Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 45 of 45
  1. #31

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: Replace Captain Eo with Alien Encounter?

    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I'm sure this is the same type of reasoning that Disney had when they put rocket ships on Main Street and a modern toy spaceman in Tomorrowland. The problem with this path is that one attraction leads to another getting a pass, and then another until we are left with the muddled version of Tomorrowland that we have now.
    Just because it has a loose resemblance of the Tomorrowland theme due to taking place in the future is not reason enough to shoehorn it in. The future portrayed in Wall E is not the original vision of Tomorrowland.
    I stopped reading once I read that you think the rockets are on Main st.....

  2. #32

    • I'm Theme Park Happy!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,566

    Re: Replace Captain Eo with Alien Encounter?

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I stopped reading once I read that you think the rockets are on Main st.....
    no u didnt
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com



  3. #33

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Replace Captain Eo with Alien Encounter?

    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Just because it has a loose resemblance of the Tomorrowland theme due to taking place in the future is not reason enough to shoehorn it in. The future portrayed in Wall E is not the original vision of Tomorrowland.
    This.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  4. #34

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: Replace Captain Eo with Alien Encounter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    This.
    I didn't say it was. One attraction showing a possibility doesn't alter the theme. As I said before...

  5. #35

    •   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,101

    Re: Replace Captain Eo with Alien Encounter?

    MODERATOR NOTE:

    The discussion of the purpose and theme of Tomorrowland is a valid one indeed, given historical precedent and recent additions: however, the stated purpose of this thread was about a specific attraction (Alien Encounter, and by extension, the Stitch-based changes to such) coming to Disneyland and whether or not that might be a good fit.

    This topic is starting to veer off course a bit into a back-and-forth personal debate over what is right for Tomorrowland as a whole, and merely a friendly request to keep things on the initial subject more or less before we reach the unfortunate point of arguments breaking out about 'who is more right' about the purpose of a larger area than was intended by the original query put forth by TiggerHappy. Thank you all for your understanding and discussion so far!
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

  6. #36

    • ~
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    557

    Re: Replace Captain Eo with Alien Encounter?

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Well, you completely missed the point of my post. I was saying that with Nemo and Buzz stretching the theme, this would be an opportunity to actually have a Pixar film that completely fits. I'm not saying that have to put them all in, but since they seem to want to, here's one that works along the land's theme completely.
    For the sake of clarification, I completely understood your argument that Wall-E is a better fit compared to the other Pixar-based attractions-- and, furthermore, I agree that it fits better than Nemo and Buzz. What I didn't agree with was your argument that it being the only Pixar film that would fit into a current land is some sort of added bonus that should sway the decision or be taken into consideration. I don't think the property something is based upon can give an attraction any special justification. It wasn't the basis of your argument that I disagreed with, it that little side note. The mere fact that it's based on a property doesn't benefit or enhance the land in any way-- in fact, I would say that it works against it since balance of original attractions versus franchise-based attractions has been thrown way off, in favor of the franchise-based attraction, and this balance needs to be restored. In my opinion, the arguments that carry real weight in these matters are those pertaining to theme and story. I think these arguments are the basis of considering whether any potential attraction would compliment the theme of its respective land-- whether we're discussing a Wall-E based attraction or ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter. For example, a Wall-E based attraction isn't automatically suited for Tomorrowland than Alien Encounter because it's based on a Disney-Pixar property, and likewise, Alien Encounter isn't automatically a better fit because it's an original attraction. In my eyes, story, theme, design, characters, balance, etc. are really the important aspects when discussing any potential future attraction-- whether it be Wall-E, Alien Encounter, or something completely different.
    Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 01-17-2013 at 06:42 PM.

  7. #37

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    JSC
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Replace Captain Eo with Alien Encounter?

    I never experienced Alien Encounter, so part of me is game for the idea of it being in Disneyland. At the same time, I'd also like to see Mission: Space in Disneyland, if that was at all possible (there are arguments claiming that it both is and isn't). I'm not really interested in any Stitch or Wall-E overlays; they're not necessary. But I do think Pizza Port needs to be an attraction again, not another restaurant (even though I have eaten there, and the food wasn't half bad, actually).

    But anyway, Alien Encounter? Yeah, I'm game for it coming to Disneyland, at least for a few years.

  8. #38

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,465

    Re: Replace Captain Eo with Alien Encounter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    As much as I liked Alien Encounter, it was something that worked better at WDW. Because it mostly takes place in the dark and doesn't have a high level of detail, it just isn't repeatable enough for the SoCal audience.
    This is a great point. I never experienced Alien Encounter, but Stitch was definitely an attraction you could do once in a long, long while and be fine. It's cool, but there's something about it that doesn't make me want to go back again and again.

  9. #39

    • film975
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    1,343

    Re: Replace Captain Eo with Alien Encounter?

    Stitch's Great Escape is a pretty unique experience. I think what leaves people confused about it the most is when does the story take place. Either before or after the events of Lilo and Stitch. That point isn't made very clearly. It would've made more sense for it to take place at the beginning of the movie. And guests were assigned to guard him like they do in the show currently.

    I just love how life-like the Stitch animatronic moves in the capture container are. I also love how the laser cannons move in that show as well. I think the Imagineers have an opportunity to do something totally unique here with a Captain EO replacement. Not just another cloned attraction or movie tie-in. But the odds of something like that happening are very slim these days.

  10. #40

    • The Sea Monster Fangirl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California (20 minutes away from the happiest place on Earth)
    Posts
    43

    Re: Replace Captain Eo with Alien Encounter?

    SO... ALIEN ENCOUNTER...

    After thinking on it, I do believe the Captain Eo theatre is big enough for it. There's a lot of seating space in there so it would be easy to rearrange them towards the center and make the teleportation tube a little bigger. Since overlays are a thing at Disneyland, I think it would be a great idea to change up the alien every few years or so just to keep it interesting. (Also keeps the Imagineers on their toes in terms of creating a new alien to terrorize Guests. )

    In addition, Alien Encounter would tie in fabulously with Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy right next door every Halloween season!



  11. #41

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    19

    Re: Replace Captain Eo with Alien Encounter?

    Alien Encounter was an awesome ride but it is clearly one heart palpitation away from a lawsuit. Being restrained while tortured just isn't everyone's bag - geez, imagine if they had drops of water, then they would have to call it Gitmo Adventures! Yeah, I don't see AE happening in DL or CA. But I do like the idea of rides having more variability, even being able to change dynamically to meet demand of different audiences throughout the day.

  12. #42

    • 2 shots on the rocks.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ZZYZX Road
    Posts
    821

    Re: Replace Captain Eo with Alien Encounter?

    Please put EO to rest. We went on the atrraction NYE morning, only because we haven't seen this thing since it had been re-installed and there was absolutely no wait. It was completely outdated and corny, almost borderline embarrasing. The constant shaking of the theater for no particular reason other than to show the audience that the theater shakes was real annoying.


  13. #43

    • 2 shots on the rocks.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ZZYZX Road
    Posts
    821

    Re: Replace Captain Eo with Alien Encounter?

    And no Wall-E please. A future where everyone is fat and sucks on sippy cups is not very appealing.


  14. #44

    • Heavy Breather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    A Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    826

    Re: Replace Captain Eo with Alien Encounter?

    I believe the reason that AE was canned in favor of Stitch were the parents. Specifically the mothers that can't even get through Wizard of Oz without covering their eyes. They bring their kids to WDW, a magical place filled with wonder and excitement.

    They see an attraction in the middle of Tomorrowland. "Alien Encounter? Oh this is Disney it'll probably be a cute little Alien like ET. By the way where is that ride? I've been looking all over for it."

    They experience the attraction and nearly have a heart attack. As a poster above said he thought it was pretty tame. Another point I want to bring up is that they had warning signs right in front of the attraction; but did parents listen? NOPE! Now thanks to new parents inability to read we have the smelly snore feat known as Stitchs Great Escape. I applaud Disney for trying to do something different. They wanted to make an attraction that would bring the teen demographic back to Disney.

    So, Disney doesn't always have to listen to parents, especially the mommy bloggers. So the moral of today's story kids is that "If you listen to the mom demographic, you end up with a blue alien burping in your face".

    It has been written, so let it be heard.
    LordVader.


    What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

    Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/









  15. #45

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    132

    Re: Replace Captain Eo with Alien Encounter?

    I think Alien Encounter would be a cool addition to Tomorrowland, although I understand why many would think it is too scary. Maybe there could be a way to have a tamer version when it is not Halloween season? Kind of like Space Mountain and Ghost Galaxy.

    However, no way do I want it to replace Captain EO! I love love love that attraction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Alien Encounter: in theme with Future World or Tomorrowland?
    By Timekeeper in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-06-2009, 05:26 PM
  2. Bring Back Alien Encounter!
    By beamer06 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 09-29-2006, 10:41 AM
  3. Pictures of the Alien that use to be in Alien Encounter?
    By A Disney Dreamer in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-07-2006, 12:22 PM
  4. Anyone REALLY miss Alien Encounter
    By meanderingmouse in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 06:32 PM
  5. Alien Encounter at DL?
    By CastMember 02 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 10-31-2005, 02:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •