Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: The Bridge at DCA (Hyperion) has been painted according to Touring Plans...

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Doesn't look like classic LA circa 1937. Looks like Irvine circa 1995.

More importantly, it doesn't look like the ACTUAL Glendale-Hyperion Street Bridge, upon which it is based.

Screws up the theming. Somebody really blew it.
    Just because something is no longer in theme doesn't mean it breaks theme. Do modern trash cans break theme? Do registers or huge speakers blasting music break it? No of course not. Not everything has to strictly hold to theme and period accuracy. It would be nice if it did but thats not the case for everything. But that doesn't mean it has to affect the rest of the theming.

So what if its no longer a bridge inspired by the real thing? It still looks pretty good with its surroundings. I really don't think this historical inaccuracy detracts from the big picture of BVS.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

I actually think the bridge looks ok. Before, it kinda blended in with the Carthay and quite honestly, always felt a little plain/bland.

• Back in Black

Just because something is no longer in theme doesn't mean it breaks theme.
    Wait... What? I thought breaking theme meant it was no longer in theme... Hrrrmmmm...

Anyway, Of course things like modern speakers and trash cans don't fit the theme, but they aren't a piece thats meant to hold that theme. The bridge, which was part of the designs for an area themed to 30's-era Los Angeles is a piece thats meant to hold the theme.
    -The MiceChatter formerly known as indyjn511

---That goat has dynamite!---

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jafar00 View Post
    Yeah, it looked better before.

• I'm a fiddle player......

Maybe the new color is to pay homage to the Golden Gate bridge?

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Doesn't look like classic LA circa 1937. Looks like Irvine circa 1995.
    Absolutely. One step closer to looking and feeling like any random modern day shopping center.

Quote Originally Posted by Elias1955 View Post
    Wait... What? I thought breaking theme meant it was no longer in theme... Hrrrmmmm....
    Yes if something breaks theme it is No longer in theme. But not all things not in theme break the Overall theme. I Consider "breaking theme" when lack of theme significantly detracts from the overall theme around it. The new paint is not accurate and not in theme. But the fact that the new colors are No longer in theme doesn't detract or "break" BVS... Wow so many themes lol.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    But the fact that the new colors are No longer in theme doesn't detract or "break" BVS... Wow so many themes lol.
    When the bridge no longer looks like the bridge its supposed to... what do you call that?

Maybe there was left over paint from TL '98
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Who is to say that they couldn't make a bridge look like that back then? Just because I bridge didn't exist like that back then doesn't mean that it couldn't have happened.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Who is to say that they couldn't make a bridge look like that back then? Just because I bridge didn't exist like that back then doesn't mean that it couldn't have happened.
    Lincoln COULD have shaved his face... and COULD have dressed differently... he could have EATEN differently too and gotten fat.

Does that mean we should be ok if they changed out Great Momments with Mr Lincoln to a shaved fat guy?

The bridge isn't intended to be a generic period bridge - but inspired by a SPECIFIC one..

Am I evil? yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    When the bridge no longer looks like the bridge its supposed to... what do you call that?

Maybe there was left over paint from TL '98
    I call it a bridge. May not be a recreation of the original bridge or representative of theme but still a bridge that compliments the area. Maybe not as much on a thematic or historical level but I don't see how it significantly impacts its surroundings. It doesn't take me out of BVS or "break" the theme of BVS hence, why i wrote what I wrote in the first place.

You may call it declining by degrees but until I see a net loss in atmosphere, I just dont see it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Lincoln COULD have shaved his face... and COULD have dressed differently... he could have EATEN differently too and gotten fat.

Does that mean we should be ok if they changed out Great Momments with Mr Lincoln to a shaved fat guy?

The bridge isn't intended to be a generic period bridge - but inspired by a SPECIFIC one..
    But Lincoln actually existed. We're talking about a bridge that was inspired off another one.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I thank god I don't work for Disney.....they can never..ever ever do anything right ever and I mean ever...half the fans will always say your doing it wrong

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    But Lincoln actually existed. We're talking about a bridge that was inspired off another one.
    And the bridge existed too.. so I don't see your point.

Maybe Disney should replace the top of the Effiel Tower in EPCOT with mickey ears.. since it's not a 100% reproduction to start with.. who cares. It's still a tower right?

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    You may call it declining by degrees but until I see a net loss in atmosphere, I just dont see it that way.
    Effective place making comes from the details that support and build the intended place/experience. The subconcious is won by the the elements that together convince you without distracting you. The point of the bridge looking as it did was not to fit 'a 1920s bridge' - but to fit a specific bridge.. one with ties back to both the trolly line and Disney studios heritage itself. It's choice was not random.

You might as well put in the brooklyn bridge with your train of thought... 'its still a bridge'

Am I evil? yes, I am

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast