Disneyland Vacation. Alone. Need Advice?

I live in Washington State, about half an hour from Seattle. When I was born, all the way up until I was, 19 I think? I lived in California. At age 14, I lived in the Long Beach area. Closer to Disneyland. It was at that time, when I had many memories of Disneyland. My friends from High School and I went every year. I been to Disneyland before, when I lived in San Bernardino as a a child but it wasn't very much. We just couldn't afford it. Now I'm 24 years-old. All those years growing up, I maybe have an...obsession on Disneyland. And still do. That might not be the right word. But I just love that place! Every time I went there, I felt like I was a kid again. Literally. You get that feeling once You step foot in that park. Its weird really. Whenever I watch videos of Disneyland on YouTube, books on Disneyland, etc. I felt homesick. Depressed. I had enough. I plan on making my return sometime in 2014. Probably in Jan. since thats one of the best times to go. I know, its a year away, but theres nothing wrong with planning ahead! Its my first time taking a Disneyland Vacation by myself. I plan on staying there for about 4 days and enjoying the park for about 2 or 3 days on the Week days. Not weekend. Screw that. Lol I'm going to need to advice from those who has had experience going by themselves. What are some good tips? What hotels are good? as I said, I'll be there for about 4 or 5 days. Are there people that go by themselves? I really appreciate it!

• Back in Black

Re: Disneyland Vacation. Alone. Need Advice?

I don't know about the whole hotel experience, but I recently went to the park alone for the first time. It took me a while to work up to it, but I had a great time! You get to do whatever you want! I put that in italics for a reason. You go at your own pace! Go on pirates eight times in a row if you want! Eat where you want! Its brilliant. Just take your time and bend to your every whim, and you'll be fine.

If all else fails, and you don't want to do the whole thing alone, you can always post on MiceChat to see if anyone else on here will be in the parks while you're there too! We don't bite.
    -The MiceChatter formerly known as indyjn511

---That goat has dynamite!---

I want to ride all of the rides. Or most of them. Lol thats my favorite part! So I'm going to have to move it. Is any of the tours worth doing? If so, I might get a extra day for that.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

My personal hotel recommendation, if the cost checks out for you, is the Candy Cane Inn. Relaxing overall and more quiet than some of the others, free breakfast of a decent sort (cereal, fruit, pastries, juice, hot chocolate), mini-mart right next door, and a free Disneyland shuttle every half hour (not that the walk is terribly far).

• Under that tree again!

Like Elias 1955 said go at your own pace. If you want to ride everything it will be easy. Single Rider lines plus FastPass and always going at your speed can really add up. If your pace is fast, you get things done quickly, and get plenty of extra time. If your pace is slow, you get things done and don't have extra time.

I don't know what sort of hotel you want, but staying nearby such as across the street from the parks is convinient. Also a location with a continental breakfast will be really helpful.

I looked at Candy Canne Inn. I was between that or Best Western across the street from the park. Candy Cane Inn looks cheapest. I heard about the Single Rider lines. But my friend told me they were only on some of the rides. Is that true? And what about the tours? Does anyone know?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Single Rider works (I believe) for Indy and Matterhorn mostly of the 'big rides' in Disneyland. Other folks might know of others, or if Matterhorn still counts for that with the new bobsleds.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Single Rider works (I believe) for Indy and Matterhorn mostly of the 'big rides' in Disneyland. Other folks might know of others, or if Matterhorn still counts for that with the new bobsleds.
    SR works well, but depending on the day and attraction, FP can work much better. For example RSR can have a huge SR wait, Splash too can be a big wait. Just check them out and see, plus taking the time to enjoy some queues is also enjoyable.

California Screamin'
    • Height:48" (122 cm) or Taller
    • Ages:Pre-teens & Teens, Adults

Shoot forward up a steep incline and start screaming as you rip through the air on this tubular ride! While it might look like a turn-of-the-century wooden coaster, this state-of-the-art steel superstructure is ready to rock you on Paradise Pier.Goofy's Sky School
    • Height:42" (107 cm) or Taller
    • Ages:Kids, Pre-teens & Teens, Adults

The wild blue yonder will get a little wilder thanks to Goofy's Sky School. This coaster-style ride is frantic fun, and with Goofy as your flight instructor, you know that you're in for a wild ride!Grizzly River Run
    • Height:42" (107 cm) or Taller

Take a ride on the wild side with Grizzly River Run — a white-water rafting adventure along the rapids of the Grizzly River and up the mountain ominously known as Grizzly Peak. Your journey culminates with a thrilling plunge down a runaway river.Indiana Jones Adventure
    • Height:46" (117 cm) or Taller

Board a rugged troop transport deep inside an overgrown ancient temple for an unbelievable adventure filled with supernatural forces, screaming mummies, giant snakes and the heroics of famed archeologist Indiana Jones!Radiator Springs Racers
    • Height:40" (102 cm) or Taller

Kick the fun into overdrive as you rocket through the desert landscape in a thrilling auto racing competition and visit memorable locations from the DisneyPixar movie Cars. This massive new attraction is one the biggest rides ever at the Disneyland Resort!
    Soarin' Over California

Soar like an eagle on an exhilarating yet gentle simulated hang glider flight over natural and manmade wonders from the State of California — including the Golden Gate Bridge, Yosemite, Palm Springs, Malibu and Disneyland Park.
    Splash Mountain

Splash down into a musical adventure filled with delightful critters and down-home backwoods charm. Inspired by Song of the South, Splash Mountain is a water flume voyage that culminates in a thrilling approximately 5-story plunge into the dreaded briar patch.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderWolf2010 View Post
    I looked at Candy Canne Inn. I was between that or Best Western across the street from the park. Candy Cane Inn looks cheapest. And what about the tours? Does anyone know?

My favorite three are the Best Western Park Place Inn, Park Vue Inn and Candy Cane. If the CCI is cheapest, take it. If you need cheaper try the Ramada Maingate.

I haven't done a tour in a while now. There have been some updates since. You may want to do A Walk in Walt's Footsteps, which is a lot about Walt and his history with the park. There is also a new botany tour, Cultivating the Magic, and I imagine it's very interesting.

• Rrrrreecite!

I'm actually going on my first solo trip ever to DLR in Feb. and I can't wait! (Haven't been since 'One More Disney' day) I can't wait to do what I want to do when I want to. I want to sit on BVS and sip my coffee, watch Red Car News Boys & Five and Dime without that "friend" who says "this is boring" or "we could be in line for Soarin' right now". My friends love Disney but its often a marathon to get through every attraction until its time for spot-staking for Fireworks or Fantasmic!.

So some advice (well what I gave myself) make a loose plan. What restaurant have I never visited? What experience have I missed at the parks all these years? (never been on the Sailing Ship Columbia; check, on the list). What details have I never stopped to admire? Anyway you get the Idea. I'm also thinking of doing the "Walk in Walts Footsteps" tour. Anyone here recommend?

Hotels: I think the HOJO is fine, been many times. Affordable and close. I usual stay at Marriott properties since I have a discount. This time I'll be at the Anaheim Marriott/Conv. Center. There is also the Fairfield Inn on Harbor, nice place too.

Anyway, have the best time when you go, from one PNW resident to another

I love going alone. I have friends I go with frequently, but about once a year, I plan a solo trip.
    Hotels - I usually stay at Hotel Menage or the Anabella. I think next time, I will try Candy Cane. There's nothing terribly wrong with either one, but the biggest problem I have with Menage is that you really do go uphill both ways to get to the park (but there is a Starbucks conveniently across the street) and with good planning, I can stay for about $80/night. The Anabella is a much shorter walk and for a single, I can usually stay for about $100-120 a night. I like the stay 3 night, fourth night is free/50% promo and a lot of hotels in the area do something similar.
    Tours - I've done the holiday tours and think they are a blast! So much fun. I think the walk in Walt's footsteps is the one I will do this year.
    I have my own little traditions. I always make dinner reservations for Blue Bayou. Last time I also did Carthay Circle Theater and it was superb! Take a look at the show schedules when it gets closer. I'm not big on fireworks, bit I love the world of color show and will make dinner reservations for the preferred seating with dinner.

• formerly very helpful

Going alone can be a BLAST! You can be as selfish as you want, and it's okay. Go on what you want, when you want, or not. You are the king in the Magic Kingdom.

Seriously, I've never had less than a marvelous time on my own there.

Single rider lines are great. Even if the SR lines are long, such as RSR or Splash Mountain, it will be a shorter line than the regular one.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I love going alone. The only drawback is the airplane trip from Chicago to Santa Ana. That's my least favorite part of the trip. However. I just try and keep myself busy on the plane, because I know once I get there, I am totally in charge.

I did a solo week-long trip to Disneyland Oct 2009. It was a great trip and I had a fantastic time. As others have said, you get to decide the pace of your trip. You stop for food when you are hungry and choose which rides you want to do next. If something catches your eye, you stop, no problem. The single rider lines are great! The one at Soar'n is about the best. The one at Indy takes you up the elevators along with the wheelchairs etc. It's good if you've done the ride lots before and are OK missing all of the theming in the line itself. Going alone also means if you want to catch a parade or fireworks show, you only need space for one person! I didn't line up hours beforehand cause I was easily able to find a small space next to a group closer to the start of the show. My big piece of advice is to enjoy visiting with other guests. It's easy to strike up a conversation with the guy next to you in line and it helps to pass the time. Have fun!

• Bring back the Keelboats!

You never said (and I am not asking...) if you were male or female, or if money was an issue (again, NOT asking...), but that can determine what you might want to do or where to stay.

When I was your age, it was 30 years ago and a different world. I, too, did Disneyland as my vacation and would fly down alone, grab a bus at the airport, get off at the Disneyland Hotel, and walk down the street to wherever I was staying. I never felt any qualms about being off-property. I always felt 'safe' at Disney.

Now, however, I wouldn't want my granddaughter, if she were old enough, to travel alone off-property like I used to. If she were staying at one of the hotels on site, I would be more relaxed about it.

If you are a guy, well, you have it easier!

I, personally, would love to do Walk in Walts Footsteps tour. Even a glimpse of his apartment would do it for me!

Other posters have mentioned single-rider on Matterhorn, Indy, (which I have done since my hubby's back won't allow him to ride either), and Carsland Racers (if you stay at one of the property Hotels, be sure to go in Early Admission. Totally worth it to ride the Racers about 3 times before general admissions come in...) and Screamin'.

You said you were going during the week, not weekend, so I can't recommend going to the Hub on Sunday at noon to meet the MiceChat people. I try to do that everytime I can. Always a nice group!

Have a great time and don't worry too much about schedules. Going alone,you can do what you want whenever you want to (eat anything any time, too!)

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!