Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Back in Black

Re: The Bridge at DCA (Hyperion) has been painted according to Touring Plans...

Effective place making comes from the details that support and build the intended place/experience. The subconcious is won by the the elements that together convince you without distracting you. The point of the bridge looking as it did was not to fit 'a 1920s bridge' - but to fit a specific bridge.. one with ties back to both the trolly line and Disney studios heritage itself. It's choice was not random.

You might as well put in the brooklyn bridge with your train of thought... 'its still a bridge'
    ^This.

The bridges of LA are a big part of what adds the "magic" or the "mystique" to the city, and by association, what Buena Vista Street is about. How many recognizable bridges are there? The 6th Street Bridge? The Hyperion Bridge? The Colorado Street Bridge? 4th Street? These are big, majestic pieces of art and influence to the city as a whole. They inspired songs (Under the Bridge by the Chili Peppers being a notable example), they're picked as movie sets (Drive, The Dark Knight Rises, Terminator 2) because of the unique, and all around cool feel they're able to add to a given scene.

They're a part of the history, just as much as Lincoln's looks.
    -The MiceChatter formerly known as indyjn511

---That goat has dynamite!---

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

They should have named this street HYPERION not BUENA VISTA, since the real Buena Vista Street in Burbank never had this vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Effective place making comes from the details that support and build the intended place/experience. The subconcious is won by the the elements that together convince you without distracting you. The point of the bridge looking as it did was not to fit 'a 1920s bridge' - but to fit a specific bridge.. one with ties back to both the trolly line and Disney studios heritage itself. It's choice was not random.

You might as well put in the brooklyn bridge with your train of thought... 'its still a bridge'
    The brooklyn bridge would detract from the overall theme because it is not thematically neutral but would negatively impact the land.

The former white bridge colors were a part of the overall theme. Now it is neutral in that it neither adds nor subtracts from its surroundings. The Brooklyn bridge would subtract. The analogy just doesn't work.

I admitted in my 1st post in this thread that the original was better. But to say that the new one takes away from BVS or that it "breaks theme" is what I disagree with. It has become neutral, rather than positive or negative. Its neither a point lost or gained for the cohesiveness of theme, at least imo.

And for the record, I have no train of thought when it comes to theme. I judge aspects on a case by case basis. That is why I think DCA's Starbucks, a castle in front of main street, a nanny owned bakery, and a brick red bridge all work wonderfully even if they don't appear to work on paper. How things feel and look is a lot more important than strict accuracy. That is why i'm somewhat indifferent toward the new colors.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Minion

Since the real Hyperion Bridge doesn't look much like the bridge on Buena Vista Street, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. If they built an actual recreation of the Hyperion Bridge, it would be an ugly grey monstrosity. This monorail bridge never was an exact copy, and 99.95% of the theme park visitors who walk underneath it don't know it was "inspired by" a real freeway bridge near Glendale, California. Name:  2694827112_15d603f8ab.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  156.0 KB
    Last edited by Westsider; 01-18-2013 at 12:40 PM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Since the real Hyperion Bridge doesn't look much like the bridge on Buena Vista Street, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Name:  2694827112_15d603f8ab.jpg
    That's because you are only looking at one part of the bridge.. not the entire thing.

Here is a distant view.. look at the right side.. and the part out of frame too

Here's the part out of frame (from the other side) - see the bridge portion on right now..

And here are some close-up views..

Last edited by flynnibus; 01-18-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    The brooklyn bridge would detract from the overall theme because it is not thematically neutral but would negatively impact the land.

The former white bridge colors were a part of the overall theme. Now it is neutral in that it neither adds nor subtracts from its surroundings. The Brooklyn bridge would subtract. The analogy just doesn't work.

I admitted in my 1st post in this thread that the original was better. But to say that the new one takes away from BVS or that it "breaks theme" is what I disagree with. It has become neutral, rather than positive or negative. Its neither a point lost or gained for the cohesiveness of theme, at least imo.
    It breaks what the bridge was.. and as you say now it's regressed to just some neutral bridge. that's what people are saying about 'breaking..' something. It's a regression more than a conflict with the land.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

It's a very long bridge with several different styles and sections; technically it's not even a bridge but a viaduct. Here's the shot where the real bridge bears the most resemblance to the theme park version. Name:  2699512099_822f4d8bbb.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  82.3 KB If you can ignore all the glamorous streetlife going on beneath the real 1930's version, that section looks most like the DCA version. Except with different railings and an entirely different scale to the towers, and no decorative light fixtures mid-span like the DCA version. And it was a dull cement grey color, which they would need to paint the DCA version in to better match the actual bridge. I think doing a two-tone treatment on the DCA version and breaking up the beige monotony of the DCA entry area was a good move. It's certainly better looking than an exact copy of the original inspiration bridge would have been.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Since the real Hyperion Bridge doesn't look much like the bridge on Buena Vista Street, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. If they built an actual recreation of the Hyperion Bridge, it would be an ugly grey monstrosity. This monorail bridge never was an exact copy, and 99.95% of the theme park visitors who walk underneath it don't know it was "inspired by" a real freeway bridge near Glendale, California. Name:  2694827112_15d603f8ab.jpg
    Most, if not all of LA's historic bridges did not have color but were an "Ugly Grey".
    Bridgehunter.com | Los Angeles County, California
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• -

Great... so now we just have a prettier colored freeway overpass.

Lincoln COULD have shaved his face... and COULD have dressed differently... he could have EATEN differently too and gotten fat.
    And he could have hunted vampires.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

maybe their someone should make a poll and see then we can see the results if people like it or not just a suggestion.

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

It breaks what the bridge was.. and as you say now it's regressed to just some neutral bridge. that's what people are saying about 'breaking..' something. It's a regression more than a conflict with the land.
    I agree it "breaks" what the bridge was. That is why I liked it before. But it still looks nice the way it is now and looks nice in context with the rest of the land so personally, I am a bit indifferent. When I think of something that breaks theme I think of something that is in conflict with its land. That is why I think those claims in this thread are a bit exaggerated.

But I more or less agree with you that the bridge on its own was better before. I just don't think BVS is any worse off now though.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Banned User

I cannot believe people are actually having an argument over this. I wonder if Imagineers come on here and laugh at some of the minute stuff that ruffles fan's feathers. From a design aspect, it certainly looks better and sometimes that's all the justification you need. There is no realism in Disney Parks.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I cannot believe people are actually having an argument over this. I wonder if Imagineers come on here and laugh at some of the minute stuff that ruffles fan's feathers. From a design aspect, it certainly looks better and sometimes that's all the justification you need. There is no realism in Disney Parks.
    This is what I said before....why even try any more Disney half your fans will always hate what you do anyway...they painted a NEW bridge that was added under a year ago...and it gets so much hate

• -

There is no realism in Disney Parks.
    Tell that to the designers of the railroad, or New Orleans Square, or even Liberty Square.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Did you stop to think that this re-painting might not be the idea of the Imagineers? That it might have come down from somewhere else? The Imagineers originally designed the bridge as was seen before with no paint job. Just like the Imagineers had no idea that Merch was messing up their BVS store windows. Keep in mind, once an Imagineering job is done it is signed off to Operations which is a Disneyland entity.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast