Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Back in Black

Lightbulb Third Gate thoughts...

I'm gonna play Devil's advocate here...

Why not make the third gate Marvel?

HOLD THAT THOUGHT. I know a lot of the reasoning behind not doing it lies behind there not being enough material. So why not Epcot it and split the park with Star Wars now that theres a full license?

Beneficially for Disneyland, this could open up some space for original attractions in Tomorrowland AND help keep Disneyland Disneyland.

Thoughts? Comments? Grumblings?
    -The MiceChatter formerly known as indyjn511

---That goat has dynamite!---

• -

Re: Third Gate thoughts...

The Marvel theme for a third park has been rumored for a long time. There are so many great possibilities that it brings up as far as theming for different lands. There is great story material there that could serve as the basis for some really immersive dark rides.

Star Wars on the other hand presents similar opportunities. I could imagine the central icon for a Star Wars park to be a Death Star version of Spaceship Earth. The ride itself would be a re-telling of the storyline of the six films to bring those who haven't experienced them up to date on what is going on.

Both of these would make great parks. I don't think they should be mixed, though.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Who said Marvel is going to stay popular enough to warrant a billion+ dollar investment?

• Back in Black

Both of these would make great parks. I don't think they should be mixed, though.
    To my mind, World Showcase and Future World don't really have anything to do with one another, yet they exist in the same park. Star Wars and Marvel have more in common, at least to me.

Who said Marvel is going to stay popular enough to warrant a billion+ dollar investment?
    Who said Disney was going to stay relevant for Walt to mortgage his house twice just to make Disneyland? Marvel has been around as we know it since the 1960's, and even before that as well under the Globe Comics or Timely Publications since 1939. It has just as much staying power as Disney.
    -The MiceChatter formerly known as indyjn511

---That goat has dynamite!---

They should build a Marvel park in the Strawberry fields, purchase the convention center to build a star wars park there, and, while they're at it, get the rights to Star Trek for a 4th park. Why not? I would spend months at a time there!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I could imagine the central icon for a Star Wars park to be a Death Star version of Spaceship Earth. The ride itself would be a re-telling of the storyline of the six films to bring those who haven't experienced them up to date on what is going on.
    Spending one half of the attractions time on episodes 1-3 would be too much.

I like the 2 land epcot idea. But I would take it a bit further: Half the park hero, adventure, exploration theme, and the other half sci-fi and future theme. That way it doesn't have to be all marvel all the time.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Disneyland 20 year APH

I feel that it would not matter what the third gate would be but where ever it goes it would have to deal with Harbor Blvd. Harbor is a major vain in OC and the third gate would have to deal with moving people from the Main Enterance Plaza to the third gate in order not to make the park a satalight park like what WDW does.

I feel that this third park would cause alot of Transportation problems and parking issues. If Disney, oks the project they would need to make some sort-of people mover/monorail/rocket rod ride to get there because people will not go to it if they have to walk/ride a bus to get to it...and dont even start to talk about parking
    K-lot is filled everyday and Pumba is kind-of being used by CMs as well and where are all thoes guest going to park. We have to think about the placement logicaly before we can dissius whats going to be in it.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    I feel that it would not matter what the third gate would be but where ever it goes it would have to deal with Harbor Blvd. Harbor is a major vain in OC and the third gate would have to deal with moving people from the Main Enterance Plaza to the third gate in order not to make the park a satalight park like what WDW does.

I feel that this third park would cause alot of Transportation problems and parking issues. If Disney, oks the project they would need to make some sort-of people mover/monorail/rocket rod ride to get there because people will not go to it if they have to walk/ride a bus to get to it...and dont even start to talk about parking
    K-lot is filled everyday and Pumba is kind-of being used by CMs as well and where are all thoes guest going to park. We have to think about the placement logicaly before we can dissius whats going to be in it.
    "If you build it, he will come."
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

I actually think this whole situation makes for a stronger case for a more thrill-oriented park. You can't deny that Marvel doesn't exactly scream 'Disney', regardless of how strong a property it is. I think the only way Marvel would work as a theme park is in a lot somewhat separated from the more traditional DL and DCA. That way, we get a great park themed to a great franchise from a great company, and still have it be associated with Disney, but in a way that it's as physically separated from the traditional parks in the same way that it is intellectually.

• Observer

build a large parking structure where pumba lot is for Cm's build another big parking structure where Pinocchio / where the busses park is for guest. that would solve the parking issue and open up the field to a 3rd park. even a structure where DTD parking is wouldn't hurt

and dont even start to talk about parking
    I'm not sure what land is being used for what, but one could easily build a mickey and friends type structure at either the Toy Story parking lot. These folks would still have to be bused in though. I'm more concerned about where the actual 3rd gate is going to be. You don't need a parking lot of there is no land to built the park in to begin with.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Observer

well u can still building a parking structure where Pinocchio lot is. it would take out the need to for the Toy story lot and buses... and when they do build the 3rd park where toy story is. a people mover or monorail can be put in to get people from the resort/parking to the new park

• Sharkslayer

Hey, How about an Islands of Adventures-like 3rd gate park, with Marvel and Star Wars area; also there will be an Avatar area, Video Game area (Wreck-It Ralph, SEGA and Tron) and a Children area.
    Last edited by MickeySmurfette24; 01-29-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Let's revisit the Anaheim Resort District Master Plan which has already been approved by the City of Anaheim and Disney.....

The current Toy Story Lot/Strawberry Fields ("nothing is real") is already zoned for the eventual 3rd Gate! No other properties large enough for a 3rd gate are available or zoned by the City for development! Pumba lot is zoned for a large multi-story parking lot across the street to the North of Gardenwalk!

The zoning of land for theme parks, parking and retail is ALREADY set in the Resort District Master Plan that the City of Anaheim and Disney have agreed upon! To re-open such planning and zoning permits for armchair imagineering opens the door for additional Environmental Impact Studies and numerous lawsuits challenging any changes to the Master Plan!

Disney already flexed as much political muscle to get the current plan enacted into Anaheim City Law - to re-open something Disney already has "locked-down" is unlikely.

The 3rd Gate, whenever it arrives, will be the Toy Story Lot/Strawberry Fields - HOW they choose to imagineer it is a good and lively debate. But rearranging the landscape of the City of Anaheim a' la SIMCITY is probably NOT going to happen. Use the Toy Story lot wisely, it's likely the last major expansion of the Anaheim Resort........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast