Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: What are your Disneyland credentials?

First time in Disneyland:
    1995, I was 2 years old

How far away do you live:
    Thousands of miles away. I'm from England

Disneyland Books:
    Not until very recently, just finished 'Walt Disney Imagineering Legends and the Genesis of the Disney Theme Park' and just bought 'Poster Art of the Disney Parks' and waiting for it to come.

Disneyland Music:
    I used to be not too much anymore. I'm a cast member at Paris now so get to here Disney music a lot when I'm working. Even though I work at Disneyland Paris, Disneyland in California is still the park I take most interest in, and although its not officially my 'home' park, I'd count it as that

Visiting the Parks:
    Never been on my own, I'm always with family. If I lived close though I probably would have a few solo trips

Disney Memory:
    Around 1995 I'm guessing, I was 3 and at the gates ready and waiting for the park to open in the morning. Once it did, Mickey and Minnie came over, each took one of my hands and walked me all the way up Main Street, then I didn't want to walk anymore so I went into my stroller, they then pushed me all the way through the castle and Fantasyland and into ToonTown. To be fair I can't actually remember it, but my parents video taped it.

• Master Gracey's Music Man

I'm gonna borrow from Oswald's format for this one :-)

First time in Disneyland: For me it was as a baby in 1982 with my mom

How far away do you live:

San Francisco, CA (Roughly 6-8 hours pending traffic)

Disneyland Books:

I have a few including this one collection which I cant remember the name of currently but
    I know that it was an all yellow cover collection. More recently one book I keep reading is
    The Haunted Mansion book that was out out by Jason Surrell (I keep forgetting the proper spelling lol)

Disneyland Music:

I have some Vinyl and CD's in my collection, I keep The Musical History of Disneyland on my
    Ipod along with The Haunted Mansion Anniversary Soundtracks (Including the 36th). Some other music included are the Disney Pixar Soundtracks as well as some miscellaneous cd's

Visiting the Parks: I tend to visit the parks about once a month, twice if I have the time. Mostly consists of road tripping all the way down to see my girlfriend and we plan the trip
    with a visit to the parks.

Piece of History:

My grandmother and my mother rode It's a Small World on opening day, to which I only found this out recently when my grandmother brought it up after watching "Modern Marvels". Also my grandmother still has an unused ticket book from back before I was born.

I've been going to Disneyland since 1982 except for the period between 1994 - mid/late 2005. During that time I just didnt have the time to go but after I started going to conventions and began working at one big convention that used to be held at the ACC which also I had begun dating my first serious gf at that time, had brought me back to my favorite place. In 2005 I took the step and became a Premium AP Holder to which I've been ever since. I can only describe my first time stepping into main street for the first time after an 11 year hiatus as feeling like I was a little kid again, practically brought tears to my eyes and a happiness that could not be done justice with words. Since then I've been keeping with the once/twice a month routine and the rest is history. Lots of other fun things over the years but too much to fit here :-)

Recent Disney Memory: December 2nd. 2008 at 6:47pm aboard the Mark Twain I asked my since then Girlfriend out officially. We were alone (except for the CM manning the helm) on the top deck at the front and she accepted. It could not have been a more perfect moment. We've recently passed the 4 year mark and am looking forward to many more!

Other Fun Facts Over The Years:

The Haunted Mansion is my absolute favorite ride in Disneyland and though I don't really get the chance to do this much anymore, I used to have a tradition where I would ride it 13 times in a row on one day of a trip down there. Made a few friends of the CM's there in the process as well :-) Usually it's on a day where she spends time with her parents so it leaves me free to do whatever.

Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,
    Nous valserons ensemble, macabre débutante.

This is a fantastic thread!
    ~ Erik

Love your history & memories Haunted Mansion DJ!

• Nor Cal AP'er

My first visit when I was 5 years old,I don't remember anything,but I have a picture though. Ive been to the parks at least 20 times,the most Ive been was last year 7x.

Distance from the parks-I lived in Nor-Cal all my life,so it's a 6-7 hour drive per way. 382 miles. 75 minute flight per Southwest.

Disney book-none read recently,except on-line blogs (micechat.com )

Disney Music-nothing except from what I memorized from movies.

Disney Movies-I have large collection VHS,DVD and Blu-Ray movies at home that I watch on a regular basis.

Visiting the parks-I have gone with family when I was younger,a few gf's but as of the last few years mostly solo trips and meet up with friends (which I have met through here!)

Favorite rides-POTC,HM,SM,RSR,MB,TM,ST,CS,PM

Favorite Parades- Mulans Parade,Hercules Victory parade,Parade of Dreams, Holiday Magic,

Memorabilia-I collect Pins,refrigerator magnets,Antenna Balls,pressed pennies,ear hats and whatever strikes my fancy.

I have an Preminum AP,upgraded from a Deluxe,2nd year AP holder.

Why I go? It's one of the few places/memories that is completely unadulterated,pure and I can feel like a kid everytime.
    I am a Annual Pass Holder and I'm better than you! lol!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

First time visit to Disneyland ....1979

Though I live a thousand miles away I rarely go more than 30 months without a visit....except maybe when I take a big trip to Disney World.

Mice Chat poster since the very beginning (Jan 2005).... member of the Fabulous exodus
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    This is a fantastic thread!
    I totally agree, and the posts keep getting better and better.

They have definitely lifted my spirits today.

• once a Skip always a Skip

My first trip was in the early 90's, I was three.

I'm from Seattle, so most of my life I've lived entirely too far away! I went to college in Socal and was an annual passholder for three years and worked Ad/Front attractions for one year.

Favorite rides: I'm definitely a west-sider - Jungle, Indy and Thunder are my top rides.

Favorite show/entertainment offering: the 5:30 snow moment on Main Street during the Christmas season.

Books: ohmygosh Disney books. Love 'em. I have a shelf full of books about the park, a few books about corporate and a few coffee table books as well.

Disney music: yep.

First trip to Disneyland:

My first trip to Disneyland was in April of 1995 as a "tween." We took the Amtrak from Sacramento to Anaheim, and when we arrived at our hotel slightly after midnight, we discovered that our travel agent had stolen our hotel money and that we had no hotel reservations! We had to use our "fun" money on a new hotel room. While we were eventually reimbursed, we had to penny pinch for most of the vacation. I believe we were originally supposed to spend 3 days in Disneyland, and one day each at Knotts and Universal, but our travel agency let us exchange those Knotts and Universal tickets for Disneyland tickets. I still have never gone to Universal, even though I've now lived in SoCal for over 10 years. Despite these issues, it was wonderful! Indy had just opened, and we waited in 2-3+ hour lines over and over to ride it. In fact, because it was spring break, all of the lines were really long, but we didn't care -- we still had a lot of fun. However, this caused us to miss out on smaller rides, like the Country Bears, and most of the shows. I don't think we even saw Fantasmic, which has repercussions to this day. I don't get any nostalgic feelings when I see it now, and I find it underwhelming as compared to World of Color.

How I started going again as an adult:

I left for college in 2002, moving to Southern California. I met my current bf that year, and we simply avoided Disneyland for years. I was swayed by anti-Disney articles in the OC Weekly (concerning workers' wages, working conditions, park conditions, etc.), and I developed a strong dislike for Eisner. We went one Christmas (was it 2003?), but only after we got one of our former-CM friends to sign us in. It wasn't that we didn't have the money, but just felt disgust at the condition of Disneyland compared to years past, and didn't want to give our money to Disney. Were we cutting off our own noses to spite our faces for all those years? Yeah, probably.

Not to reveal too much about my job, but I see blueprints on a daily basis. In 2007, we received plans for a project called Midway Mania. It wasn't the first Disneyland project I'd seen, but this one actually got my attention. What exactly got my attention? The gigantic Mr. Potato Head. I thought that Mr. Potato Head would be the climax or culmination of the ride. When I discovered that the AA Mr. Potato Head wasn't even part of the actual ride itself, but would be stationed in front, I was surprised. I thought, if Mr. Potato Head isn't the pinnacle of the ride, then the ride itself must be amazing! It was that moment there that got me interested in Disneyland again.

I considered taking my mom to Disneyland for mother's day that year, but I was concerned about my mom's age and the fact that she's disabled. A co-worker convinced me to just buy Annual Passes -- that way we wouldn't have to spend an entire day there, and could take on the park at our own speed. So, I bought my mom and myself premium annual passes and we have had them ever since. I even got my Disney-hating bf to get one and now he loooooves Disneyland lol.

You see, this is the perspective I came from. At least it's better now than it was 10 years ago. I don't remember too much from my vacation as a kid in 1995, except for the rides themselves. Some of these rides are better now, like Space Mountain (harder to see the track now, stars are brighter) and Star Tours. I completely missed the Skyway and People Mover. To me, Disneyland has improved from my own personal starting point. I'm optimistic about the future of the park.

Favorite Rides:

Pirates
    Splash Mountain
    Ok... all the mountains
    Racers
    Soarin'
    Screamin' (queue is not themed, but the ride reminds me of the Giant Dipper of my youth)
    ToT
    TSMM
    ... I guess I like all the good ones that everyone else likes lol

Books/Music:

The only book I have is the Hidden Mickey book. I guess I'm just focused on going to the park and enjoying myself? I'll probably buy one of those great coffee table books eventually. I have the Lion King soundtrack, but I believe you meant Disneyland music? I am also collecting all of the Disney animated feature Blu Rays.

Speaking of collecting:

I just love Duffy. I think he is adorable, and I love how he is popular in Japan (does that artificially inflate his cool factor? probably). I collect his outfits. I am dying for Shellie May to come to the U.S., as I can't wait to own my own Shellie May, but also because I know that a girl companion would make Duffy more popular.
    I also collect ear hats and ear headbands. I only buy the ones I really like -- so far, I've really liked 18 of them lol.
    I like buying pins, too, but not for trading. I buy them as souvenirs. Each one represents a particular memory.

Speaking of memories...
    My favorite Disneyland memories:

Going to Disneyland with my bf immediately after having given him his annual pass for Christmas...
    Seeing the Endeavour being carried by a 747 high over Main Street...
    Our Cars Land/BVS preview...
    Glow with the Show World of Color and Fantasmic...
    New Years 2011, 2012, and 2013...
    Any time we went to Napa Rose (I heart Saucy)...
    Did I mention World of Color???? lol
    Seeing the mountain climbers and band on the Matterhorn...
    Snow on Main Street...

Things I have yet to do:

I would love to dine at Club 33 and have no idea of how people still do it these days.
    I haven't experienced the Mark Twain from the wheelhouse, or the DLRR from the tenderbox, but these will come...
    I haven't been to Walt's apartment, but understand you can do so by taking a tour. I'm not sure I agree with that...

How often do I go?

We try to go once a week. Sometimes I go with my mom, or with my bf, and sometimes the three of us go together.
    Last edited by The First Star; 01-19-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: grammar/spelling

Quote Originally Posted by jbean View Post
    Love your history & memories Haunted Mansion DJ!

Thank you!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

To add to my initial post, several pages back, a few other sections:

More elements I love about Disneyland: Going to Hell and the little rubber devils at the end of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, the Space Mountain music and 'comm chat' audio, the hatchet man painting and ghoul photos in the Haunted Mansion corridor of doors, the dark (Nothing in here but bees!) drop at the midway point of Splash Mountain, the old safety/loading instructions video from Star Tours, the intro garden show at Tiki Room, the sound of the Swisskapolka still coming from the one gramaphone at the Treehouse, the echoing sound of 'dead men tell no tales...' in the caves at the start of Pirates, the traditional western songs along the Big Thunder Trail and watching the remaining fish from Nature's Wonderland splash around, the 'chimes' and wind sound effect coming from the Matterhorn along with the roar of the abominable snowman, and many many more.

Favorite Disneyland foods: the traditional corn dog from Main Street, pommes frites at Cafe Orleans, jalapeno cheese pretzel at Coke Corner, Mickey chocolate mousse tart at Jolly Holiday, a M&M pretzel stick from the Critter Country bakery, beignets at New Orleans Square, the new pretzel sausage sandwich they serve at Village Haus.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

MiceChatters do not disappoint. I ask for them to share their "credentials", and they tell us wonderful, and unique things.

I've been going since at least 1984. I've been at least 6 times since. My wife and I will be going in one week from now and haven't been since '09. We are finally staying at GCH after staying at roach motels. Don't know if that gives us credentials, but our financial situation has changed for the better. I really wish I could do something special for my wife as we've had the most expensively worst problems with fertility (hey it's the Internet and anonymous). If anyone has any reco other than fancy dinner to blow my wife off her feet, that would be awesome and would certainly held with your credentials as uber disneyland helper.

First Trip to Disneyland - 1973 or 1974, I believe. We have some 8mm movies of those early trips somewhere. Growing up in Fountain Valley, visiting the park was a relatively routine event.

I remember my cousins coming in from Hawai'i for a visit and acting as a tour guide at the park. Have very fond memories of the bicentennial parade in 1976 and being amazed at Elliott and Pete in the original Main Street Electrical Parade the first time I saw it one summer night. My dad worked for a big defense company in SoCal at the time, and they would have corporate nights in the park. Walking onto attractions like POTC and Space Mountain with no wait was incredible and I recall the strange qualities of an empty Disneyland - sort of like that silence that comes with a heavy snowfall.

Family Connections - my mom worked in the Lost and Found area of the Guest Relations department for a season or two and my sister was Dale for a year or so before joining the Peace Corps.

Favorite Attractions -

Tiki Room... I recall the Tiki Garden Show and perhaps being served food or drink in the Tiki Room itself. Don't know if that was possible, but I remember my grandparents trying to quiet me during the show, which completely blew me away! I still listen to Tiki Room soundtrack elements a few times a week while I'm in traffic - talk about a change of latitude!

Space Mountain... My dad was very good about taking me to the bathroom and then getting us back in line again when I the incredibly long wait (and nervousness) invariably forced me out of line for Space Mountain. We always rode it, but I remember having sweaty palms as we finally made our way into the interior queue! The original interior load sound loop was a real aural sensation and I remember almost every note of it as I think about those astronauts in the complete spacecraft over the load area. Just awesome for a kid!

Mission to Mars... The pre-show was a hundred times more fascinating than the attraction itself. There was always an adorable young cast member who would warm up the crowd with Tom Morrow. I remember her as being amazingly attractive - even before I was ten. Weird, those associations... I loved McDonnell-Douglas and Monsanto... and all of the companies who presented the attractions at Disneyland!

Jungle Cruise, Pirates and endless hours running it out on Tom Sawyers Island. I would indulge whoever wanted to go on the Teacups, but I found myself completely intrigued by the miniaturized worlds of the Storybook Land Boats and Peter Pan.

America Sings
    ... I loved Sam and the entire cast of this incredible show. It was so tightly scripted - so perfectly executed - that it is still unfathomable to me that it was ever removed. I can't believe it couldn't be updated every decade or so for a new generation. Pity.

Disneyland Hotel / Dancing Waters
    ... As I said, we had a few out-of-town guests - friends of my parents, who had kids of their own and the like - come visit us in California as I was growing up and they would often stay at the Hotel. Back in the 70s, the Disneyland Hotel was nearly as amazing as Disneyland itself and I remember having free reign over the place as the grown-ups took advantage of the outdoor bars and lush gardens to catch up with each other. The Dancing Waters was the inspiration for today's spectacular water displays in the parks and people would flock to see the fountains do their thing.

Forty-two years on, and based in North Carolina, I'm now taking my three kids on annual pilgrimages to WDW, which I'd never visited before moving here in 2003. My wife, also a SoCal native, and I love Walt Disney World - it is such an immersive experience compared to Disneyland! We literally enter the resort and don't resurface for six days. These trips truly rejuvenate the soul. There are some unparalleled attractions in Florida - the theming at Animal Kingdom is stunning and Kali Rapids and Expedition Everest are simply amazing attractions (in spite of the Yeti being permanently disabled).

Being at the original park is a very nostalgic experience for me now, but it does feel a bit like going to see the place where you were born - nothing is as big or impressive and the castle looks so strangely undersized now! Still, every time I pass under the railroad berm into the park, I get misty-eyed (always behind some sunglasses, of course), happy to be back in Walt's (and my) beloved Disneyland.
    Last edited by Erik Olson; 01-19-2013 at 09:00 PM.
    ~ Erik

Figured adding to the list of the favorite rides couldn't hurt, so here are my other favorites after the mansion including some that are no longer with us:

POTC
    Thunder Mountain
    Matterhorn
    Space Mountain
    Splash Mountain
    Indiana Jones
    Jungle Cruise
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride aka Hell
    Submarine Voyage
    People Mover
    Skyway
    20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
    Maelstrom
    It's a Small World

Just to name a few, I generally like all of the rides but these are the ones that stand out more to me.

@Regions Beyond: Aside from The Ghost Host's Spiel I use the comm chat for my phone's ringer from time to time

Also in the spirit of Regions Beyond's addition I believe I will follow suit.

Favorite Disneyland Food: There are many but here's what stands out
    Sushi, Sashimi, and Agedashi Tofu from The Yamabuki (R.I.P.)
    Lobster Thermador From The Yamabuki
    Turkey Legs!!!
    The Monte Cristo Sandwich from both Cafe Orleans & Blue Bayou
    Gumbo!
    Baked Potato Soup
    Blue Bayou Surf & Turf
    Jumbalaya
    Pan Seared Chicken in Jus
    Pommes Frites
    French Onion Soup
    Seafood Crepe
    Creole Crepe
    Chicken Fusili from Red's Pizza Port
    Churros
    Hot Chocolate from the carts
    Sundaes from The Gibson Girl

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast