Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 118
  1. #91

    • Inappropriate
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,425

    Re: What films deserve representation and where?

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    No.
    Could you expand on that?

    Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

  2. #92

    • Disneyland 19 year APH
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brea, Ca
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: What films deserve representation and where?

    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I'm thinking a cute cake shop themed to the three good fairies trying to plan and create Aurora's birthday party.
    And in the window they should have the cake from the movie and all of its broom-filled glory
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

  3. #93

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: What films deserve representation and where?

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Winnie the Pooh was created by a British author for his son, and takes place in a forest in England called the Hundred Acre Wood. A Pooh ride has no more thematic connection to Disneyland's West Side than do Mr. Toad, Peter Pan or Alice in Wonderland. Its placement in the American woods of Critter Country is a testament to the thematic indifference that has marked many of the Eisger regime's additions to Disneyland.
    No.
    In fact, Winnie the Pooh is as British as Alice, Peter Pan and Mr. Toad. According to Wikipedia's well-footnoted article:


    "The Winnie-the-Pooh stories are set in Ashdown Forest, Sussex, England. The forest is a large area of tranquil open heathland on the highest sandy ridges of the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty situated 30 miles (50 km) south of London.

    "Many locations in the stories can be linked to real places in and around the forest. As Christopher Milne wrote in his autobiography: “Pooh’s forest and Ashdown Forest are identical”. For example, the fictional "Hundred Acre Wood" was in reality Five Hundred Acre Wood; Galleon's Leap was inspired by the prominent hilltop of Gill's Lap, while a clump of trees just north of Gill's Lap became Christopher Robin's The Enchanted Place because no-one had ever been able to count whether there were sixty-three or sixty-four trees in the circle.

    "The landscapes depicted in E.H. Shepard’s illustrations for the Winnie-the-Pooh books are directly inspired by the distinctive landscape of Ashdown Forest, with its high, open heathlands of heather, gorse, bracken and silver birch punctuated by hilltop clumps of pine trees. In many cases Shepard's illustrations can be matched to actual views, allowing for a degree of artistic licence. Shepard's sketches of pine trees and other forest scenes are held at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

    "The game of Poohsticks was originally played by Christopher Milne on a footbridge across a tributary of the River Medway in Posingford Wood, close to Cotchford Farm. The wooden bridge is a tourist attraction, and it is traditional to play the game there using sticks gathered in nearby woodland. When the footbridge required replacement in recent times the engineer designed a new structure based closely on the drawings by E. H. Shepard of the bridge in the original books, as the bridge did not originally appear as the artist drew it."


    Walt Disney's adaptation of Winnie the Pooh closely followed E.H. Shepard's illustrations of the British Hundred Acre Wood -- another thematic fact ignored by Eisger's Disney when they misplaced the Pooh ride in the American forest of Critter Country.

    Pooh definitely deserves a Disneyland attraction -- but in Fantasyland, with the other animated adaptations of British children's literature.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  4. #94

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: What films deserve representation and where?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    In fact, Winnie the Pooh is as British as Alice, Peter Pan and Mr. Toad. According to Wikipedia's well-footnoted article:


    "The Winnie-the-Pooh stories are set in Ashdown Forest, Sussex, England. The forest is a large area of tranquil open heathland on the highest sandy ridges of the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty situated 30 miles (50 km) south of London.

    "Many locations in the stories can be linked to real places in and around the forest. As Christopher Milne wrote in his autobiography: “Pooh’s forest and Ashdown Forest are identical”. For example, the fictional "Hundred Acre Wood" was in reality Five Hundred Acre Wood; Galleon's Leap was inspired by the prominent hilltop of Gill's Lap, while a clump of trees just north of Gill's Lap became Christopher Robin's The Enchanted Place because no-one had ever been able to count whether there were sixty-three or sixty-four trees in the circle.

    "The landscapes depicted in E.H. Shepard’s illustrations for the Winnie-the-Pooh books are directly inspired by the distinctive landscape of Ashdown Forest, with its high, open heathlands of heather, gorse, bracken and silver birch punctuated by hilltop clumps of pine trees. In many cases Shepard's illustrations can be matched to actual views, allowing for a degree of artistic licence. Shepard's sketches of pine trees and other forest scenes are held at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

    "The game of Poohsticks was originally played by Christopher Milne on a footbridge across a tributary of the River Medway in Posingford Wood, close to Cotchford Farm. The wooden bridge is a tourist attraction, and it is traditional to play the game there using sticks gathered in nearby woodland. When the footbridge required replacement in recent times the engineer designed a new structure based closely on the drawings by E. H. Shepard of the bridge in the original books, as the bridge did not originally appear as the artist drew it."


    Walt Disney's adaptation of Winnie the Pooh closely followed E.H. Shepard's illustrations of the British Hundred Acre Wood -- another thematic fact ignored by Eisger's Disney when they misplaced the Pooh ride in the American forest of Critter Country.

    Pooh definitely deserves a Disneyland attraction -- but in Fantasyland, with the other animated adaptations of British children's literature.

    Fantasyland is medieval by majority and not contemporary stories. Pooh looks ridiculous there in WDW and doesn't fit in at all around fairy tales. Again, they can change the theme. It's their park, not ours. If they wanna put a British forest in CC, more power to them. They already did it, and justified it. The fact that fans think they have the authority to declare something misplaced because they don't like the answer they're given, is a bit self important. It doesn't invalidate the answer.

  5. #95

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: What films deserve representation and where?

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Fantasyland is medieval by majority and not contemporary stories.
    Actually, medieval period-based attractions are not in the majority.

    Medieval:
    King Arthur's Carousel
    Sleeping Beauty's Castle

    Non-medieval:
    Snow White (early 19th century)
    Alice in Wonderland (late 19th century)
    Mad Tea Party (Alice in Wonderland, late 19th century)
    Pinocchio (late 19th century)
    Mr. Toad (Wind in the Willows, early 20th century)
    Peter Pan (early 20th century)
    Dumbo (mid-20th century)
    Casey Jr. (mid-20th century)
    Storybook Land Canal Boats (multiple time periods represented)
    Matterhorn Bobsleds (no time period)
    Small World (no time period)

    There are no "contemporary" stories in Fantasyland.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  6. #96

    • ~
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    557

    Re: What films deserve representation and where?

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Fantasyland is medieval by majority and not contemporary stories. Pooh looks ridiculous there in WDW and doesn't fit in at all around fairy tales. Again, they can change the theme. It's their park, not ours. If they wanna put a British forest in CC, more power to them. They already did it, and justified it. The fact that fans think they have the authority to declare something misplaced because they don't like the answer they're given, is a bit self important. It doesn't invalidate the answer.
    Just because a justification has been given doesn't mean the Guest has to accept it. They may completely disagree with the logic behind said justification. It's all open to interpretation and how our mind perceives things, there is no universal answer. The argument that it's "their park, not ours" seems odd to me. I hear the words from Walt's opening day speech ringing in my ears, "Disneyland is your land." We might not own the property, but there is a part of it that belongs to each of us, our hearts each guard a little bit of that magic. Disneyland is nothing without a Guest to experience it. These realms of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasyland are just pieces of land filled with lifeless robots, props, facades, and buildings until there is someone there to use their imagination to take these cues and use them to actually believe in these alternate worlds. That is when the real magic happens.

    The idea of stuffed animals coming to life, talking, and going on adventures is a pretty fantastical idea heavily reliant on the power of imagination, the very substance that ties all of Fantasyland's magical tales together. In that way, it could possibly be a reasonable addition to the land.

  7. #97

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,421

    Re: What films deserve representation and where?

    Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    and in the window they should have the cake from the movie and all of its broom-filled glory
    yes.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  8. #98

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    260

    Re: What films deserve representation and where?

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Fantasyland is medieval by majority and not contemporary stories. Pooh looks ridiculous there in [Fantasyland] and doesn't fit in at all around fairy tales.




    Ok. If Alice fits in Fantasyland, then there is no reason that the giant storybook Pooh can't.

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Again, they can change the theme. It's their park, not ours. If they wanna put a British forest in CC, more power to them. They already did it, and justified it. The fact that fans think they have the authority to declare something misplaced because they don't like the answer they're given, is a bit self important. It doesn't invalidate the answer.
    If this were the case, then there would not have been any DCA expansion. Your entire philosophy is "The guests opinion does not matter" which seems to be the worst business strategy possible.

    By you philosophy, Disney could have (and to an extent did) just said "DCA is Disney quality, get used to it." When fans objected, Disney had to do something. In the grand scheme of things, fans do have a say.

    Do you honestly think that everything Disney does is perfect?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  9. #99

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    581

    Re: What films deserve representation and where?

    Bambi in Critter Country. CC *badly* needs another kiddie friendly attraction. Right now, the *only* ride past maybe the Tiki Room/JC/Treehouse area that is fit for kids under 5 is Pooh, and that is a *long* walk back there for only one ride. (it would right at the back behind where the shop is. There is room behind there that they could squeeze a 2-3 minute darkide into.)

    B&TB, Cinderella, and Aladdin rides in Fantasyland. Expand east into what is now the northern half of Autopia and the motorboat pond. There is tons of space there for a major new B&TB that would be built very similar to DCA's restauraut, but be an omnimover darkride instead. Cinderella would a FL-style classic 2-3 minute ride. Aladdin's Magic Carpet Ride would copy the successful formula of Peter Pan, and would recreate the classic "A Whole New World" flying scene from the movie.

    Mickey Mouse & the gang ride in Tootown. There is space behind the northwest corner of Toontown to put in a new darkride to balance out RR. I think a new story featuring all the classic characters would be really great.
    Last edited by greenalfonzo; 01-21-2013 at 08:29 AM.

  10. #100

    • Diva Extrodinaire
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Los Angleles
    Posts
    674

    Re: What films deserve representation and where?

    Lion King and Aladdin in Adventureland
    Princess and the Frog in New Orleans
    Bambi in Critter Country
    Pocahontas in Frontierland
    Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Tangled in Fantasyland
    Steamboat Willie in Toontown
    Wall-E in Tomorrowland
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

  11. #101

    • Inappropriate
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,425

    Re: What films deserve representation and where?

    Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Bambi in Critter Country. CC *badly* needs another kiddie friendly attraction. Right now, the *only* ride past maybe the Tiki Room/JC/Treehouse area that is fit for kids under 5 is Pooh, and that is a *long* walk back there for only one ride. (it would right at the back behind where the shop is. There is room behind there that they could squeeze a 2-3 minute darkide into.)
    Hey I think you're onto something here. Maybe that's part of the reason to Pooh's waning popularity is because it's so far removed from everything. BUT if they threw in one more dark ride back there for the kiddies, then you have a really good ecosystem of convenience to supplement the thrill ride (Splash Mountain.) For those who aren't tall enough for Splash, the family member that waits with shorty while all the others go on the ride only have Pooh to ride. And you can only ride that so many times before going insane. Add another ride and you double the things to do, and it makes that corner of the park more of a destination rather than an inconvenience.

    Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

  12. #102

    •   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,075

    Re: What films deserve representation and where?

    Bambi could be nice for Critter Country, agreed, and able to be done more 'natural' American woodsy than the neon color/psychadelic style of Pooh.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

  13. #103

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,608

    Re: What films deserve representation and where?

    A Fox and the Hound sit down restaurant in Critter Country could work.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

  14. #104

    • Insomniac
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Wonderful World of Utah?
    Posts
    1,968

    Re: What films deserve representation and where?

    1. Beauty and the Beast - Enchanted Tiki Room style show that was designed for EuroDisney (and should have been put in New Fantasyland) in the Motor boat cruise area.
    2. Tangled - Storybookland.
    3. Princess and the Frog - Storybookland.
    4. Oswald - Animation building replacement for Turtle Talk With Crush.
    5. Twilight Zone (even if they don't own the tv show) - Mad T Party replacement themed to classic horror films of the 40-60's and the classic tv show.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

    https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

  15. #105

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: What films deserve representation and where?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post




    Ok. If Alice fits in Fantasyland, then there is no reason that the giant storybook Pooh can't.


    If this were the case, then there would not have been any DCA expansion. Your entire philosophy is "The guests opinion does not matter" which seems to be the worst business strategy possible.

    By you philosophy, Disney could have (and to an extent did) just said "DCA is Disney quality, get used to it." When fans objected, Disney had to do something. In the grand scheme of things, fans do have a say.

    Do you honestly think that everything Disney does is perfect?
    Alice is a fantasy/fairy tale/period piece. Pooh is not. Moving on...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What do your Avatars and Sigs. mean?
    By FantasyForever in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 12-27-2005, 07:24 AM
  2. What's your sign? And even worse pick up lines
    By HiddenMickey in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 04:22 PM
  3. If you could build one ride at DCA.. what would it be and why??
    By figment1986 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 02:06 AM
  4. What is your best and worst Disneyland memory?
    By CoolCanadian in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-17-2005, 09:55 PM
  5. Films, TV Shows, and Cartoons that should be on DVD!
    By Soulquarian in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 06:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •