 View Post
    I'll probably get beat up here for saying this, but I love the subs and I hope they stay.
    Me too. I like Nemo, and little kids really love the ride.

• Minion

I really don't want Autopia to leave. I hope it gets to stay.

I'm not in favor of changing Tomorrowland's name.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• World of Color

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I really don't want Autopia to leave. I hope it gets to stay.

I'm not in favor of changing Tomorrowland's name.
    Im with you jasminerary I don't want Autopia to leave it could be change for the better but if they have to close it move it to Cars Land

• Inappropriate

As much as I would love to have another Star Wars ride right there, I have to be reasonable. Three roller coasters right next to each other is a bit of overkill. As someone already said, it completely cuts out the Whole-Family rides in favor of the taller thrill-seekers. You know what I would like to see? The Peoplemover skeleton gone. If it's not coming back, get rid of it so I'm not reminded of our loss.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    No thank you. To me Tomorrowland is a classic name for this area. I just wish it would stick to its original principles more closley.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by LAR121 View Post
    I'll probably get beat up here for saying this, but I love the subs and I hope they stay.
    Agreed, the attraction itself is not my absolute favorite, and an updated version of the pre-Nemo change would be great. However, I LOVE the asthetic that the big pond brings to the park, it breaks up the never ending concrete and asphalt terrain on that side of the park. The ride itself is not bad, it is fairly unique in its premise, which in my eyes at least, makes it something sort of neat.

Moreover, in my opinion I do not think the subs are going anywhere for quite some time.
    - The ride is popular, it would have a decent line even without the awful load times
    - The ride is tied to one of Disney/Pixar's most popular franchises and as someone said Nemo 2 is probably on its way
    - In relative terms the ride's revival is recent

Just to add, maybe they should just re-draw the map again and make the subs part of fantasy land, it is less of a stretch to include talking fish there perhaps, so much hate for this ride seems to stem from its inclusion in tomorrowland rather than the attraction itself.

I've said it many times, but I'm glad we still have the subs at all. Sure the Nemo thing is not the greatest, but we still have a fully functioning submarine ride, that could (if we'e lucky) be turned into an updated version of the original idea, minus the current cartoon fish of course.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by linkeq2001 View Post
    maybe they should just re-draw the map again and make the subs part of fantasy land,
    Public undersea tourism on a nuclear powered sub does not scream "Fantasyland!" to me.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• DCP DLR Alumnus!

However, I LOVE the asthetic that the big pond brings to the park, it breaks up the never ending concrete and asphalt terrain on that side of the park.
    This is one thing I love about FNSV as well! For what it's worth, I love the Nemo version of the attraction. Even if it's not the same Submarine Voyage as before (and yes, I did ride the original version), we should be thankful that it was brought back at all, and you have to give them credit for at least paying homage to the original (the script, the sea dragon and mermaid at the end, same vehicles, etc).

I definitely don't want to see FNSV or Autopia close anytime soon- actually, I hope neither of these attractions close during my lifetime (and I'm only in my 20s!). As these attractions age and become outdated, which some argue is already the case, then they should be updated in my opinion, not necessarily completely removed. Autopia, for example, should be given new electric-powered cars and new landscaping along the track. Find a way to put in some Wall-E or Tron theming, or better yet, go with something futuristic and original!

Yes, Disneyland is not a museum, and old things sometimes have to give way to the newer and better things, but it's also possible to take something old and make it new again- look at the previous versions of Autopia, or more recently, Star Tours. So hopefully TDA and WDI can keep this in mind with future developments.

Innoventions, on the other hand, I have no problem seeing closed for something new. In fact I'm hoping for it! Bring on Iron Man (or Stark Expo or whatever's eventually going in there)!
    Please check out my E-Ticket attraction, The Time of My Life!
    http://tcox91.tumblr.com

• Disneyland 19 year APH

You know what would be pretty darn messed up would to take Innoventions and retheme it to Stark Expo...the only good part of this would be them making the People Mover ride/enterance inside the building. At least they would not have the issue of moving people underground. If they did do this I would like to see new track and a ripid-train kind of idea but not doing what rocket-rods did wich was use the track but this should replace the track and make some sort of story inside when you go inside Ciricle vision building and inside space mountain. (WDI: Do embankments)

• film975

I find it very clever where they put the Submarine Voyage. It's right at the border between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. If anything, the ride provides a great backdrop for the park. And Tony Baxter himself did shoot down the rumors about the Submarine Voyage and Autopia being removed.

• Banned User

- The ride is tied to one of Disney/Pixar's most popular franchises and as someone said Nemo 2 is probably on its way
    - In relative terms the ride's revival is recent

Just to add, maybe they should just re-draw the map again and make the subs part of fantasy land, it is less of a stretch to include talking fish there perhaps, so much hate for this ride seems to stem from its inclusion in tomorrowland rather than the attraction itself.
    Nemo 2 is actually official now, it was announced last summer that Andrew Stanton would return to Pixar to make this sequel. It will come out in 2016.

I think it would be very hard to turn the Subs back into a "Tomorrowland" attraction. After all, advances in ride mechanics have come a long way, just look at Indy, while the Subs is a slow moving ride without any of the thrills one would expect from a Tomorrowland attraction. It's not enough any more just to have a spooky voice talk about descending into the fathoms.

And the old Subs ride had a lot of Fantasyland in it anyway, i.e. Mermaids, Atlantis, a goofy sea monster that looked like it escaped Small World. Instead of just a hodge-podge of unrelated characters thrown in there, I think Nemo was the right direction as it gives the ride a cohesive whole in terms of story.

People may have fond memories of the old Sub ride, but it doesn't have anything when compared to newer rides like Disney Sea's Journey to the Center of the Earth:

If they seriously took out Nemo and brought back the old Subs ride, Families with kids would be upset that they couldn't see Nemo, and young adults/teenagers would think that the old Subs are more than a little weak by current Disney standards, at least as far as announcing a big new ride. Subs survives, even though it is a slow moving ride in cramped quarters, because it has the magic of letting guests see Nemo and his pals.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 01-15-2013 at 07:57 AM.

• The doctor is in

I'm alright with the Stark Expo and I have thought ever since the Innoventions rumor surfaced that they should stick with the Stark Expo idea. However, I'm not on board with yet another Star Wars attraction. Not only do they already have Star Tours but the Star Trader store is practically all Star Wars themed as well.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I think it would be very hard to turn the Subs back into a "Tomorrowland" attraction.
    It is a “Tomorrowland” attraction. Ignoring the cartoon fish, the ride concept is still very much “Tomorrowland”.

After all, advances in ride mechanics have come a long way, just look at Indy, while the Subs is a slow moving ride without any of the thrills one would expect from a Tomorrowland attraction. It's not enough any more just to have a spooky voice talk about descending into the fathoms.
    Tomorrowland rides are not all about thrills. The Peoplemover was not a thrill ride, nor was Adventure Through Innerspace. Those were two of the greatest rides in Tomorrowland. The Peoplemover would still be a draw today as evidenced by the crowds it draws at Disney World.

People may have fond memories of the old Sub ride, but it doesn't have anything when compared to newer rides like Disney Sea's Journey to the Center of the Earth:
    That really isn’t a fair comparison. The ride systems are totally different and both rides serve different purposes. It would be like trying to compare Small World to Space Mountain.

If they seriously took out Nemo and brought back the old Subs ride, Families with kids would be upset that they couldn't see Nemo, and young adults/teenagers would think that the old Subs are more than a little weak by current Disney standards, at least as far as announcing a big new ride. Subs survives, even though it is a slow moving ride in cramped quarters, because it has the magic of letting guests see Nemo and his pals.
    Not necessarily. If they brought back an updated version of the classic subs with modern effects I think it would still be a huge draw. Especially if they included live mermaids.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast