Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

• Blew By You

Re: What are your Disneyland credentials?

According to mom, my first visit was around when I was 2 months old, so February/March 1956. My first memory of being in Disneyland was around 1959. We probably were going on annual trips since then, up to 1975.
    I first worked at Disneyland Christmas 1974 to September 1975, then again September 1978 to January 1981.
    I've been going to Disneyland almost every year, at least once. My only year I didn't go was in 1977 (I was living in Eureka, CA).
    I'm not too informed as many MichChatters are on various topics, but I figure I have good knowledge of where all the restrooms are and what's being telegraphed at the Frontierland station.
    I got married in 1990 and me and my wife have made many visits to Disneyland. We got our annual passports in 1995.
    Then we had our daughter in September 2005, took her on her first visit in December 2005.
    Me and my daughter will be going to Disneyland this Saturday.
    So, I'm a life long Disneyland person who could tell you where all the restrooms are because I worked at Disneyland and am currently married and taking my daughter to Disneyland to continue the tradition

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Even the most minor points count.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• RCMC: Java Junkie

Hmmm lets see, I've been going to Disneyland since my childhood, so 40 years worth.

I live 6 to 7 hours away by car and 1.5 hours by plane. My last 3 trips have been by plane, yes I'm getting spoiled that way. In this last year of having my AP I've visited the parks 6 times. That's a record since I would normally only visit 2 to 3 times a year.

I come from a family that loves Disney. All of my visits are either with family or my best friend.

I own a large collection of Disney movies whether on blu-ray or DVD. I also own quite a bit of Disney music including the park rides soundtrack. I also have made a few of them into ringtones (California Screamin' and MSEP).

My favorite Disney movie is Snow White and my favorite character is Grumpy. I own some Grumpy merchandise. I own one vinylmation only because it was the gumball machine.

Fantasmic, World of Color and the Fireworks are all must see shows everytime I visit.

I like to find Hidden Mickey's throughout the parks and that's the only Disney book I own.

Summer is my favorite season to visit the parks.

• keh!

Ugh, what horrible timing for my annual pass to have just expired, having to bring up Disneyland memories, haha. My annual pass expired 2 weeks ago and I did not renew nor am I planning to. I had it for 7 years and I would say that I have visited the resort over 500 times in my life. So I'm quite familiar with Disneyland.

First time in Disneyland:
    When I was 4 or 5 years old in the late 80s.

How far away do you live:
    A 20 minute drive North of Disneyland : )

Disneyland Books:
    I have the two Imagineering books, the Hidden Mickeys book, and other art of Disney theme park books that include the resort such as the Disney Mountains.

Disneyland Music:
    Not much music, a few tracks from Pirates, Mansion, Space (Dick Dale), and Splash. When I was a kid I had a red "small world" vinyl that came with a children's book. I loved listening to that thing.

Visiting the Parks:
    When I had my pass it would be 2-4 times a month. Now that I no longer have a pass I will go back to once or twice a year.

Piece of History:
    Nothing spectacular. I have kept guide maps and tickets over the years. I have the guide map for New Year's Eve 1999 going into 2000. And the oldest ticket I have is from the 90s when they used to stamp the date on it.

Recent Disney Memory:
    Having Nestle Cookie Swirl ice cream at the Gibson Girl one last time on Jan. 4th.

Other Fun Facts Over The Years:
    I have actually interned for Imagineering SQS so I have seen incredible behind the scenes areas and made many Imagineer friends.

Favorite Attraction:
    Splash Mountain, although I have been reconsidering Matterhorn Bobsleds.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Mischief Managed

Blog Entries

F
    irst time in Disneyland that I could actually recall was in 1980. I was 6 years old.

How far away do you live: 35 miles. I've been a neighbor of the Walt Disney Disney Studios all my life.

Disneyland Books: I have quite a few. I buy books on Disneyland, Disney Animation and Walt Disney the man. One of my favorite books is called "The Illusion of Life". Its the bible for animators and was written by Disney animators Frank & Ollie. It focuses on the principals of animation but its a very large hard cover book with 567 pages of beautiful beautiful images from disney films. The Disney film Frank & Ollie is loosely based on their friendship and the making of that book.

Disneyland Music: I have a lot. The first music set I bought at disneyland was back in the 90's called The Music of Disney, A Legacy In Song. I also have the 50th set and the entire Disneyland Forever Kiosk collection. But what I listen to most is my self compiled Disneyland Main Street Area Christmas Music.

Visiting the Parks: Well I went once every other year as a child. But back in 1991 everything changed during my Junior year of high school when my best friend kept asking me to go to Disneyland with him. So we went and had a great time. Then the follow month he asked me again and we went and had a great time. Then the following month he asked again and I said "dude, tickets are pricey to go once a month. Your crazy." Thats when he told me about Annuaaaaal Passessssss. I immediately bought my first pass in 1992 and have never stopped since. I found 15 of them. Got 6 more somewhere in storage.

After we both owned passes, I viewed Disneyland in a whole new spot light. It was truly our playground now and we went at least once a month. What do two high school kids with AP's and a video camera do in Disneyland? Make a movie. I got the movie making bug and brought my 8mm video camera to the park all the time and convinced my friend to make a home movie with me of Disneyland and he be the tour guide. Hehe… I wanted to capture everything about this place. I was in love with Disneyland. Here was our first movie.

My friend left Cali after high school and I remained. I continued my visits solo to the park and soon looked up to Walt Disney the man. He was my hero and I wanted to follow in his foot steps. I wanted to build my own theme park one day. A daunting task i know, so I thought how did Walt start out. Animation. I had loved animation already, but never thought about pursuing it as a career as I was already pursuing an acting career. So I eventually studied to become an animator and graduated with honors in Character Animation. I was mentored by 3 different pixar animators. The funny thing about me is I am one of those people who wants to do everything. So other studies derailed my professional animation career but not personal animation projects. Over the years, I continued my visits to Disneyland. I have had many friends, hard core disneyland fans, people in WDI, CM's, all come and go. Burned out to never return. Then at some point in early 2000, a new feeling arose in me regarding Disneyland. I realized when old rides were being replaced with new ones, it was really affecting me. America Sings, People Mover. Original Subs, Sky Way. But when they announced plans to mess with MY attraction, PIRATES, I decided to merge one of my other passions, photography, and in 2004 I bought the first affordable DSLR, the very first Canon Digital Rebel and started taking snap shots in the park. I did this so that when rides were taken out, I would have my own keepsake of rides that I loved so much. I was immediately hooked. Hoooooooked I tell ya. In 2005 i started to get serious about it and upgraded my equipment, lenses, and photography in Disneyland became a major driving force in my life. I do it just for the love of the park and nothing more. Ever since then, I've gone to the park once a week, still to this day, with total excitement when I arrive and still getting bummed when I have to leave. If I had any Disneyland Credential, just maybe I might possibly be the first person to ever shot night time HDR photography in the park. At least on a consistant basis. It's just a observation since I've scoured the internet looking for night time HDR pictures earlier than mine and still no luck. I would LOVE to find some, as I'm a fan first. Back when I started I didn't see a soul do what I was doing. And honestly i was so nervous. And nobody online was talking about it. But I loved Disneyland too much and wanted to try. This was my first night time HDR photo. It was of Splash Mountain during the 50th Anniversary in 2005. You can see the 50th Mickey Ears in the rock work.

What's also been interesting is now recognizing other people who visit the park as much as I do, and some even more. Glad I'm finding other Disneyland loones like me

Piece of History: I've collected a few commemorative items here and there, especially serigraphs, but one item i cherish a lot is my Disneyland brick in esplanade that I bought in 2000. Its right in front of the main gates. I also have one in WDW near the main gate bought in 1995. I also inherited my mothers original Snow White doll in the original box from the 1930's.

Recent Disney Memory: I was personally invited to the Disney Studios. It was a dream come true. I've lived all my life minutes from the studios. I rode my bike past it weekly dreaming of what office window would be mine. It was amazing to see the studios on a personal tour. I also ran into Tony Baxter in the Disneyland Gallery and got to talk about the art work and got a picture with him in front a painting of Walt. His idea too. So perfect. It was very cool since it was just random and inside the gallery of Disneyland. I've never been fortunate enough to see any of the special locations of Disneyland such as Club 33, The Lili Belle or The Dream Suite.

Other Fun Facts Over The Years: Up until joining MiceChat in 2005, I felt like I was the only Disneyland AP on planet earth. I never found another AP and wondered if I was just this crazy loon. When I would tell others how often I would go to Disneyland, they'd look at me like I just told them I visit planet Mars on the weekends and am planing a trip to Jupiter soon. Its been nice to connect with others who love Disneyland as much as I do. I also have a thing about being the last visitor of attractions on the day they close, publicly. The last closing I attended was StarTours 1.0 and being in the second to last public StarSpeeder. I recorded the whole experience here. Also, during the 40th Anniversary of Disneyland, I drove to Disneyland 41 days in a row, 70 miles a day, to collect each collector card.

After all this being said, after all the years and time continuously spending my entire adult life at Disneyland, it is a part of my psyche. I know burn out is not possible anymore. Disneyland has truly become my home away from home. And there is a lot of truth to that statement. 4 years ago my parents lost their home and now Disneyland has literally become the most familiar place in my life. I am just happy and content being there not doing a darn thing.
    Last edited by orbitalpunk; 01-18-2013 at 05:32 AM.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

orbitalpunk: I really enjoyed your post, and your video was wonderful. Sights I have never experienced for myself were in there. Thanks from me to you. A delightful way to start my day.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Hooterville, USA

The year, 1972. We were invited to march down Main Street and later we were handed two ticket books to enjoy the park. It was my greatest time there! As a family, we went maybe 3 times ever, even though we live within 20 minutes of DL. We went to Knotts instead because it was free to get in.

Anywho, I now live 5 minutes away and my wife is a CM there and we visit anytime we choose. Made a lot of friends because of this site and other CMs and I have truly enjoyed reading about others in this thread.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• DLR Softie

First time in Disneyland: 1979 @ 4 years of age

How far away do you live: Now, a little more than an hour away

Visiting the Parks: Growing up - Anywhere from 3-6+ times a year; usually with my cousins. Now - 2-4 times a year, at least one of those trips sans my children and one of the other trips would be on Christmas Eve with my children and their grandparents (We've been making the Christmas trips the last 4 years and that trip 4 years ago was my 1st time @ the park during full Christmas overlay).

Favorite Disneyland attractions: Haunted Mansion (just say no to Nightmare before Xmas!), Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Radiator Springs Racers, Pirates of the Caribbean, Fantasmic!, Autopia, pre-refurb Matterhorn, pre-Nemo Submarines, Mr Toads, Soaring (later in the day when feet are a lil sore), Adventure Through Inner Space, steamboat rides @ dusk.

Favorite Disneyland food: Sour ball candies (buy at least 2 bags each trip), Monte Cristo and Pommes Frites (only had that for my 1st time @ the last leap day event), Red Wagon corn dog, chimichanga when it gets chilly at night.

Piece of History: I am aware of, but have not had the opportunity to do the following : Ride the Lily Belle, pilot the steamboat, wake the Tiki birds, Club 33.

Grad night '93, my girlfriend of 4 months and I rode the Haunted Mansion 11 times in a row to maintain lip lock. She is my wife now and she always cozies up with me when we get into a doombuggy (bonus history - We went to the 1st showing of Jurassic Park that morning immediately after getting back from grad night).

I only saw Fantasmic for the 1st time on our Christmas trip 3 years ago. My son was 3 at the time and he had just recently gotten interested in dragons. He was asleep in the stroller by the time the show started and we could not wake him up for anything when Murphy arose.

I grew up wearing this record out :

Haunted Mansion - book & vinyl record - read-along 1970 - YouTube

Recent Disney Memory: Another Disney Day (the leap day event) was my worst experience at Disney - crowded, crowded, crowded and during the day about 1/2 the rides broke down while were waiting in line for them. Disney did make it right though and took care of my wife and I for our bad experience.

My favorite memories are the ones that I'm getting now by taking my kids and showing them the cool stuff that not everyone knows about. I love running around Tom Sawyers Island with the kids. I laughed so hard when my daughter tried to take the golden apple for the 1st time and she jumped all the way back the hub. The kids love looking for the Cheshire cat in the mirror.

I love that feeling that I get when I walk under the left arch (always the left!), admire the ride posters and leave the outside behind..

Other Fun Facts Over The Years: My trips have ALWAYS started with Jungle Cruise, Pirates and then HM. That is the order and the way - if you want to stop and eat, or ride something else when we 1st get there, then go with someone else..

When I was about 8, if I recall, my cousin and I got to walk Mr Toads from the train scene forward, due to breakdown.

I love the smell and sounds of Autopia

Did I mention that I miss the old Submarine ride? Have I mentioned that I don't care for the Nightmare Before XMas overlay for HM and that I think they do it way too early?? There's no way that I should go to DLR for Halloween and not enjoy an OG HM ride.. <<sigh>>

I lurked on this board for about a year and a half before posting - thanks for all the info I got!!
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money" - Walt Disney

• Team Hail HYDRA

In 2003

45 mins

Disneyland Books:
    I have about 20 different Disney books

Disneyland Music:
    Ill my music is Disney

Visiting the Parks:
    I got a pass in 2010 and go about every other week

Recent Disney Memory:
    Meeting John Lasseter on June 15 less than 5 minitues after Oswald on MC did

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• New Mommy

Quote Originally Posted by HM 339 View Post
    Piece of History: I am aware of, but have not had the opportunity to do the following : Ride the Lily Belle, pilot the steamboat, wake the Tiki birds, Club 33.
    You can wake the tiki birds?!?!! How does one get the opportunity to do this?

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!

KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Team Hail HYDRA

i heard you can do this if youare the first there in the morning and you can ask the CM

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• New Mommy

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    i heard you can do this if youare the first there in the morning and you can ask the CM
    Adding this to my bucket list! And you're referring to the CM at the Tiki Room, right?

Thank you for the info!! Yet another amazing discovery thanks to MiceChat.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!

KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Adding this to my bucket list! And you're referring to the CM at the Tiki Room, right?

Thank you for the info!! Yet another amazing discovery thanks to MiceChat.
    As for as I understand, some CM's pull a guest from the audience to "wake" the birds before every show. It's done to start the show. I don't believe this to be a morning only, getting the mechanism going kind of thing.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• The doctor is in

Some pics from my 50th Anniversary school trip:

Getting our trophies from Minnie and Mickey
    Name:  DLR001[2].jpg
Views: 127
Size:  153.2 KB

C-3PO pre-Star Tours refurb
    Name:  DLR004[2].jpg
Views: 126
Size:  108.6 KB

Some snaps of myself and my best friend at the time in Toon Town and on Small World
    Name:  DLR002[2].jpg
Views: 128
Size:  187.5 KBName:  DLR003[2].jpg
Views: 129
Size:  187.7 KB

• Disney Obsessed

I THINK I was 3.. so around 1988. I don't remember my first trips, I've just seen lots of pictures of them.

In Phoenix, AZ... about 5 hours drive... or better depending on the LA traffic when we get in! lol

Disneyland Books:
    I have the mouse tales books, LOVE, and lots of disney trivia books. I take pictures of the books and other things that I want to buy but can't afford/haven't gotten around to yet and put them in a folder on FaceBook. It's like my treasure grotto (ariel's my fave) of things I DONT have lol.

Disneyland Music:
    I have a 3 disc set of disney music, that has some park music on it, but mostly movies. I used to own ALL the "Disney Greatest" CDs when they first started coming out ages ago, but they have since been lost by my younger sister over the years. (Never give a younger sibling the ORIGINAL, always back it up and give them a copy! lol) I also own the 50th anniversary edition of the park, and wish I had more music. I have downloaded a lot of park music from websites and other places that offer it and I play my disneyland park play list the most when I've had a bad day at work or just over all need to calm down.

Visiting the Parks:
    Because I don't live close I'm always going with someone. I did do the Disney College Program in 2006, in WDW and I would frequently go by myself. If I lived closer to DLR I would go all the time by myself. I rather enjoy my own company.

Piece of History:
    Disney has always been a thing for my family. Other people think we're weird. My in-laws just "don't get it". It was the 1st out of state trip I took my boyfriend (now husband on) and he hadn't been since he was 6! It was where we got engaged (on the drawbridge!). It was where I had my bachlorette party.
    I am not involved in anything with disney's history, but it is a big part of mine.

Recent Disney Memory:
    I have lots of great memories from different trips... but some of my favorites are:
    In 2005 when I took my now husband for the 1st time, and he rode Indy for the 1st time, and really thought the boulder was coming at us and that the ride was broken. He was screaming so loud, and BEGGED me never to tell anyone about it. So, naturally, it's my favorite story to tell! lol.
    My bachlorette party. It was a disaster. But salvageable because of being in DLR. I had too many friends who were all too different. If I had 2 group trips it wouldve been better. But it was fun seeing all my friends who never really go to Disney in the parks with me, experiencing so much for the 1st time.
    My first double date with my best friend to the parks! And ditching the boys at ESPN Zone while we went back to have more fun.
    AND my future memory: My best friend and I's first gumball rally trip!! (IF The date ever comes out!!!). We have tried to do it for years! And the date or the money never works out! So we are VERY excited!

Other Fun Facts Over The Years:
    I did the 2006 WDWCP, and worked in the Studios. Loved every minute! Was a campus rep for awhile after. And still kind of am. I have convinced many a young college kid to go and do the program. It has so many benefits for them, and so many life experiences that they will have. In fact if I could re-do any year in my life it would be 2006... AND my now husband and I broke up TWICE That year! I was devastated then! THATS how much the program influenced and affected my life, that I would re-live those breakups just to be able to do it all again.
    My best friend also loves disney, admittedly, not as much as I do. But it's nice to have someone in my life who understands. We have many other things that make us best friends and have made us believe we were ment to be life long friends, but Disney is surely the glue that brought us and holds us together.
    I also collect disney "stuff". MOSTLY Anything Ariel. I have every Ariel pin, and I always buy a new one (if there is a new one) on my trips. I also buy pins to celebrate special occassions. I bought a postcard pin in 2007, when my family could finally afford to all go again. I bought a beautiful castle pin when we got engaged. And several others to mark special times. I keep my pins in shadow boxes. And I plan to do more with the boxes with my Ariel pins if I ever have time (like find some great "water" scrapbook paper to put as the background).

I usually don't bring insight to the conversations here. Everyone knows more than I do here. But I love to read everything on the site! And become informed! In my real world no one knows as much as I do, and this is where I "further my education" if you will. lol. So thank YOU to everyone who shares their insight, their thoughts, their knowledge and just plain fun stories and trip reports! You truely make my day every day!
    Last edited by CSei2011; 01-19-2013 at 06:00 AM.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast