Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Re: What are your Disneyland credentials?

First time in Disneyland:
    Late 60s or early 70s

How far away do you live:
    Close enough to hear the fireworks in the distance

Disneyland Books:
    Too many to list, including several signed by the authors

Disneyland Music:
    Now mostly MP3

Visiting the Parks:
    Many times a year. I've had passes, off and on, since the Summer Nights Pass came out in the early 1980s.

Piece of History:
    My mom was at the park on opening day (for the public). I did the last piece of work (a bank's approval of a ground lease extension) necessary for Disney to announce its intention to develop WestCot, which later became DCA.

Recent Disney Memory:
    Last year, at Spring Break, watching the sunset at Disneyland in California, heading to LAX for a red eye, then watching thesunrise outside the gates at the Magic Kingdom in Orlando.

Other Fun Facts Over The Years:
    I went to 8 of Disney's 11 amusement parks last year.
    Fight On! Beat the Cardinal!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The only thing we have to shame is ... shame itself!

I've been going since I was born in 1971. I lived in Los Angeles County until age 21 when I moved to Anaheim and got cast in the Parades at Disneyland. I stayed with that until 1998 and by that point, realized that I liked OC better than LA, so I stayed. Moved to the Inland Empire from 2000-2008 but am now back in the OC.

Been an annual passholder since 2002 and go very often. I collect mostly pins and figurines and have a massive amount of Disney stuff which I hope to display properly one day in my big house that's currently being rented out.

Overall I think the most magical time in the Park's history (in my lifetime) was about 1980-1990. I still love it, of course, but often long for that time period again.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Minion

First time at Disneyland:
    March 2001. Two day trip with a day each at both parks.

How Far:
    I live in northeastern Iowa and thus have to live vicariously through all the stuff people post online between trips.

Disneyland Music: Had a 90s-era album of Disneyland and WDW as a kid. Built up a good-sized library of park music thanks to certain Disney-based filesharing sites and other stuff.

Disneyland Books: Have a good sized collection of Parks/Imagineering related coffee table books. Art of Disneyland, Disneyland Then Now and Forever, the two Imagineering volumes from '96 and that one from a couple years ago that got outdated by the WDW Fantasyland Expansion plans shifting, the collector's edition of Mouse Tales and More Mouse Tales, Designing Disney, Once Upon a Time to Happily Ever After, Disneyland Through the Decades, the Pirates and Mansion books and the Disney Mountains, DIsneyland Seen Through the Photographer's Lens (acquired in Marceline at the Boyhood Home Museum) and recently, Poster Art of the Disney Parks

Visiting the Parks: Varies and I usually go with my dad. Been to Florida more often at a consistent "once every three years" thing with five Florida trips in all. After the first Disneyland trip in 2001, went again in 2010 for Spring Break and 2011 as some Boy Scout Leadership meeting in San Diego in May offered an opportunity. Set for another Spring Break trip this year, though it might end up being a single day stop on the itinerary.

Piece of History: My dad went to Disneyland in 1963 shortly after Tiki Room opened. Also went to the World's Fair during the 1964 Boy Scout Jamboree.

Least Favorite Disney Memory: Losing my wallet in 2010 somewhere between Adventureland and New Orleans Square. Dad and I ended up going to the sheriff stationed backstage on Main Street to file report and such. Kept the digital ticket printouts so I still managed to get a replacement printed. Not the ideal way to have a first "flying solo" day at Disneyland, but I wasn't interested in Dad's museum plans for his day. Running into the Wonderland crew on Main Street coming in made me feel better, as did getting into a crazy driver mode when having a Toad car by myself.

Favorite/Recent Disney memories: Solo day of my 2011 trip was pretty nice between seeing Soundsational on it's debut day, encountering Maynard for the first time at Tiki Room, briefly discussing with Aladdin how frustrating Jasmine not hanging out around Adventureland is, and a perfectly constructed in-character explanation from a cast member as to why there wasn't a chance of Star Tours soft opening that day with Imperial investigation of the station closing it down.

Other Fun Facts:
    I hold Haunted Mansion in greater esteem then Pirates partly from having constantly faced Pirates being closed for refurbishment on my first few trips for both Land and World. I only ever rode a pre-Jack Pirates ride once in 2003 in Florida. Haunted Mansion thus had more time to win me over and dammit, the setting is way more interesting then Pirates and that's why that Long-Forgotten Mansion Thread series will never die. Ever.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The reasons behind things. Why people feel the way they feel about this place that Walt built. That's why I started this thread....

First Visit: Don't remember, I was a toddler. Visited once or twice as a child, then for my senior trip in 1985. Since college have been once or twice a year on average with my family, sister, cousins, etc.

How far: I live in Northern Nevada now. Grew up in No. Calif. DL has always been a 7-8 hour drive

Visiting the parks: Sometimes with my husband and daughters. Usually with my sister and my daughters. My mom, cousins, or friends often come with or meet us there. Been doing the Gumball Rally with my family since 2008. Cracks me up to look at pictures from the first year with my daughters so young. Now they are teenagers racing with their cousins against their parents and grandparents.

Some of my favorite DL memories:

#1 - With my sister's ex, my mom and assorted cousins - we were trying to get to Toon Town (I think it was shortly after it had opened) but there was a parade going on. They opened up a tunnel between fantasyland and somewhere in ToonTown (can't remember specifics). As we were walking through the tunnel my brother-in-law starts belting out the Mickey Mouse club theme song (m-i-c-k-e-y...) so my cousins and I all joined in. By the time we were out of the tunnel everyone in the tunnel was singing along.

#2 New year's eve 2012 with my sister and my daughters. Wandered through the hub right at midnight, were dead center in the middle of mainstreet when they started counting down and playing Old Langsyne. It was foggy, the second my daughters realized we couldn't see the fireworks they turned to me and said "Space Mountain". Off we went (they had opened up a back entrance that dumped us out at the SM bathrooms. Waited in line 10 minutes for Space Mountain on New Year's Eve:-)

#3 Gumball Rally 2011 - my dad's first Gumball Rally. Our last ride of the day, Soarin Over California, he had never been on it. I was seated next to a woman who (judging from her reaction) had also never been on it. She was screaming exclamitions in spanish throughout the ride (I didn't understand a word she said but she obviously loved it). Between her and my dad (he was in awe) I left glowing of Disney Magic.

Piece of History - My MIL worked for Disney for 30 years, mostly at WED (now imagineering). She started in 1966 a couple months before Walt Disney died. She met him once before his death. Every now and then she throws me a story I hadn't heard before, most recently after I had my husband take me to the Walt Disney Family Museum for my birthday in December. I was telling her about it and saying she needed to go see it because she would probably know a lot of the people that are mentioned there. She says "did you see pictures of Ron Miller? He was so handsome. Everytime he saw me he told me I needed to quit smoking." (yes, she still smokes)

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

my disney shadow box:

just a very small part of my collection. the rest can be seen at the link in my sig.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    my disney shadow box:

just a very small part of my collection. the rest can be seen at the link in my sig.
    That is awesome.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Grim Grinning

First Trip: September 1993 at age 4

How Far: I live just outside of Sacramento, it takes 6 and a half to 7 hours depending on traffic.

Visiting: My sisters and I are annual pass holders, so we all go together as often as we can. We go at least 3 times a year 2 or 3 days at a time. I've gone as many as 7 times in a year.

Disney Books: I have a souvenir book from my first trip, a Disneyland fact and trivia book, most of the big story books, as well as the ones from my childhood that teach shapes, colors, numbers, etc.

Disney Music: I have a bunch of CD's with Disney music and rides on them.

Recent Disney Memory: I was in Disneyland from the 8th to the 11th to celebrate my birthday.

Other: I've participated in 2 Gumball Rally's and been to 3 Anniversary meets since I joined.

• Will return Soon...

Great to hear another Aussies Credentials! I just got back from a trip on a whim with my Fiancee, That Hoodie is AWESOME!!! I had to have it the second i saw it! Enjoy!

This thread is every reason why Disneyland is such a strong part of who I am and has been for so long in my life, I'm a 58 year old who has never grown up because of the Magic of Walt Disney...Thank-You

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by micvicfaust View Post
    This thread is every reason why Disneyland is such a strong part of who I am and has been for so long in my life, I'm a 58 year old who has never grown up because of the Magic of Walt Disney...Thank-You
    Welcome to MiceChat.

I don't go quite as far back as disneygrandpa or Congo Chris. Our parents took my sister and me for the first time in August of 1955, a month after Disneyland opened. Our birthdays are both in August; I was 10 and my sister was 7. We had been watching the year-long hype on TV and we were *ready*. Then my sister wasn't tall enough for the eagerly-awaited Autopia. Our parents decided if she couldn't go I couldn't either! The trauma of that cruel "justice" still rankles in my grudge-holding soul. ;o)

At that time, our family lived in San Clemente, down the road a way (there was no I-5 yet). Now I live in San Francisco and drive down twice a year, for Mini Gay Day in April and Gay Days in October, where I hang out with a delightful group of friends made at Gay Days a few years back. (During Gay Days several years ago I also had the pleasure of socializing with MiceChat staff at a cocktail party in DCA.)
    Michael
    San Francisco

My first time at Disneyland was when I was about 4 or 5 around 1995 , my grandmother used to get us tickets for Christmas every year, it was always the highlight of our year.

We stayed at the Disneyland hotel when I was about ten, I will always remember that. My parents had told us we were just going for the day, but when I looked down at the ticket it was a three day hopper. Instantly I knew what was going on, it was the best surprise ever. I will never forget freaking out in front of the turnstiles and jumping up and down over the excitement of it all!

I live about 2 hours away, but most of my family lives in Orange County so I spend my weekends there. I have had a pass for the last 5 years, which has allowed me to visit the parks more than I ever thought possible.

I love Disney music and all things Disney, there is just nothing like it.

I love going to the parks alone, although I'm usually with my family or friends. I try to go at least a couple times a month, sometimes a lot more, sometimes less.

My favorite recent memory was taking my friends daughter. She was three and the family was packing for a move, so I offered to babysit for the day. She reminded me of when I used to go to the parks as a kid. We saw more princesses and fairies than I had ever seen in one day. The look on her face with each one was pure joy and excitement.

Disneyland is definitely a place close to my heart, and my favorite place to be. The magic and beauty of it is simply amazing and beyond words. I love just strolling through the parks looking at the little details and enjoying the shows, the fireworks still make me cry!

• terrifiednerds.com

I've lived close to Disneyland most of my life. I can hear the fireworks at night. I first went there in 1962, and it was the greatest place on earth. But it has changed over the years, and most of the Disneyland I loved is no more. If I ever go back, it will probably be when virtual reality comes about and somebody creates a virtual version of a Disneyland with the Mine Train, Peoplemover, Skyway, Captain Hook Pirate Ship and Skull Rock Cove, Submarine Voyage, Carousel of Progress and Adventure Through Inner Space. That was the REAL Disneyland. I have no doubt that whatever is now left of the old Disneyland will eventually go the way of the Motorboats, Coke Corner and Carnation Plaza. For me it was a nice run, but as far as I'm concerned, the place is rapidly becoming Coney Island, and I don't want to pay all that money just to be outraged at the sight of safety railings all their other bogus changes. If they had done it all at once, there would have been be outrage. But they do it piece by piece, and nobody seems to notice...

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast