Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Re: What are your Disneyland credentials?

First visit: July 1955 - just barely made the height requirement for Autopia, THE hot ride for all SoCal kids! Have visited the Park multiple times every year since.

Spent my wedding night in the Disneyland Hotel.

Have read every book - authorized or not - that I could find about Walt, Mickey and the Parks.

I live 20 miles from DL, so we go for lunch, dinner or brunch several times a month. It is our go-to place for the answer to "What do you want to do today? I don't know -what do you want to do?"

Like many native SoCal folks, I know many folks who have circulated through as CMs, including a cousin who started in the parking lot and ended up a VP.

Unrealized dream: to be in the parade!

First time was probably around 1973. I remember my grandmother taking me to Disneyland quite often from the early 70s up until 1983 when my parents sadly moved us to Oregon. I can still remember us huddled around grandma's 510 Datsun parked out next to one the the big overhead power transmission towers, eating sandwiches my grandmother had made instead of eating inside the park. Worse sandwiches ever by the way, but still great memories.

I have a cousin "Teresa" that eventually ended up working at the Disneyland Hotel which was kinda cool.

When I graduated highschool my parents offered to send me on a vacation to celebrate. Of course I chose to go to Disneyland. Still probably my favorite place I've ever been.

Anyways, since then I've tried to take my own family there as much as possible over the years, but due to the expense it's not somehting we can do often. Once every 3 years or so if we're lucky. We're tentatively planning on a trip in May this year so I'm pretty excited.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

First time in Disneyland:
    1966 at the age of 5

How far away do you live:
    6 hrs away in Elk Grove, 10 mins south of Sacramento.

Disneyland Books:
    I have them all, from The Nickel Tour to all the Mountain books.

Disneyland Music:
    I have the Musical History of Disneyland 50th Anniversary collection as well as a few collections made when the park had the CD on Demand kiosks.

Visiting the Parks:
    Try to visit 3-4 times a year, I have converted my wife to a Disneyland nut. Back when I lived in Redondo Beach from 1988-1999 I used to go to the Park after work, stay until closing (back then the Park closed at 1:00 am) then do it all over again the next day. Not every day mind you but there were times when it was consecutive days!

Favorite Attraction:
    Haunted Mansion

Least Favorite Attraction:
    Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Piece of History:
    Have collected too many pieces and artifacts from the parks to count.
    Most proud of my Olszewski Main Street platform and assorted other sculptures.

Recent Disney Memory:
    December, 2012. Taking my wife's sister to the Parks for the second time in her life. The first for her was over 40 years ago.

Other Fun Facts Over The Years:
    Getting to ride the Flying Saucers in Tomorrowland.
    Experiencing Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion in their first year of operation.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

As I read all of these wonderful post two days before my Disneyland trip, I am truly inspired by all of you. I know Disneyland won't disappoint, and the new DCA is sure to delight me.

• Grim Grinning

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    6 hrs away in Elk Grove, 10 mins south of Sacramento.
    Hey fellow NorCal person! Glad I'm not the only one that makes that long trip.

First visit 1962.
    Most Recent November 2012.
    My home to main gate 932 miles.
    Fastest travel time by car 13 hr 50 min.
    Fastest travel time by air Gate C1 PDX to standing on Main St 2 hr 47 min.
    Can always find something new on every visit.
    Know where most (all?) rest rooms are.
    Know how to crowd past those pesky kids in Gadget Coaster queue.
    Can spell queue.
    Not obsessed, but daughter would Skype the fireworks show to me from her apartment.
    Had to go through the turnstile and out the exit after midnight 1/1/12 just to say I'd been there.
    Have only posted one Disneyland photo on Panoramio.
    Plane engine caught fire en route to WDW in year 2000 but twelve fire trucks and quick phone calls later we still hit the parks at 7 am the next morning.
    Have visited Walt's Barn at Griffith Park.
    Was asked to 'leave the train, now' at Griffith Park. (Forcefully ordered)
    Spring 2011 got to talk to Bob Gurr about Disney stuff on Main St especially my split lip from Autopia crash in 1962. No bumping my a..

It goes on and on, but it is safe to say I know enough about Disney to be dangerous. Which means I may or may not know what I'm talking about.

• The doctor is in

Disneyland Books:
    I recently bought the Disney Imagineering Field Guide and the Disneyland Encyclopedia. The Imagineering book is really cool.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Inappropriate

There's a good chance I was conceived on a Disneyland trip. I wish I was joking. I'm not.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    There's a good chance I was conceived on a Disneyland trip. I wish I was joking. I'm not.
    Well that one took the cake.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Not on the Jedi Council

January, 1978 was still 10 at the time. I remember going on the train and the Sky Lift.

35 minutes away in Glendale

Disneyland Books:
    A few... In Service to the Mouse by Jack Lindquist, Design: Just for Fun by Bob Gurr, and the first five of the Hidden Mickey series. Pre-ordered the Rolly Crump book and will pick it up at the MiceChat breakfast next weekend.

Disneyland Music:
    A few records a friend gave me, and I want to pick up the Tales from the Haunted Mansion CD sometime since I had the LP as a kid. I also remember driving my brother nuts with the It's a Small World LP.

Visiting the Parks:
    Got a pass two years ago because I had been on vacation the whole week and hadn't done anything. The Premium AP was about half the current price (60% maybe) so the monthly price seemed good. Been going every few weeks to a month since.

Favorite Attraction:
    Star Tours or Pirates (DL)
    Tower of Terror or Soarin (DCA)

Innoventions, though Space Mountain needs serious restoration before I will care for it again

Piece of History:
    Saw the opening of Ariel and Star Tours II, and the relaunch of DCA.
    Been a spotter at the last two Gumball Rallys.

Recent Disney Memory:
    December, 2012. Was there on New Year's Eve and was there from open to 7PM. Had a wonderful time.

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

1989 - I was 2

Glendale, AZ - 5 1/2 to 6 hours depending on traffic

Disneyland Books:
    I have a few but I can't name them off the top of my head (been in storage for some time)

Disneyland Music:
    On my iPod I have the whole Fantasmic show, Remember...Dreams Come True, Believe In Holiday Magic, MSEP, Parade of Dreams, and The Tiki Room.

Visiting the Parks:
    Growing up I went once a year, it was always where we chose to go for Summer vacation. In my "tween" and teen years I had an AP and went multiple times a year. Now as an "adult" I go when I can. I try to go at least once a year

Favorite Attraction:
    Haunted Mansion

Silly Symphony Swings

Piece of History:
    One of our trips in the 90's happened to be when they were filming the Disneyland Sing Along Video. About 10 years later my best friend realized my Grandma was in "The Great Outdoors" portion of the video.

Recent Disney Memory:
    My son doesn't remember much of his first trip when he was 2 1/2 but now that he's 5 we went again this last September. Our first evening in the park had been hectic and it was so hot that after only 2 hours my son was ready to go back to the hotel room. He wanted to see Fantasmic and knowing we only had that night to see it he stayed. We were lucky to get a good spot on the water right before it started. As we watched he cuddled up next to me and I noticed he was crying. My initial thought was he was just so tired maybe we should have gone back. When I asked him what was wrong he replied "Its just so beautiful!" I teared up instantly as well. Passing my love of Disneyland on to him is something I had always hoped to do!

Other Fun Facts Over The Years:
    I experienced One More Disney Day and spent 24 hours straight in the park. It was one of the best times I ever had. I hadn't been to the park in 2 years and during that time I was battling an undiagnosed illness that had taken over every aspect of my life. I finally received a diagnosis a few weeks before they officially announced the event and I decided it was a great way to celebrate. My best friend who is also a member of MC, who is also battling an invisible illness joined me and together we were able to take it easy and just enjoy a full 24 hours in the park. A chance we had never had before, and although it was crazy, it was so fun!
    For my 21st Bday I was offered a trip to Vegas, a bar hopping party, or a trip to Disneyland. I chose to go to Disneyland since I had never been on my Bday! Nothing to me compares to a trip Disneyland.

Disneyland is a part of me and it always will be

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

A 5 year old boy, who replies how beautiful Fantasmic is.

My tearful moment of the day.

Thanks MiceChatters for continuing to post here in this thread.

I first went to Disneyland in 2004 with my family. It was a quick trip since it was our first time in California and we wanted to see all of the other sights. But at 13, the place was seared into my mind.

I had been on my first Disney trip in 2001 to Walt Disney World but even that trip didn't have the effect that Disneyland had on me. My family even fell in love with it.

We live in New Jersey so it wasn't till 2006 when went back again. Then we began to go every year except 2012. We are even going back in July of this year.

I saw in a recent article on MiceChat that Jeff Heimbuch quoted Rolly Crump in saying "Disneyland hugs you. Walt Disney World just made way for all the strollers." I honestly agree with that and it perfectly sums up a feeling that I never really could put into words before.

Over the years, I have started up a collection of vintage Disneyland items. From original park maps, postcards, matchbooks and even restaurant place mats. I always loved the scenery of Disneyland but as I get older, I've come to appreciate the work that is put into making these wonderful worlds. I'm on the boat that there are things that only Disney can do the best and creating believable worlds is one of those things.

If you went on my iTunes, you would find some really obscure Disney park music. I've dug myself into as may Disneyland books that I could get my hands on. My career path was even determined greatly by Disneyland in recent years.

Disneyland was the place that Walt personally walked it's streets, touched it's railings and put his full heart and soul into before he passed away. Walt Disney World may be the continuation of his dreams but Disneyland has that feeling like he is there, watching over all of the people passing by. Comforting them and leading them into their imaginations for many years to come.

• Just drawn that way

1981 for my 1st birthday, where I started really walking for my first time!

Next to K-lot (cast parking)

Disneyland Books:
    I have tons, but my favorites I always have on me, and at least scan through once a week are The Imagineering Way and The Imagineering workout.

Disneyland Music:
    Haunted Mansion, Haunted Mansion Holiday opening year, Remember...Dreams Come True and queue music from Tower of Terror, along with many more I listen to daily.

Visiting the Parks:
    1 time a year from the first visit, when the AP's first came out my mom and I got them, only time I didn't was the years I worked for the company. Since I started working for them I went almost every day after my shift. Since I no longer work there but friends do I go maybe once a week to every 2 weeks.

Favorite Attraction:
    The Haunted Mansion
    Snow Whites Scary Adventures

Autopia, due to a concussion.

Piece of History:
    WOW too many, Been to All pirates premieres and in the BBC news with Depp, One of the last Hat writers with those very awesome old machines. "Stunt" team for the 49th birthday to introduce the collages for the 50th....to name a few....

Recent Disney Memory:
    Leap Day all day from 6 am till 6 am with my bestie, also getting to ride the Lilly Belle with Only myself and a friend who got to know Walt growing up.

Other Fun Facts Over The Years
    There is so much more, but I think I'll save that for a book. Lucky enough to work at WDW Tower and all over Disneyland Resort. Totally a Disney girl, I could say Mickey Mouse, Walt Disney and Donald Duck before I could say my brothers names. Anything else please inquire!
    Last edited by PetiteMortKvsh; 01-26-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    Little and broken, but still good.

• Banned User

My first time in Disneyland in the mid-1960's, when I was wee little lad. I have been going all my life, though less often since I've moved up north to Sacramento. Yeah I remember the old ticket book system, Captain Hook's Pirate Ship and Adventures Thru Inner Space-- were I "made out" with a girl in 6th grade. Had my heart broken in the Big Thunder Mountain queue. Made up for it when I got to ride the doom buggy with a cute unknown blonde who was scared to death. Once while riding Indiana Jones my flu came on strong, and the ride breaks down and we were stuck in a hot room with a bunch of pre-teen cheerleaders doing their insipid cheers- I wanted to die. My favorite character was Tigger. I wish I still had that stuffed animal from my childhood.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast