Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Disneyland '67: Possibly the Best Year of Disneyland?

I thought Disneyland 1967 was probably the best year it ever had, so much classic attractions, everything was so fresh. The best Tomorrowland reake ever created and the addition of POTC. And, most importantantly everything was still %100 "Walt Disney: Disneyland" created. Here was the roster during this phenominal year:

Main Street U.S.A.
    Disneyland Railroad: Main Street Railroad Station
    Main Street Cinema
    Plaza Gardens Stage
    Penny Arcade
    Main Street Vehicles:
    >Horse-Drawn Surreys
    >Omnibus
    >Horseless Carriage
    >Horse-Drawn Streetcars
    >Fire Truck
    Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln

Adventureland
    Swiss Family Treehouse
    Safari Shooting Gallery
    Jungle Cruise
    Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
    Indian Village

Frontierland
    Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland
    Nature's Wonderland Pack Mules
    Golden Horseshoe Review
    Mark Twain Riverboat
    Sailing Ship Columbia
    Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island
    American Rifle Museum
    Mike Fink Keelboats
    Indian War Canoes
    Frontierland Shooting Gallery

New Orleans Square
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Pirates Arcade Museum
    Disneyland Railroad: New Orleans Square Railroad Station

Fantasyland
    Peter Pan
    Storybook Land Canal Boats
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    Motor Boat Cruise
    it's a Small World
    Fantasyland Autopia
    Dumbo the Flying Elephant
    Alice in Wonderland
    Skway to Tomorrowland
    Snow White Grotto
    Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Through
    Skull Rock/Pirate's Cove
    Fantasyland Theater (Movie Theater Version)
    Casey Jr. Circus Train
    King Arthur Carousel
    Mad Tea Party
    Snow White's Adventures

Tomorrowland
    Adventure thru Inner Space
    Flight to the Moon
    Tomorrowland Stage
    Carousel of Progress
    Circle-Vision 360: America the Beautiful
    Rocket Jets
    Autopia
    PeopleMover
    Submarine Voyage
    Skyway to Fantsyland
    Disneyland Railroad: Tomorrowland Railroad Station
    Alpine Gardens
    Tomorrowland Terrace Stage
    Disneyland-Alweg Monorail: Mark II Models
    Matterhorn Bobsleds

What do you guys think, what was the best year you think Disneyland was phenomenal?
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: Disneyland '67: Possibly the Best Year of Disneyland?

WOW!

You picked the best year which is also the first year that I went to the Park!

I agree with your list. Unfortunately, I can't remember a lot of it, but I do have distinct memories of Tink flying over the Castle, The Canal boats (I have a pic of myself standing in front of the Whale) POTC and many others. Thankfully, someone took plenty of pictures, especially the one with me and Mickey!

I bought a Park guide off of eBay for '67 since we didn't get one on our first trip.

Thanks for the memories!

I agree that year was a good one. My first visit was 1962.I remember all those things quite clearly. My dad took movie camera picture of all of it. He even took pictures of us both riding the Mattahorn while the ride was moving the whole way down.. I think all of the 60's and even the 70's was great.Remember the flower cart in front of the Carnation restaurant. I think my dad was flirting with the gal that manned that. I miss the pirate rock. I had forgotten the mule rides but now that you mention it I do remember riding them.I have my Davy Crocket hat from that year and a pop gun.

• Ooh boy!

Wow, those attractions sound fantastic!

Too bad I was -23 years old.

• Gay Man

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    I thought Disneyland 1967 was probably the best year it ever had, so much classic attractions, everything was so fresh. The best Tomorrowland reake ever created and the addition of POTC. And, most importantantly everything was still %100 "Walt Disney: Disneyland" created. Here was the roster during this phenominal year:

Main Street U.S.A.
    Disneyland Railroad: Main Street Railroad Station
    Main Street Cinema
    Plaza Gardens Stage
    Penny Arcade
    Main Street Vehicles:
    >Horse-Drawn Surreys
    >Omnibus
    >Horseless Carriage
    >Horse-Drawn Streetcars
    >Fire Truck
    Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln

Adventureland
    Swiss Family Treehouse
    Safari Shooting Gallery
    Jungle Cruise
    Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
    Indian Village

Frontierland
    Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland
    Nature's Wonderland Pack Mules
    Golden Horseshoe Review
    Mark Twain Riverboat
    Sailing Ship Columbia
    Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island
    American Rifle Museum
    Mike Fink Keelboats
    Indian War Canoes
    Frontierland Shooting Gallery

New Orleans Square
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Pirates Arcade Museum
    Disneyland Railroad: New Orleans Square Railroad Station

Fantasyland
    Peter Pan
    Storybook Land Canal Boats
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    Motor Boat Cruise
    it's a Small World
    Fantasyland Autopia
    Dumbo the Flying Elephant
    Alice in Wonderland
    Skway to Tomorrowland
    Snow White Grotto
    Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Through
    Skull Rock/Pirate's Cove
    Fantasyland Theater (Movie Theater Version)
    Casey Jr. Circus Train
    King Arthur Carousel
    Mad Tea Party
    Snow White's Adventures

Tomorrowland
    Adventure thru Inner Space
    Flight to the Moon
    Tomorrowland Stage
    Carousel of Progress
    Circle-Vision 360: America the Beautiful
    Rocket Jets
    Autopia
    PeopleMover
    Submarine Voyage
    Skyway to Fantsyland
    Disneyland Railroad: Tomorrowland Railroad Station
    Alpine Gardens
    Tomorrowland Terrace Stage
    Disneyland-Alweg Monorail: Mark II Models
    Matterhorn Bobsleds

What do you guys think, what was the best year you think Disneyland was phenomenal?
    Go two more years out and you have all that plus Haunted Mansion too. 1969 was the best in my memory.

• Animatronic

I have to go with '69, '70 as well. Nothing got lost and the previously tauntingly empty Haunted Mansion actually had a decent attraction inside. I highly recommend the 1969 haunted mansion / osmand special to get an idea of how cool each land was in 1969.

'67 does go down as the year with the best promise for the future and the most excitement as Pirates showed they were getting exponentially better at building amazement.

In terms of raw entertainment, Summer '72 is worth considering as it had Bear Country instead of the indian dance circle. While I consider the addition of talking bears to Frontierland wrong, and I'm not a big country music fan, this addition was done tastefully and included hand built arcade machines just like Pirates, in addition to the amazing animatronic show. The poorly themed, but pleasent hungry bear restaurant saw the start of the decline of the Rivers of America and Frontierland. It wasn't a good year for the theme police, but it was a great year for those, who like me, wanted to see more animatronics. In '72 the mules were still tromping through Nature's Wonderland. What a wonderous site from the Mark Twain. I did miss the indians, but they still had their trading post. I think this was the start of the good coming with some bad, followed years later by the Pressler notion of bad coming with some more bad and plush toys.

Coming in close is Disneyland's 25th birthday in 1980. Nature's Wonderland is history, but Cascade Peak still roars into the Rivers of America. Big Thunder Just opened, and Space Mountain the Space Stage have really made Tomorrowland the center of Disneyland's night life. The Carousel of Progress had given way to a less well themed, but more peppy America Sings. Since 1970, nothing spectacular had really happened with new technology, and the park has lost some of it's charm and sense of personal adventure, but it was still rocking hard. Boy did I love the 25 hour 25th birthday bash. Other than the Space Mountain complex which fixed an ugly part of Tomorrowland, I was mostly neutral on the other changes, seeing both the good and the bad.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Wow, with that break-down of 67 it sounds like it had to be great. I was a year from being born and my parents weren't fans of Disney so we didn't go until I was six or seven (my Disney love didn't happen until I went with my first girlfriend when I was 16, and yes with my parents.) So I wasn't Disneyland "aware" until the early to mid eighties.

You know it's kind of interesting that my parents weren't Disneyland fans. My brother and sister are a generation removed from me and were born in the early 50's. When Disneyland opened, my parents took my siblings there in August or September of 55. Maybe the bad press of the day kept them away, who knows.

Well anyway, 1967 sounds like it would have been a great year to be there. The mid eighties are my benchmark and I remember them being pretty good then. I guess that's the good thing about memories, no one can take them away.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Sock Puppet

Though I was only 3 years old in 1967 I'm positive I was there as my parents were Disneyland fans. I do actually remember when the Haunted Mansion wasn't open yet and it was just a building standing there.

I'm very happy to see that I'm not the only "old timer" here at Micechat. So, though I don't specifically remember 1967 I do remember before 1969 and it was in those years that my love for Disneyland was born and 30 some years later I still love Disneyland.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

In 1967 I graduated from high school. And in 1980, I too, went to that 25-hour party. What a blast!

I think I qualify as an old-timer, as I grew up with Disneyland, with my first visit in 1955 at the age of 5.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• Hunka hunka burnin love!

Huntington Beach, CA - 30 minutes away from Disneyland!

i wasnt even a sperm yet in my dads 9 year old body. lol. but this would have been an awesome year to see! :P
    We're addicted to Disney

I was there on May 5th, 2005! and July 17, 2005!

• The one, the only...

That did sound like a great year. I have to also say that the few following years still had Walt Disney themed attractions. Big Thunder, Bear Country, and Space Mountain really feel like Disney attractions because Walt was so influential in the designers lives. They tried to make attractions that would be pleasing to him.

I think the first attraction that seem to loose the original "Walt Disney" mystic was Splash Mountain. The reused animatronics, the "cannot get the logs right" problem. There there are the blank spots, when nothing is going on in the ride. Now I do love Splash Mountain, but it does not feel like Walt himself had anything to do with it, too many mistakes and too "off-the-shelf."

So I might like 1980 as the best ever year.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Vehicle rotating backward

JiminyFan: By 1980 Fantasyland was looking very outdated as the old carnival theme was over 25 years old and would be ripped apart soon after.

As for the question proposed by the first post: Do you mean on paper or actually in the park?

Because 1983 was on paper an amazing year of Disneyland (Space Mountain and the Matterhorn refurb and BTMR opened at the end of the seventies and New Fantasyland opened in 1983) but the maintenance/service around the park was almost non-existant since the corporate mothership was fighting takeovers and gambling with the loss of entire divisions.

In the parks, I'll say 1970, despite the cultural warfare going on at the time (ladies, you ARE wearing bras, right?) and I wasn't at an age where I had become cynical enough to be a proper judge yet. The Haunted Mansion was FINALLY opened, service/maintenance quality was still top-notch because Walt had only just left still and his standards were still being adhered to, Indian Village would close down the next year to become Bear Country. Parks budget was HUGE because they were building WDW and had yet to cannibalize DL's role in the company to focus on making WDW the star attraction.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 01-14-2006 at 11:54 PM.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    Coming in close is Disneyland's 25th birthday in 1980. Nature's Wonderland is history, but Cascade Peak still roars into the Rivers of America. Big Thunder Just opened, and Space Mountain the Space Stage have really made Tomorrowland the center of Disneyland's night life. The Carousel of Progress had given way to a less well themed, but more peppy America Sings. Since 1970, nothing spectacular had really happened with new technology, and the park has lost some of it's charm and sense of personal adventure, but it was still rocking hard. Boy did I love the 25 hour 25th birthday bash. Other than the Space Mountain complex which fixed an ugly part of Tomorrowland, I was mostly neutral on the other changes, seeing both the good and the bad.
    Lore - I liked 1980 also. The 25th anniversary was great with nowhere near the hype of the 50th...and I think I worked about 16 hours of that 7-17-80 party. I loved my years working at the park. In no job I've had since have I ever felt the comraderie I felt with the crews I worked with then.
    As for 1967...as I've posted in other threads, I had my first memorable visit to the Park that year...Tomorrowland was sparkling and new...and POTC had just opened that summer, and I got a kiss from my 11-year old girlfriend .
    Other notes...one day after work in 1979 we got to ride BTMR ten straight times (before it opened to the public) while jealous guests looked on.
    And since the men's locker room was directly across from the Space Mountain site, I got to see that wonderful attraction being built basically from the ground up, and yes we rode that too before it opened (and I got to really impress another girlfriend) .
    Great times...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Boat shoes all day long

I am a great fan of the conditions of the park in the year no less than or there past 2000.

• Minion

I can see picking 1967 since that year delivered two extremely large projects: Pirates, and "The World On The Move" Tomorrowland II. No other year in Disneyland history delivered so much in one year. - Though, I would agree the absolute best year would have been 1969 ... August to be exact when the long anticipated HAUNTED MANSION opened - As the southern mansion (facade) stood out there since 1962 ... with People wondering when that "walk through tour of a haunted house" would open.

So much happened between 1966 and 1969:

'66......
    - small world
    - Primeval World diroma
    - New Orleans Square
    - brand new DLRR/Monorail 4-train capacity Roundhouse
    '67......
    -TL II
    - PoC
    '68
    -Autopia "Mark VII" cars
    '69
    -Monorail "Mark III" trains
    -Haunted Mansion

In 50 years ... nothing comes close to that 4 year period!
    Last edited by Escapé; 01-15-2006 at 01:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast