Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

• Banned User

Re: The Bridge at DCA (Hyperion) has been painted according to Touring Plans...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    My bet is that the "reason" is the same one Disney used in recent years to crank up the chroma on Main Street to Mall levels, saturate the castle colors to resemble Barbie Princess toy packaging, stock the shops of Main Street, Buena Vista Street and Frontierland with the same gaudy, generic character crap they sell at WalMart, and crank up the background music throughout the park. The goal is to create an environment of brightness and loudness that supports Disney's corporate vision of the DLR as a brand marketing mall aimed at grabbing the youth and kid demographics. To the Disney Marketeers, beige is blah and history is for geezers: you gotta keep it as bright and loud as a cartoon if you want to keep 'em spending.
    Exactly. It's the Mall-ification of Disneyland. And that sucks.

• Restless Adventurer

One word, "YUCK!"

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I personally liked the old color better because it nicely complemented the Carthay Circle in the background.
    This is how I feel about it as well. It somehow looked classier that way and it wasn't a main focal point.

• Johnny and Me!

...and now it is being painted back. Pic from mintcrocodile:

Magic Eye

Yeaaahhhh!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Just because something is no longer in theme doesn't mean it breaks theme. Do modern trash cans break theme? Do registers or huge speakers blasting music break it? No of course not. Not everything has to strictly hold to theme and period accuracy. It would be nice if it did but thats not the case for everything. But that doesn't mean it has to affect the rest of the theming.

So what if its no longer a bridge inspired by the real thing? It still looks pretty good with its surroundings. I really don't think this historical inaccuracy detracts from the big picture of BVS.
    But on Main Street, and elsewhere in the park, they often try to hide "modern" things such as speaker and cash registers. Many of the speakers are hidden behind windows on Main Street, and a lot of the cash registers have wooden partitions built around them to at least partially hide them.

The new paint job for the bridge was pretty hideous, in my opinion, and detracted from the theme of BVS as it obviously was the modern paint job with texturing such as you see in strip malls and Taco Bells.

Last time I checked, Disney goes to small pains to make the trash cans land appropriate (as much as possible):

Name:  020.JPG
Views: 399
Size:  34.2 KB

Name:  042.JPG
Views: 399
Size:  38.0 KB

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    ...and now it is being painted back. Pic from mintcrocodile:

Magic Eye
    Looks like they are playing with doing it white like it was, or biege, or maybe a combination. I'd much prefer either to blotchy red.

• Banned User

I admitted in my 1st post in this thread that the original was better. But to say that the new one takes away from BVS or that it "breaks theme" is what I disagree with. It has become neutral, rather than positive or negative. Its neither a point lost or gained for the cohesiveness of theme, at least imo.
    I think a lot of folks recognized the paint job as something purely modern as they didn't paint that way back in the 1920's as far as I know, everything was mostly in pure colors, not this textured/blotchy paint job you see applied with sponges to strip malls and fast food joints.

I wonder if they are adding this reddish color in order to give the white paint a tinted color.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I think a lot of folks recognized the paint job as something purely modern as they didn't paint that way back in the 1920's as far as I know, everything was mostly in pure colors, not this textured/blotchy paint job you see applied with sponges to strip malls and fast food joints.
    Are you sure they didn't have terra cotta paint in the 20s?

That blotchy color is stucco, not paint.
    Last edited by Disneytwins; 02-10-2013 at 08:14 AM.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

I sincerely hope they realized they'd made a mistake.

Just saw this on Twitter...

Twitter / TouringPlans: Looks like Hyperion Bridge ...

It's back to white (yay)!

Quote Originally Posted by jbean View Post
    Just saw this on Twitter...

Twitter / TouringPlans: Looks like Hyperion Bridge ...

It's back to white (yay)!
    Wow looks nice. Must have been just a primer coat all along to add the slight contrast to the different angles and lines. In hindsight the cynicism in this thread is quite comedic.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Parmageddon Jim

Wow looks nice. Must have been just a primer coat all along to add the slight contrast to the different angles and lines. In hindsight the cynicism in this thread is quite comedic.

Because there's no facepalm smiley.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910