Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

• No Disassemble!

Re: What are your Disneyland credentials?

First time in Disneyland:
    1979. I was 8 months old and I have been to Disneyland at least once every year after.

How far away do you live:
    San Diego (about 90 miles away) for the last 8 years and before that I grew up in La Habra Heights (about 20 miles away).

Disneyland Books:
    I've been collecting pictorial souvenir books since the nineties. My first book was "Disneyland The First Thirty-Five Years" and more recently I purchased "Disneyland Through the Decades".

Family Involvement:
    In her college years my mother worked at Disneyland as a cashier at both Tomorrowland Terrace and the Space Place. My Step-Brother was a waiter at the Napa Rose (also a college job). My uncle helped design and install the air conditioning systems for Indiana Jones and I have a cousin-in-law that helped install the electrical lines for World of Color.

Disneyland Music:
    My mom and her sister were big fans of the park and as a result I inherited a slew of 7" Disneyland related vinyl records. My favorite, since I was 4 years old, is a 1969 Haunted Mansion promo LP that's more widely known as "Story & Song from the Haunted Mansion". The background sounds from the story track still gives me the creeps to this day.

Visiting the Parks:
    When I was single and lived 20 miles away I'd go the park just about anytime I wasn't working. Now that I'm married and live farther down south we (wife & I + 2 kids) usually go once a month and do a 3-5 day stay at either the GC or DL hotel at least once or twice a year.

Disney Memory:
    Once on a weekday evening in 1986 (I was 7), close to closing time, my mom let me go on the rocket jets by myself as many times as I wanted while she sat and chatted with some old work buddies out at the Terrace (I know, but in the eighties nobody really worried about kidnappings happening at Disneyland). The only caveat to this fun was that you couldn't do a re-ride back then. Instead you had to exit the attraction completely (elevator and all). So I got really good at running through the exit, down the elevator, back through the turnstiles, up the elevator, and back up into outer space again. Around the third or fourth time doing this two kids had joined me in doing the same thing. Later on it was four more kids and so-on and so-on until we had such a big group that almost every rocket had a kid in it. I don't remember how many times total I went on the Rocket Jets but I do remember all of us being exhausted and sweaty, then getting off the elevator and seeing some pretty P.O.ed moms wondering where their kids ran off to. I never got in trouble that night but I did get really sick of the Rocket Jets for whole half year or so after that night.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Quote Originally Posted by porterdude View Post
    I really wish I could do something special for my wife as we've had the most expensively worst problems with fertility (hey it's the Internet and anonymous). If anyone has any reco other than fancy dinner to blow my wife off her feet, that would be awesome and would certainly held with your credentials as uber disneyland helper.
    Just a few ideas...
    VIP seating at Fantasmic (I think you can do that through the Disney Dining number). You get hot chocolate or coffee, good seats, and a dessert tray.
    Arrive early -- be first in line at the gates (they do this cute countdown thing) and then go watch rope drop at the end of Main Street.
    While you're there early, go to the Main Street train station and ask to ride the Lilly Belle. They'll even punch your souvenir train tickets with a locomotive-shaped hole punch.
    You mentioned fancy dinner... If you'll be dining at my favorite, Napa Rose, ask for Saucy. He's really great.
    The GCH has a spa -- you could treat her to some spa time.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Loved the Rocket Jets story. I also love how so many of you have rally'd around this thread. I have a much better feeling now of where many of you are coming from, or should I say how you arrived at your present day "Disneyland Credentials".
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• The doctor is in

Just to say, I miss the blackened chicken caesar salad Cafe Orleans used to have. When I went to Disneyland with my mom in 2006 we both got that salad and some french onion soup. It was delicious. I have never seen it on the menu again.

Also a random question... does anyone else remember the Day at Disneyland VHS tapes they used to sell? I still have my copy and it still plays. I watch it every once in a while.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

about a 2 1/2 hour plane ride away from the happiest place on earth

This is a great post! I'm not very good at writing my thoughts out, so I will use the same format as a lot of other previous posts.

First Time to Disneyland: My first visit was when i was about 6 years old. At that time I had fun, but I was scared of most of the rides. I blame it on my parents for taking me on Matterhorn as our first ride. I can still remember being thrashed around and getting scared by the monster. I got scared very easily as a child and still do now,lol. Funny thing is, now I love the matterhorn and was a little disappointed that the ride is not as jerky as it use to be with the new refurb. My second trip was when I was about 16, and I was forever changed I had fallen in love with Disneyland. I then set the goal to try to make it to Disneyland once a year for the rest of my life. (I live out of state) So far I have been able to keep up my goal, but unfortunately it keeps getting more and more expensive so I don't know how many more years I will be able to consecutively make it to disneyland, but I sure will keep trying. Every trip for me gets better and better. A few of my favorite trips so far has been in 2005, when 3 of my friends and I went to disneyland for our graduation trip. 2006 when I saved enough money for me and my little cousin to spend 5 days at disneyland just the two of us. 2009, when my husband proposed to me on splash mountain. And 2010, when we went to Disneyland for our honeymoon.

How Far Away Do You Live: I unfortunately live 1,160 miles away from disneyland. It's only 17 hours and 21 minutes by car or 15 days and 19 hours by foot, according to google maps.

Disneyland Books: My collection of Disney books is starting to grow. I was very excited to get "Poster Art of the Disney Parks" for christmas this year. I also have "The Art of Walt Disney", "Walt Disney Imagineering", "Disneyland, Then Now and Forever" and a few others. I have yet to read all of them, but one day I will have the time to get through them.

Disney Music: I do not have a large collection of Disney music. I mostly listen to pandora when I want to hear disney music.

MiceChat: I stumbled across Micechat probably sometime in 2008. Micechat allows me to feel connected to the park even when I can't be there. When I am missing disneyland I come to Micechat and read people's posts and trip reports and it makes me feel like I am able to enjoy a little bit about the parks. I usually don't make too many posts and mainly try to catch up on all the changes and look for any new information I can find. I am hoping to one year make the infamous Gumball Rally! I have officially put it on my Disneyland Bucket List. One day I also want to try to attend one of the sunday meet ups, unfortunately my trip this year I will not be in the parks on a sunday.

Visiting the Parks: I have gone to the parks with a wide range of people. My parents, brothers, cousins, aunts, friends, husband. Part of my favorite aspect of going to the parks is going with someone to share it with. I love going to Disneyland with someone who has never been there before. I also love going to the park with my husband, because we are able to forget about life at home and all the stress and responsibilities and just act like little kids together. We trade pins, take silly pictures, wait in line to meet a princess or Mickey, eat churros, and run around the park trying to see how many rides we can go on. It's the happiest place on earth.

Piece of history: My dad bought me and my brothers disney stock when we were little, so I now own 6 shares of disney stock, lol. I keep a disney map from every trip I take because I like to see how the parks have changed over the years and between my visits. I was able to make it to Disney's 50th anniversary and hope to make it to their 100th anniversary. I have been at the parks opening weekend for both finding nemo submarine voyage and cars land.

Favorite Disney Memory: I have so many favorite memories it's hard to pick just one. So I will list a few. When my husband proposed to me on splash mountain after watching fantasmic. Following suits around the park with my younger brother trying to be one of the lucky ones during a year of a million dreams. Actually getting a dream fast pass with my cousin and her family during their first visit to the park during the year of one million dreams. Having a sword fight in front of the castle with my younger cousin and my older cousin's husband. Getting to ride splash mountain three times in a row without getting off with my husband and my cousin. Taking the walk in walt's footsteps tour and getting our tour guide to go on splash mountain with our whole group. And so many more, but I could go on forever.

First Time to Disneyland: Probably 1961, or 1962. Every year we would go at least once when relatives were visiting from the Midwest.

How Far Away Do You Live: I grew up about 4 miles North of Disneyland, but now live about 20 miles away.

Disneyland Employment:
    I haven't worked in the parks myself, but my wife has, my mom has, two of my sisters have, three of my brothers' in law, a lot of my teachers, and a few friends. I think it is a good place to work.

Disneyland Books: Michael Broggie's book, "Walt Disney's Railroad Story" Hidden Mickey books etc.

Disney Music: Kids music & Christmas music

MiceChat: I had to look it up, Wow 5 years. I highly recommend it.

Visiting the Parks: 15 or 20 times this year. (my Annual pass says 39, but I think that they count each entry to each park) We got Premium Passes last year, and we are trying to get our moneys worth, so far so good. I don't think that we will renew this year. The price increase is part of it, but we would have probably taken a year off anyhow.

Piece of history: Back in the day, my dad had a saw shop in Anaheim. I sharpened a lot of the saw blades that they used while building Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Every week a pile of dull saw blades would come in to the shop. I think it lasted for around six months. I personally sharpened many of them. Back in those days you would actually have saws sharpened instead of just replacing them with new ones from The Home Depot.

Favorite Disney Memory: Visiting the park with my sisters and our Aunt on a rainy day. She bought us all clear umbrellas that you could see through. Gumball rally last year was also quite fun though.

Passing it along: I have three sons, 16, 14, and 12. They all enjoy the park whenever we go. My wife and I usually bring the boys to the park and visit as a family, but we pick one kid, or sometimes a parent to have their day in the park. Whoever's day it is gets to decide which way we go, and what rides we ride on first.
    They all like the fast rides, but our oldest likes them the most. Our two youngest like me, enjoy trying to figure out what is behind the scenes. They explain to me how the Red lights allow the infra red cameras to work.

• Still lost in Neverland

My First Time to Disneyland was on July 18th, 1955, the first day the Park was open to guests. I was 13 and it was my birthday, so I have always thought of Disneyland as my Birthday Gift from "Uncle" Walt. My parents, me and my younger sister went at least once, sometimes twice a year, while my Dad was on vacation. When I was older I started going out every few months and then when AP's started I was going every Sunday. I came to the first Mice Chat noon meet in 1995 and I still try to come as often as possible.

My Favorite Memories are going with my mom and dad and especially when my dad and I would go to the old Chicken Plantation for dinner. He loved to sit out on the veranda and watch the River Traffic while we ate.

Favorite Attractions are the new Star Wars at Disneyland and Radiator Springs Racers at DCA.

I am now 70 years of age and Disneyland is still my Laughing Place when I get sad or down, I come here to feel good. It works and has kept me young at heart. I really never grew up.
    Last edited by Lost Boy; 01-20-2013 at 02:27 PM.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    I am now 70 years of age and Disneyland is still my Laughing Place when I get sad or down, I come here to feel good. It works and has kept me young at heart. I really never grew up.
    Amen, Sir. I'm 52 and feel the same way. You have to grow old but you don't have to grow up.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I love the paragraph Passing it Along. As we enjoy the parks, we bring our loved ones along, and they begin to love the parks as well. It makes our experiences better, and it helps to insure that future generations will support the whole original idea of what Disneyland is all about.
    Pop Century Resort

• Minion

Great thread, Barbaraann! Thanks for sharing it.

And love the picture of Bob Weaver!

My first trip was probably around 1966....as a one year old....pictured in a stroller in front of Jungle Cruise with my grandparents who were visiting from Boston.

I grew up within 15 minutes of the park, and now reside about 30 minutes away.

Cast Member from 1983-1994: Tomorrowland Attractions (Autopia, Magic Journeys, Space Mountain, America Sings)>Main St. Attractions (Steam Trains, Main St. Vehicles, Parking Lot)>Fantasyland Attractions (all of 'em).

Favorite music: "When You Wish Upon a Star" is the one song that basically sums it up for me. I can be moved by almost any rendition of it and feel it encapsulates the spirit of Disneyland. I also have that collection of Disneyland CDs that came in a large red case; can't remember the name of it. Has the tracks of many of the vintage attractions like Flight to the Moon, etc. Hearing the soundtrack to Sings takes me back to my Tomorrowland days... as if it was almost yesterday.

Favorite attraction: Way too many to mention. Anything that tracks itself back to the 70s and earlier would be among my favorites. Since then, I do think Splash Mountain was a wonderful addition to the park and captures the spirit of classic Disney in a super way.

Book: I still have one of those Disneyland paperback books from the 70s that I love to look through on occasion. In that particular rendition, Space Mountain was still relatively new. Of the more contemporary books, Mouse Tales and its sequel, and Disneyland: Then, Now, and Forever.

Mice Chat: Glad I found the site, but can't remember how I did find it. Been hanging around for about 6 or 7 years maybe? Probably driving some people who read my posts nuts with my purist sentiments. Sorry!

Visits to the park: A lot. As a guest, probably averaged at least twice a year as a kid.

Pieces of history: Not my own personal history, but my paternal grandparents, who lived in Anaheim at the time of the park's opening and were actively involved in civic activities, attended the park's preview the day before the park opening. My grandmother recalls seeing some of the celebrities who were in attendance (she thought Dean Martin was awesome), and of course, the biggest one of all, Walt. She said he was like a kid in a candy store. Such a nice man, big smile, and very welcoming to the guests.

A lot of fond memories working there as a CM. And many great memories of spending my birthdays there practically every year as a kid. Dad wasn't a huge fan of the park (not a theme park kinda guy--though he'd go when family was visiting from out of town), but mom was. She'd take my friends and I for my birthday. And often my friends' parents would take them for their birthdays and I would go with.

More recent memories, hanging with old former CM friends at the park, sometimes just sitting on a bench and reminiscing.

And Lost Boy and Raymond....I agree. I don't think I'll ever grow up either! Maybe that's why Peter Pan is one of my favorite animated features of all time.

Disneyland will always be a very special place for me. I think I was pretty well destined to work there, and I feel very fortunate I lived close enough and had the chance to do so. I still remember the name of the CM in Casting who interviewed me. Later found out after I hired on that she was a former Disney ambassador. Interestingly her name popped up on my Facebook account one day out of nowhere, and I actually remembered her name, who she was, and got the chance to thank her personally. She was very kind in her reply.

Walt, you did good! And for those of us who had the opportunity to work there, we felt your spirit every time we walked on stage.

Thanks again, Barbaraann!! Super thread!

• Zip-a-dee-doo-dah

When I was around 2. A fun story Mum likes to tell to all my friends who know me as "the disney freak"...the first time I ever entered the park and saw all the characters I literally started shaking with excitement and vomited all over myself and they had to take me back to the hotel to change. Luckily we were staying at the disney hotel close by. I still get this feeling every time I enter, minus the vomit haha.

From Anaheim, oh, only a 13 hour plane ride then 2 hours by car.

Disneyland Books:
    My favourite has been the unauthorised disneyland encyclopaedia. It covers every store, attraction and show that has ever existed at Anaheim, even the ones that were thought of but never made a reality. I love "The Art of the Disney Princess" which I got for my birthday last year. And I'm super excited to buy "Poster Art of the Disney Parks" on our upcoming trip.

Disneyland Music:
    I love the songs from Winnie the Pooh. During our wedding ceremony in 2 weeks, my nephew is doing a reading of the lyrics of a song from pooh, "your friendship is the best present ever"

Visiting the Parks:
    Not very often due to my location down under

Piece of History:
    The first roller coaster I ever went on was Space Mountain. I took my Dad..who has heart problems on it....he did not know it was a roller coaster....it was soooo funny to see his face when we got off. He loved it.

Favorite Disney Memory:
    Every disney memory is my favourite. The times with my parents when they were still together, the times I went with Dad just by himself, my first time there with my fiance...every time I go I love it.

Recent Disneyland Memory:
    Went with my fiance's brother and his girlfriend ....his brother had never been overseas before and had always wanted to go to disneyland. We went to Tokyo disney. It was amazing to see not only the culture shock, but just how much joy disney brings people. His girlfriend was not a fan of theme parks or disney really...but after 2 days there she wanted to buy ears and claimed i had sucked her into my disney world and now she wants us to all go to america together one day.

Other Fun Facts Over The Years:
    I have collected disney stuffed toys since my first visit. I still have every toy, well over 100. I should actually count them. I have photos of me as a child in hotel rooms surrounded by like 20 toys cos my Dad supported my addiction. They are stored in a cabinet at my mums. I have some really neat ones that I'm not sure you can get anymore, like the whole family of aristocats, the main family of 101 Dalmatians (pongo, perdi, lucky, rolly, penny). all different types of mickey and minnies....my first ever plush was pluto...thus pluto is my favourite character. I also collect the Jim Shore Disney Traditions figurines.

Our next trip is for our honeymoon at the beginning of March. I am trying to find out how we can eat at Club 33, it's always been a dream of mine, it's hard for an American...even harder for an Australian to get in. Oh to be rich or famous. Another huge dream of mine is to ride on a ride with a character, like in the ads and promotional videos hahah....has anyone ever had this happen just on a whim? After our honeymoon, I won't be back to Disney for many many years, not until I have kids....some people save money from the time their child is born for a good school, not me, I'll be saving for their first WDW trip!!

Australia doesn't have a disney store...but because we will be in the USA so soon I lie in bed at night browsing on my phone the disney store website mentally noting all the things I'm going to buy then I get so excited I can't sleep.....my fiance think's I'm a big dork. I CANT WAIT TO OWN THAT BUZZ LIGHTYEAR HOODIE!!!

--Probably circa 1975, when I was a toddler.

--45 minutes door-to-door with no traffic. 2 hours in rush hour.

Disneyland Books:
    --101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    --Disneyland Detective
    --STILL kicking myself for not buying the "One Day at Disney" coffee table book years ago.

Visiting the Parks:
    --We used to go once a year, but now we have AP's and go at least once a month. Usually 2-3x/mo.

Piece of History:
    --I got evacuated off of Haunted Mansion Holiday once - that was fantastic.
    --I was in the park on spring break in the late 80s when the Skyway got stuck with people (not us) on it and so Fantasyland was closed down. We didn't know what happened until we got back to our hotel and turned on the local news!
    --Consider myself a piece of history since I remember the ticket books!

Recent Disney Memory:
    --Getting to go to Carsland Media Day in 2012. That was amazing.
    --Also won one of the "12 Days of Christmas" Twitter DCA contests for a pair of Oswald ears last month!

--Club 33/1901 Lounge
    --Visited Walt's Apartment
    --Toured the Disneyland Dream Suite
    --Rode the Lilly Belle
    --Won one of the Dream Fastpasses in the Year of A Million Dreams promotion. I still have it!
    --visited the Cast Member cemetery at Haunted Mansion
    --Rode Finding Nemo in the Observation outpost
    --Have visited every Disney park in the world except for Hong Kong!

Lots of little things too: getting the red paddle to gauge the wait time in line!
    I also remember just getting seated first once at Blue Bayou opening and the CM was so nice and made us feel so special. Lots of memories of CM's being extra kind and taking time out of their day to be magical, or funny, or create a memory.

Favorite ride:
    --Pirates of the Caribbean

Things I Have Yet To Do:
    --Take a Disney Cruise
    --Visit Hong Kong Disney
    Disneyland AP & go as often as I can! DL Paris March 2002 WDW Dec. 2007 & Jan. 2013 Tokyo DL & Sea April 2009
    To Do: DCL Alaska 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland, you're next; Shanghai Disney, see you in 2016!
    GROUNDHOG DAY: WDW and DLR in the same day: 2/2/13
    My Stay in the Disneyland Dream Suite

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Obviously Disneyland/Disney get's inside of us. Something makes us relate, and makes us happy. It can't be explained to some, and other people know exactly what we are talking about because they are on the same page.

We didn't all take the same road however. I continue to thank you all for sharing what makes up your credentials.
    Pop Century Resort

• Parking Lot > DCA

1992 - making me two years young!

Literally one block away down Harbor. Less than a 5 minute commute.

Disneyland Music:

The 5 set disk that Disney put out a few years ago is my all time favorite, but any attraction soundtrack will do!

Visiting the Parks:

Normally with a few buddies!

Recent Disney Memory:

Seeing John Stamos on Radiator Springs Racers the night he spoke at Candlelight, and yelling "IS THAT JOHN STAMOS?!"

Created a replica of the Pizza Planet truck and visited Pixar's studios in it!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

John Stamos in DCA.

I love it. MiceChatters have keen eyes, and tell great stories, and post great posts.
    Pop Century Resort

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast