Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

• "I don't like the color"

Re: What are your Disneyland credentials?

Quote Originally Posted by amanda.collishaw View Post
    Hey fellow NorCal person! Glad I'm not the only one that makes that long trip.
    Howdy! We usually fly because it wastes too much time on the road, more time for Disneyland!
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Disneyland definitely hugged me today, and DCA made smile, and laugh.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

I don't post on the boards much, but I would love to share this info.

First time in Disneyland:
    More than likely, as a baby/toddler in the late 1980s.

How far away do you live:
    For most of my life, I lived about an hour away in Rancho Cucamonga, CA, and later in Temecula, CA. Then I moved to Omaha, NE for a career opportunity (and also cheaper cost of living). I've been back to CA once since I moved, to see family and visit Disneyland.

Disneyland Books:
    I've read both of the Mouse Tales books at least once each, and I've read Walt Disney: An American Original twice.

Disneyland Music:
    I bought a Disneyland Forever CD from a kiosk once. I like to listen to Disneyland music stations on Live365.com.

Visiting the Parks:
    Almost all my visits have been with immediate family, though I have been a couple of times with friends. Haven't gone by myself yet, but I might at some point in the future.

Piece of History:
    I participated in the "Climbing the Mountains of Disneyland" event in the summer of 1999, which was an anniversary year for several of them. I also had several photos in the 50th Anniversary photomosaics.

Favorite Disney Memory:
    I went to Grad Nite in 2004. I got to watch the sky lightening in the east from the slopes of the Matterhorn. Hands down, my favorite of many, many special memories.

Honorable mention goes to the following memories: I celebrated my 13th, 16th, and 23rd birthdays at Disney parks (Disneyland, DCA, and Epcot, respectively). On my 16th birthday, I went on California Screamin', which was my first time on a looping roller coaster, ever. I was at the radio station premiere party for Toy Story Mania. My 23rd birthday was during the year of free admissions on your birthday, so I was wearing a birthday button, and tons of people said "Happy birthday!" to me. When I was 14, I went to WDW with a school group, which was a blast.

Recent Disney Memory:
    My most recent trip was at the beginning of this month. It was a combined late Christmas/early wedding-anniversary celebration. My parents, sister, and I stayed at the Grand Californian, and I finally got to see Cars Land and World of Color. My favorite parts were WOC, the holiday fireworks, dinner at Carthay Circle, and hanging out in the Starcade playing with the Fix-It Felix, Jr. cabinets just before park close. The whole trip was absolutely magical.

Other Fun Facts Over The Years:
    Our whole family had APs for several years when I was growing up. I was quite the Hidden Mickey hunter at one point. I was in marching band, so I've marched the Disneyland parade route several times (also one of my favorite memories).
    Last edited by Emiko; 01-29-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spacing

Spring break 1990 when I was 15. I went with my dad & brother and my best friend.

about a 2.5 hour flight - a suburb of Seattle.

Disneyland Books:
    I don't currently have any, but want to buy one on Hidden Mickeys so I can look for more during our next trip.

Disneyland Music:
    Don't have any CD's but the song from Splash Mountain ("How Do You Do") never fails to remind me of DLR and bring a smile to my face.

Visiting the Parks:
    First time with family, next two with boyfriends. This upcoming fourth trip will be with my bf that I went with last year - he is as addicted as I am. (yay!)

Piece of History:
    We were there on Feb. 29th, 2012, the busiest day EVER. I didn't know about the 24 hours of Disney until we got there and the crowds that night were terrible. We ended up leaving at about midnight because it was at capacity, Fastpasses stopped at the regular closing time of 8 pm and it was an absolute madhouse.

Recent Disney Memory:
    Walking into Disneyland with my bf for his first time there, and right when we walked in Mickey and Minnie were posing for pics. It was postcard perfect.

I remember walking through the parking lot to get to the main gates....ah, memories.
    Last edited by kirstenh; 01-30-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typos

First Time at Disneyland:
    When i was one so probably the summer of 1993.

How far you live away:
    I live in corona so it takes me about twenty minutes to get there with light traffic other wise about 40 minutes.

Disneyland Books:
    We have a book that tells about interesting facts about the park such as the basketball court in the matterhorn. Also we have one with hidden mickey locations. As a kid we had Disney story telling books only have a handful of them left now. Also we have Disney year books from the years 1992-2000, stop getting them after.

Disney Music:
    Have alot of disney music on my itunes. My favorite music has to come from Alladdin, then Beauty and the Beast.

Visiting the Park:
    Since we have a pass me and my siblings try to go at least once every two weeks.

Piece of Disney History:
    My father was an iron worker that worked on California Adventure during construction. He notably worked on Paradise Pier area and Buena Vista. My uncle also worked but mostly worked on the rapids. Later my Dad also got to work on Tower of Terror. While my dad was working on California Adventure he made friends with the fire marshall at Disneyland and he allowed us to go into the park for free.

Favorite Disney Memory:
    My favorite memory has to be when I finally saw Cruella deVil for the first time, she was hilarious couldnt stop laughing.

Recent Disneyland Memory:
    We were on Splash Mountain and me and my brother were in the front two seats and my sisters were in the back. Me and my brother got soaked going down the hill and my sisters were completely dry. My brother was mad about that so he turned around and splashed them and the people behind them

Other Fun Facts Over the Years
    Disneyland has connected me to so many people that i have not seen in many years which makes me love the place even more

First Time at Disneyland: age 13, 1998. Of the Disney Parks, I have only been to Disneyland. The only other park I have any serious interest in visiting is the Tokyo park.

Distance From Park: approx 7 hours

Disneyland Books: I have not read many, but that is something I certainly want to change.

Disney Music: I have some movie soundtracks, my favorites are Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland and Pocahontas. I do enjoy most of the film soundtracks though! I also made a Pandora station with "It's a Small World" which I enjoy. In addition, I listen to a Park music CD I bought in 2010.

How Often Do I Go?: We go pretty sporadically. My first time was in '98, second was in '03, third in '05, fourth in '10 and fifth in '12. I'm not sure when we will be back, but most likely no sooner than 2 or 3 years from now.

Favorite Disney Memory: There are several...I'd say my favorite isn't even my own. My dad told me about his first trip to Disneyland as a child, and how amazing he thought the view from the Skyway was, especially the view of the Submarine ride. I really like it when he tells me that story and how I can see his inner child light up.

Recent Disney Memory: My favorite memory from our most recent trip has got to be when my daughter got to steer the Mark Twain. She thought that was pretty amazing and was very concerned and careful to steer around all of the ducks, lol! I wouldn't have known to ask about that if it wasn't for MiceChat, so I love this website and greatly appreciate all of the stories and information everyone shares here.

Thank you for being so friendly Barbaraann! You're a big part in making MiceChat a pleasant place to be.
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

StarDustFairy, when people respond so favorably to a thread such as this, it makes me know that hanging around MiceChat all these years, was a wise decision. MiceChat is a bright spot in my life. I am presently on vacation, and it sure is nice to return from the park, and read these great posts.
    Pop Century Resort

• DL Vistor Since 1968

November 1968, one month before my fifth birthday

About 400 miles - or a 1.5 hour flight

Disneyland Books:
    Disneyland - The First Thirty Years. Picked it up on a trip back in January 1989 when the Disney Gallery was in New Orleans Square

Disneyland Music:
    Don't have any CD's. Favorite Disney song is "When You Wish Upon A Star".

Visiting the Parks:
    I try to visit once a year. Since 1968, I was there in 1973, 1975 or 1976, 1979, 1987, 1989, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2012. Going back this May and will be taking a friend along who loves Disney as much as I do!

Piece of History:
    None

Recent Disney Memory:
    Walking into the Golden Horseshoe Revue building for the first time since my first visit.

Adventure Thru Inner Space scared the living daylights out of me when I was a child! I had nightmares about it for many years afterwards! Had a great time disco dancing with my sister on the Space Stage in front of Space Mountain in '79.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

A new entry. How wonderful. I never tire of reading them.
    Pop Century Resort

• The High 5 & Waving Goth

Going to go ahead and post mine this is a fun thread I've been meaning to post in:

Sometime in the late 80's, probably early 1990s...my mom has a picture of me and her on the motorboat before they were removed...god, I feel old!

Let's see...too far just kidding; I'm in North Hollywood next to the 170...but on average over the summer, it took about an hour after closing to get back to NoHo. So about...hmmmmmmm...35-40 miles give or take...but it doesn't stop me from going

Disneyland Books:

Nothing yet but definitely want to pick up a few eventually to add to my bookshelves.

Disneyland Music:

Again, I'm empty on this too...need to stock up on this. Definitely have to say I would love to race down the freeway with the Space Mountain soundtrack blasting out of my car.

Visiting the Parks:

As many times as I can back in the day (pre-DCA and pre-Resort), we'd go every summer because my parents got discounted tickets through the LAUSD box offices so we'd go every so often in the summer...now with my annual pass, I end up finding myself there every weekend or so...it's just too much fun (and making up for lost time last summer after a breakup -_-)

Piece of History:

Does merchandise count? I have the original Starspeeder 3000 playset before the refurb, the Launch Collection Die Cast Models from 2011, a Starspeeder 1000 playset, die cast Monorail and a HalloweenTime pin from last year that's LTD ED (all are NRFB) - if not, oops. My parents had an old school Disneyland Mickey backscratcher though...don't know where that went.

Recent Disney Memory:

Watching the fireworks directly in front of the castle

- I used to be afraid of the original Star Tours (not sure why...) but I fought my fear a year or two after and enjoyed it ever since! Funny how Pirates, Indy nor HM scared me...

- I went on Rocket Rods once. It was awful. Ok, not really...just seemed to be poorly engineered...had they spent a little more time on it, it would've been great. Now it's just an empty shell.

- I used to love the Rocket Jets. I remember going on them back in the day and riding the elevator...they should bring it back, but OSHA would have something to say.

That's it for me. Sorry if I rambled...lulz

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Ramble on all you want. I love to hear all about what makes up a person's desire to visit Disneyland. Past experiences, music, books, family memories, nostalgia, and all the great new stuff.
    Pop Century Resort

I first went to Disneyland when I was 5 years old. I'm 47 now.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: What are your Disneyland credentials?

Probably carried into the Park as a toddler in the early 60's; I remember the "midget Autopia" when I was very young (this is before It's A Small World was built...)

I grew up in Anahaiem and Fullerton; I now reside in Whittier

Disneyland Books:
    I still have a copy of my Disneyland 25th Anniversary book, which I purchased when I worked at the Park

Disneyland Music:
    I had all the 45-rpm versions of the Disney classics: "Little April Shower" from Bambi was my favorite, and 33-rpm records of all the Disney soundtracks: Mary Poppins was my favorite

Visiting the Parks:
    I don't go as often as I used to, but I do go to both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure at least once a year (I am there every month for business, but that doesn't count... )

Piece of History:
    1) My mother worked at Disneyland before I was born; California Swimwear was a vendor and they were located directly across from the Jungle Cruise - where the Adventureland Bazaar is now; her job was to wear a grass skirt, a bathing suit top, and pose for pictures with the guests (my mother was beautiful: petite and busty; there is no doubt in my mind why she was chosen for this job...) Walt Disney used to come by daily and talk to her; he once described how he was designing a walk-through Pirates wax museum and was going to build it just beyond where the Swiss Family Treehouse stood (at the time, the only real buidling past the end of Adventureland was a restaurant themed to Aunt Jemima; my mother always said that the inside of the Blue Bayou restaurant was built to look just like the restaurant they tore down, but I have no proof of this...); my mother said that "it just sounds wonderful Mr. Disney!" and he told her, "Judy, please call me Walt..." She told me that he told her that every time he talked with her, but she could not bring herself to just call him plain ol' Walt...
    2) My father was an Anaheim fireman, and was hired to work nights as a second job while New Orleans Square was constructed; he said that by having a fireman on every shift, the Insurance Company charged Mr. Disney less... He was on duty one evening when he heard the captain of the monorail come on the emergency line of the walkie talkie and say "oh my god, I think I just hit something; I think I ran over a person..." Sure enough, the monorail had hit a young teen who was trying to sneak into the park; my dad had to climb up on a ladder and as soon as he saw the scene he knew that there was nothing he could do... He was also on duty one night after Pirates opened and one of the audio-animatronic pirates (the drunk, leaning on the lamp-post, in the Burning Town scene) caught fire and burned up!
    I remember when I was young, the Park closed at 6pm during the week, and they used to show Disney movies and cartoons in the Lincoln theatre on Main Street (before Mr. Lincoln even took up residence there); i remember that my folks would park the corvair right outside the gate and we would go in with the kids of other Disney employees. I'm sure that my parents carried my little sister and I back to the car after the movie...
    3) On my 17th birthday, I was hired to perform in the parades; I took my friend Mimi Miller to an audition and I got cast! I performed in the Very Merry Christmas Parade, Electrical Parades, and for an entier year in the 25th Anniversary Parade (in the Main Street unit); I worked there for 4 years - and loved every minute of it...

Favorite Disney Memories:
    Every parade, every show. The "Hoe-down Show" we used to do in Bear Country betwen Electric Parades. Going into the park between parades and watching Betty Taylor and Wally Boag perform in the Golden Horseshoe Review (and cheering on our friends who got cast in a plum role as one of the can-can dancers!). At the end of the parade, walking out of sight of the guests back stage and taking off our heavy character head - and watching the huge mushroom cloud of steam raise up into the cold night sky; no wonder we were all so thin back then!

Recent Disneyland Memory:
    Recently going with my spouse and a dear friend to see Cars Land - and falling completely in love with the area... Meeting the elves working with Santa Claus in the Elias & Co store on Buena Vista Street, watching the amazing Five & Dime perform - and realizing that the Magic continues with an entire new generation...

One afternoon, we were finishing our rehearsal for a parade during the day (this is when Disneyland was closed on Mondays and Tuesday during off Season) and they were testing the Big Thunder Mountain Railway; they asked us if we could ride the attraction while they were training the new Cast Members on the controls; we ALL said "YES!" becaues of course we wanted to experience the hot new E-ticket attreaction, but we rode that thing FOR HOURS; they wouldn't let us off!!
    "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Wonderful post EvilQueen. What a rich history you have with The Happiest Place on Earth.
    Pop Century Resort

EvilQueen, love your credentials! Disneyland is definitely a big part of you and your family!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast