Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oswalds "S" out

• Sock Puppet

Re: Oswalds "S" out

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    PoisonedApples has a good point. Of course someone would make it like that, at least it's a possibility. After designing an attraction to look perfect someone might look at it and say "It's nice, but not quite enough. We need to make it more authentic. Can we have the imagineers make one of the letters flash like it's going on and off, just like a vintage neon sign where the letters are going out?" I could bolster that theory by pointing out that a sign with a blinking object tends to attract more attention than ones that don't. In the event that the letter did flicker on and off, it just seems to be within Disney's theming that they might have had a speaker that makes a "Bzzzt! Bzzt-bzzt!" sound at the same pace of the letter going on and off. Just look at the Tower of Terror.

Looking at the pic above? ....no, it just looks like the ballast that controls the voltage to the "S" is out, the gas-charged letters themselves are most likely okay.

there you go! THAT'S what i was trying to explain before but it wasn't percieved that way... Yes exactly as 5thrider mentioned! kinda like the flashing on and off letter on tower of terror..THANK U 5thrider!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    But.... it's supposed to be a "Junkyard"... it's part of the theme I tell you!
    i think pinkertonfloyd has a point..

• SORCERER

took this photo the other night, some things to note:

1) The Letters have an LED back light behind them, there is no neon on the physical sign, unlike the rest of oswalds.

2) It seems to be an electrical issue as both letter "s" are out on both sides.

The S has been out for awhile, I feel likes its one of those things that imagineer easily forget to fix, or the problem is more complex than than appears.

This has been fixed, at least on the side facing the promenade.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Neon takes awhile to replace, especially custom stuff. I'm thinking Disney didn't have backup replacements made so the things now on back-order or something. It is odd to see it go out so quickly though.

With anything neon that is custom made I figure there is a variable lifetime, some will burn out after eight months, some will last for decades. A quick Google search reveals that:

"Common problems with neon signs include cracked or broken glass through which the gas can escape, pumping too much gas into the tube during production and failed electrodes or transponders."

Neon signs usually last 20-25 years, but could last as long as 50 years in some cases.

So, given that it is a custom job, invariably you're going get some tubes that fail, and most will probably be in the first year or so.

I have no idea how long neon tubes keep, but they could have ordered duplicates of everything knowing that eventually some of the stuff will fail, and just not filled them yet with gas, or perhaps fill them with gas but obviously don't use them.

Sort of like how Alice Davis made duplicate costumes for animatronics in Pirates . . .

Actually, nevermind, the letters that are out are just back-lit with LED, obviously a wiring/programming problem.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    Speaking from experience that floor epoxy is finicky. I've seen $100g spent on hangar floors and a month later the painters have to come in and replace half of it.
    Wow. Wonder why the high price. If the hangar floor is concrete, you just wash it down with acid, clean it, and buy concrete floor paint in bulk. Wonder how much the paint would cost, couldn't be more than $10,000, yes?

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Hold on your information is out of date. Half of Mater is down right now. When the half is done on the 29 the north half gones down for the same treatment.
    Here is some photos from before and now:

Name:  IMG_0659 - Copy.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  191.9 KBName:  IMG_0748 - Copy.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  154.8 KB
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    The S has been out for awhile, I feel likes its one of those things that imagineer easily forget to fix, or the problem is more complex than than appears.
    Exactly how I feel. I'm not disappointed in Disney for having it off. I'm sure it has been put off for the reasons you've stated.

I'm sure when Disney is able to fix it, they can. Things have to wear/break first before they can be fixed up, and by the looks of it they have already started working of MJJ.

I hopefully they will fix it soon. It does look a bit awkward.

thanks for the update brianpinsky.

As I mentioned yesterday, Oswald's "S" is now fixed. Tonight I saw that both sides are working fine.

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Wow. Wonder why the high price. If the hangar floor is concrete, you just wash it down with acid, clean it, and buy concrete floor paint in bulk. Wonder how much the paint would cost, couldn't be more than $10,000, yes?
    Square footage and labor involved? When it comes to aircraft nothing is cheap, even where they sleep...
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123