Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

• -

Re: The Bridge at DCA (Hyperion) has been painted according to Touring Plans...

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    let's paint the Matterhorn purple
    Only if we can paint eyes and a mouth on it, too. Then we could call it Grimace. Of course, they would probably try to sell those fries again, though.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I like the paint scheme on the bridge, adds some warmth and an inviting feel.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Only if we can paint eyes and a mouth on it, too. Then we could call it Grimace. Of course, they would probably try to sell those fries again, though.
    Dont give Disney any ideas.....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

I am so used to driving through L.A., specifically right under the actual Hyperion Bridge when getting to the Hollywood area. I have always seen the bridge white/beige and in vintage photos the bridge has always been white/beige/or even concrete grey in some areas. Now that the bridge is painted this way with the bright stand-out colors, it really isn't the Glendale-Hyperion Bridge anymore. It's now become the Buena Vista Bridge. It's like painting the Eiffel Tower light grey. It looks like the Eiffel Tower and it is called the Eiffel Tower, but it just isn't the Eiffel Tower anymore. The Hyperion Bridge just isn't the Hyperion Bridge anymore.

Also take a look at 1930's Art Deco bridges. The underlying colors was always either concrete grey, beige, or white with maybe a few colors splashed in for effect. Here, the underlying color is this brick red. Yes, beige is there, but it just isn't the prominent color anymore. Brick red stands out more than beige, and thus leaves a bigger impact even if the paint is set at a 50% ratio to the beige color.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Banned User

Technically, the design style of this bridge isn't Art Deco, nor is it Art Moderne. It's much closer to Spanish Colonial Revival or Mission Revival, which were VERY popular in the late 20s, 30s, and 40s in Southern California.

The newer color pattern they're adding now is more a product of the neoeclectic styles that have been popular in new housing and shopping center designs in Southern California since the 1990s; it evidences an influence of the Ponce Creole and Mar del Plata styles, rather than being a pure interpretation of the Spanish Colonial Revival or Mission Revival styles that were so popular in the time period that Buena Vista Street supposedly represents.

The color change on the Hyperion Bridge is bad enough, but the painting of the Carthay Circle building is especially offensive, given that the original building was such a well-known landmark in Los Angeles for so many decades, and its coloring did NOT involve any muted pinkish beige, but was rather a shimmering off-white that glistened in the California sun. I don't know who made the decision to change the color, but it is WRONG, it is UNNECESSARY, and it is OFFENSIVE.

They need to change it back.

I have friends that live in the Glendale/Silverlake area. When I would drive across the Hyperion bridge I would always think how cool it is that Walt himself must have crossed this bridge many times in his early days in Los Angeles. So if Buena Vista Street was to be a tribute and idealization to Walt's early days in Los Angeles, why change one of the few actual tangible elements that link to his past? The Carthay and the Hyperion bridge are really the only tangible landmarks on BVS. I don't mind the way the bridge looks now, it actually looks nice to be honest. But I liked the way the bridge looked before and it's actual connection to the man with a suitcase and a dream!

• Banned User

Let's not forget that the Carthay was a theatre, not a restaurant and no one seems to mind that. This is NOT a big deal.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Tell that to the designers of the railroad, or New Orleans Square, or even Liberty Square.
    Those may be functional, but they're not based in realism. The second you have a 4 foot tall mouse walk down the street and music playing for guests, it's not realism, no matter how accurate it looks.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Did you stop to think that this re-painting might not be the idea of the Imagineers? That it might have come down from somewhere else? The Imagineers originally designed the bridge as was seen before with no paint job. Just like the Imagineers had no idea that Merch was messing up their BVS store windows. Keep in mind, once an Imagineering job is done it is signed off to Operations which is a Disneyland entity.
    I don't care either way. It doesn't change my position.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Let's not forget that the Carthay was a theatre, not a restaurant and no one seems to mind that. This is NOT a big deal.
    I think most of the arguments are less about the use and function of the landmarks, but more about how they look and resemble them. The old bridge had more of a connection to Walt's story as the Imagineers would proudly boast during the construction and planning stages of BVS. Now it has more of a connection to all the mini-malls we drive past on our way to Disneyland.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandDragon View Post
    I don't mind the way the bridge looks now, it actually looks nice to be honest. But I liked the way the bridge looked before and it's actual connection to the man with a suitcase and a dream!
    EXACTLY. If it was just a simple bridge, it'd be fine. But it isn't "just a bridge." It's part of the entire theme of that section of DCA, which is supposed to honor the LA in which Walt became a success. Changing the color pattern might seem a relatively insignificant, small thing, but it isn't. Changing the color pattern changes the character, and changing the character breaks the theme. It ceases to be Los Angeles of the 1930s, and instead becomes just another generic California building. What's the point of THAT?

• Banned User

Actually I WOULD prefer that the Carthay be purposed as a theater, a movie theater specifically. But, it hasn't been; it's been purposed as a restaurant. I don't much like it, but it's relatively acceptable, given that the exterior of the building (until now) replicates the original (now-demolished) building.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    It's like painting the Eiffel Tower light grey. It looks like the Eiffel Tower and it is called the Eiffel Tower, but it just isn't the Eiffel Tower anymore.
    Well, then it's not the Eiffel Tower anymore. The bronze color you see now is not it's original color, or even one of the first 10 colors. In fact you can find this section on the tower that shows all the colors it was painted thrughout it's history.

Name:  eiffel colors.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  51.5 KB
    My signature is NOT larger than my post, nor should yours be!

• -

Actually, there are a lot of people who do mind and wish it was a theater.
    Those may be functional, but they're not based in realism. The second you have a 4 foot tall mouse walk down the street and music playing for guests, it's not realism, no matter how accurate it looks.
    Your confusing the entertainment being offered with the historical accuracy that was strived for when creating these lands. They are two totally different things.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Two words. Ugly ugly.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast