Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: The Bridge at DCA (Hyperion) has been painted according to Touring Plans...

At least the Miley complaints were legit, as she's had no impact on the music industry that wasn't financial. This is just silly. Nothing is an exact replica, DCA is not a museum. As long as they call it the Hyperion, the story is not altered, nor the theme sacrificed. They have ever right to sneer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    I saw it yesterday too. It does look even better in person. I think they did it because 3 of the 4 buildings adjacent to it have similar colors. Though I liked the history of the original, the new colors seem to work better in person.

Attachment 26659
    These pictures tell the tale of what the Imagineers intended. This bridge clearly was inspired - no...derived - from the Hyperion bridge.

Whatever it is now is heavier and actually changes the visual scale of Buena Vista Street. What the designers of these massive art deco / Spanish / modern style bridges and viaducts were able to accomplish with concrete was amazing.

Look at the Hyperion and note that there is a perfect balance of mass and loft all at once. The original color scheme, though bland by comparison, is much truer to the landmarks the bridge payed homage to on opening day.

Details matter, and this detail just isn't right.
    Last edited by Erik Olson; 01-19-2013 at 10:20 PM.
    ~ Erik

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Tony Baxter getting P.O.'d because fans didn't like his idea of putting a Miley Cyrus poster in the exit of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
    Oh, my God.... I hadn't heard that story before.....wow.....his rep just dropped a couple notches with me....

Went to check it out in person tonight... While it looks "nice," it no longer conjures images of 1930s L.A.

Period.

Went to DCA Saturday. It looked okay at the very least. Still prefered the flat beige/white color it originally was.

While we're at it, we can paint Carthay with a black outline and the Red Car Trolleys with a pink undertone.
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 01-20-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Light pink text was not easily visible.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Hello Dolly.

I like the new colors.

Of course people have different taste, but are people actually loosing sleep because of this?

Most things in the resort are not supposed to be an exact replica of real things, as I thought the resort was supposed to be a fantasy-like state of the world. The light fixtures, monorail, and so much more should have pointed this out a long, long time ago (well last summer lol).

Quote Originally Posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    I like the new colors.

Of course people have different taste, but are people actually loosing sleep because of this?

Most things in the resort are not supposed to be an exact replica of real things, as I thought the resort was supposed to be a fantasy-like state of the world. The light fixtures, monorail, and so much more should have pointed this out a long, long time ago (well last summer lol).
    While I pretty much agree with you, both sides of the argument need to remember that theme is not a right or wrong Debate. It is a continuum with No theme on one extreme and strict, perfect recreation on the other. Its all perspective when it comes to whether or not an aspect of the park's place on that continuum is acceptable or not. Ex: a historian may scoff at main street while a Purist will praise MS. That Purist may hate the new bridge while others like it. It's all about the point of view and where one stands on What is acceptable and What is not.

And this Is why we come here. To debate and share our views on the many different aspects of the park
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• "I don't like the color"

I like the new colors.

See, the thing is, that the bridge, when BVS was unveiled, was more of a recreation of the Hyperion bridge and now it's not. Why? Because it looks nicer? Carthay Circle would look nicer with a different paint job as well. Who's idea was it? Imagineering? I doubt it. Disneyland Operations? Highly likely. Which is disheartening and tells me that those in charge of the resort feel that original theming does not matter. Does Mary Niven have no say in the matter? Who's idea was it to mess up the BVS shop windows? Does Mary Niven have no say in the matter? It's an ongoing concern that even though theming is correct, there will always be someone in TDA that says "It will look better like this" and people wonder why Imagineering throw their hands up in frustration.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Some nutbar in TDA with clout
    I think the Haunted Mansion should be painted lime green, and Space Mountain should be painted neon orange.

LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN PEOPLE!
    ^^Overheard Friday afternoon.

• Banned User

I like the new colors.

EXACTLY!!! I just left the park and it looks great. No one should care about this change.

• Banned User

I'd also like to point out, as I haven't read it yet, that only ONE side is painted. Entering the park, it's white, exiting, this new treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    EXACTLY!!! I just left the park and it looks great. No one should care about this change.
    No one "should" tell any one else what they "should" or should not care about. While I disagree with you, I respect your opinion. Why not respect mine?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I haven't seen the bridge yet in person, but it really reminds me of those 'modern' looking paint jobs they have given to certain Taco Bells/McDonalds in certain parts of the country. It really looks like a "retro-fit" paint style as if a city hired somebody to try to liven up a bridge by painting in the little surface features.

Name:  J6WG_TacoBellOpening2235.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  20060620-135339_McDonalds.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  241.3 KB

I've even seen strip mall areas that have that exact same color scheme and mottling. It looks good to OK on fast food joints and strip malls, but it doesn't seem to match with the rest of BVS, which has crisp monotone pastel colors. The bridge looked kinda urban, but I guess that was point, and I was getting used to it. If they wanted to spicen it up, why not put a little billboard/advertisement on it?

I've seen dozens of strip malls with a similar earth tone, but I doubt it was used much in LA in Walt's day,

Name:  7_1.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  33.1 KB
    Last edited by chesirecat; 01-21-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I haven't seen the bridge yet in person, but it really reminds me of those 'modern' looking paint jobs they have given to certain Taco Bells/McDonalds in certain parts of the country. It really looks like a "retro-fit" paint style as if a city hired somebody to try to liven up a bridge by painting in the little surface features.

Name:  20060620-135339_McDonalds.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  241.3 KB

I've even seen strip mall areas that have that exact same color scheme and mottling. It looks good to OK on fast food joints and strip malls, but it doesn't seem to match with the rest of BVS, which has crisp monotone pastel colors. The bridge looked kinda urban, but I guess that was point, and I was getting used to it. If they wanted to spicen it up, why not put a little billboard/advertisement on it?

I've seen dozens of strip malls with a similar earth tone, but I doubt it was used much in LA in Walt's day.
    Is that the McDonalds in Grizzly Gulch? I like the way it just blends in - I never even knew it was there!
    ~ Erik

• 2 shots on the rocks.

It needs some glitter.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast