Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: The Bridge at DCA (Hyperion) has been painted according to Touring Plans...

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Actually I WOULD prefer that the Carthay be purposed as a theater, a movie theater specifically. But, it hasn't been; it's been purposed as a restaurant. I don't much like it, but it's relatively acceptable, given that the exterior of the building (until now) replicates the original (now-demolished) building.
    As far as I am aware the Carthay in DCA has not been touched the photo depicting the Carthay Circle with a pinkish color scheme is a shop from Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida.

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandDragon View Post
    I think most of the arguments are less about the use and function of the landmarks, but more about how they look and resemble them. The old bridge had more of a connection to Walt's story as the Imagineers would proudly boast during the construction and planning stages of BVS. Now it has more of a connection to all the mini-malls we drive past on our way to Disneyland.
    Bingo. I think it looks good but now it is just a run of the mill bridge, not the bridge that it was originally intended to replicate.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

The new painted bridge LOOKS better in person I saw it yesterday.

I'm guessing majority of you chatters still having seen it live in person yet and you guys are making judgement of how ugly it is just by looking at pictures.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Back in the 30's when monorails crisscrossed LA... Oh wait, never mind.
    When did the real Matterhorn ever have a monorail pass by it? It's not just DCA that has this "problem"

• Back in Black

I'm guessing majority of you chatters still having seen it live in person yet and you guys are making judgement of how ugly it is just by looking at pictures.
    Are pictures not representations of the real things? Of course we're judging by using the photos. Regardless if it "looks better in person," the argument is not about how good it looks so much as the historical context it fails to represent.

Yes, its a pleasing red color, but that is not the bridge its meant to be.
    -The MiceChatter formerly known as indyjn511

---That goat has dynamite!---

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalbma View Post

I saw it yesterday too. It does look even better in person. I think they did it because 3 of the 4 buildings adjacent to it have similar colors. Though I liked the history of the original, the new colors seem to work better in person.

Name:  hybridge1.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  110.0 KB
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalbma View Post
    That's exactly how an Internet message board works. All you need to judge the world is one Instagram pic and the outrage can begin.

The color change on the Hyperion Bridge is bad enough, but the painting of the Carthay Circle building is especially offensive, given that the original building was such a well-known landmark in Los Angeles for so many decades, and its coloring did NOT involve any muted pinkish beige, but was rather a shimmering off-white that glistened in the California sun. I don't know who made the decision to change the color, but it is WRONG, it is UNNECESSARY, and it is OFFENSIVE.
    Out of curiosity, were you also this upset when you first saw the DCA bridge for the first time six months ago? Since the DCA version has towers that are all out of scale to the original, and are missing their finials on the tower tops, and WDI decided to slap on four extra pediments with light fixtures in the middle of the span that never appear anywhere on the original viaduct bridge sections? Did all that make you mad, since it was obvious changes and additions that the original bridge never had?

The DCA version of this bridge is not a clone of the original Hyperion viaduct. It's got a scale and light fixtures and added columns and pediments that don't exist on the original. Was that troubling for you on opening day back on June 15th?

And if so, how come it never came up before?

What's with all the sudden emotion for this bridge no one seemed to care much about before, and current outrage that WDI just altered the color scheme on it? I looked at it on my way in to work this morning through the DCA entry gates, and it looks really good in person. A big improvement over the sea of beige stucco that section of the street had before.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Out of curiosity, were you also this upset when you first saw the DCA bridge for the first time six months ago? Since the DCA version has towers that are all out of scale to the original, and are missing their finials on the tower tops, and WDI decided to slap on four extra pediments with light fixtures in the middle of the span that never appear anywhere on the original viaduct bridge sections? Did all that make you mad, since it was obvious changes and additions that the original bridge never had?

The DCA version of this bridge is not a clone of the original Hyperion viaduct. It's got a scale and light fixtures and added columns and pediments that don't exist on the original. Was that troubling for you on opening day back on June 15th?

And if so, how come it never came up before?

What's with all the sudden emotion for this bridge no one seemed to care much about before, and current outrage that WDI just altered the color scheme on it? I looked at it on my way in to work this morning through the DCA entry gates, and it looks really good in person. A big improvement over the sea of beige stucco that section of the street had before.

Thank YOU! 7 pages of arguing over nothing! I'm sorry, but it's time to get out of the house people. It's a bridge color in a Disney park. Sheesh...

• Back in Black

Alright, this has kind of turned into an inevitable argument thread and it really sucks when that happens (Yes, I know that I've contributed to that here).

To lash out at one another these harsh opinions stated as facts isn't what brought us all to MiceChat in the first place... Disneyland is. For some of us, its the detail in the accuracy that lured us in. For some, its the overall aesthetic. Or maybe its just the simple magic that you get to experience when you enter the parks. ALL of that is what Disney provides to us. And all of that is what we share with one another.

With that in mind, we need to remember to respect one another's opinions when it comes to topics like this. It gets heated because we can be a little extreme in our like or dislike of an individual topic, but that passion is what brought everyone here in the first place, and we need to remember to respect that when we post or respond.

So chill out guys. On both sides. No one is going to change their opinion no matter how high and mighty you are about your own. This post may not even do much. But just remember that we're all in this together.
    -The MiceChatter formerly known as indyjn511

---That goat has dynamite!---

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Out of curiosity, were you also this upset when you first saw the DCA bridge for the first time six months ago?
    I was upset when they replaced the old bridge and all we got in return was a freeway overpass. Now we have a painted overpass. Not an improvement. In fact, it's a decline because it doesn't even look like the overpass it was supposed to be inspired by anymore.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Elias1955 View Post
    Alright, this has kind of turned into an inevitable argument thread and it really sucks when that happens (Yes, I know that I've contributed to that here).

To lash out at one another these harsh opinions stated as facts isn't what brought us all to MiceChat in the first place... Disneyland is. For some of us, its the detail in the accuracy that lured us in. For some, its the overall aesthetic. Or maybe its just the simple magic that you get to experience when you enter the parks. ALL of that is what Disney provides to us. And all of that is what we share with one another.

With that in mind, we need to remember to respect one another's opinions when it comes to topics like this. It gets heated because we can be a little extreme in our like or dislike of an individual topic, but that passion is what brought everyone here in the first place, and we need to remember to respect that when we post or respond.

So chill out guys. On both sides. No one is going to change their opinion no matter how high and mighty you are about your own. This post may not even do much. But just remember that we're all in this together.
    Name:  all in this together.png
Views: 268
Size:  137.7 KB

Joking aside, thank you for that breath of fresh air. We need to remember that people have different ways of looking at the park and that although this forum is the perfect outlet to express and discuss our own views and ideas, we must allow others to do the same and respect their opinions. We can comment and say why we personally disagree, but there's no need for hostility or complete disregard for another person's viewpoint. That's no way to create a positive environment for discussion and the exchange of ideas.
    Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 01-19-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Doesn't look like classic LA circa 1937. Looks like Irvine circa 1995.

More importantly, it doesn't look like the ACTUAL Glendale-Hyperion Street Bridge, upon which it is based.

Screws up the theming. Somebody really blew it.
    I totally agree with this.

The old color was reminiscent of the Art Deco architecture of 1930s L.A. Aside from being a tribute to the Hyperion Bridge, it also reminded me of some of the great, old, L.A. bridges that still exist and that I have seen. It also reminded me of that scene in Who Framed Roger Rabbit ("Hey Roger, what do you call the middle of a song?" "A briiiiiiidge!!!").

And that comment about Irvine was spot-on. The new one looks very much like something The Irvine Co. would be behind.

I also think this is something that people who aren't from Southern California wouldn't notice/mind...

• Banned User

If anyone here has any problem with me stating my opinion.....well, that's just too bad.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandDragon View Post
    ...The old bridge had more of a connection to Walt's story as the Imagineers would proudly boast during the construction and planning stages of BVS. Now it has more of a connection to all the mini-malls we drive past on our way to Disneyland.
    ...If it was just a simple bridge, it'd be fine. But it isn't "just a bridge." It's part of the entire theme of that section of DCA, which is supposed to honor the LA in which Walt became a success. Changing the color pattern might seem a relatively insignificant, small thing, but it isn't. Changing the color pattern changes the character, and changing the character breaks the theme. It ceases to be Los Angeles of the 1930s, and instead becomes just another generic California building. What's the point of THAT?
    The newer color pattern they're adding now is more a product of the neoeclectic styles that have been popular in new housing and shopping center designs in Southern California since the 1990s; it evidences an influence of the Ponce Creole and Mar del Plata styles, rather than being a pure interpretation of the Spanish Colonial Revival or Mission Revival styles that were so popular in the time period that Buena Vista Street supposedly represents.
    Exactly. It's the same sensibility that gave us the So Cal mall repaint of Main Street, the Toys-R-Us repaint of the Castle, the addition of bright pinlights on the Frontierland buildings, and the soundtracks from City Slickers and Blazing Saddles blasting through the American West -- the loud, in-your-face sensibility of an amusement park.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I wonder if Imagineers come on here and laugh at some of the minute stuff that ruffles fan's feathers.
    No need to wonder: Disney's Eisger-era management has been mocking the "Waltie" fans of Disney product since the earliest days of the internet. From the cubizens of TDA, to Tony Baxter getting P.O.'d because fans didn't like his idea of putting a Miley Cyrus poster in the exit of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, Disney management sneering at people who take Disneyland seriously is an old story.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast