Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

• Senior Minion

Re: What films deserve representation and where?

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Alice is a fantasy/fairy tale/period piece. Pooh is not.
    In point of historical fact, Alice in Wonderland and Winnie the Pooh are both classic examples of the "Golden Age of Children's Literature" -- particularly, British children's literature -- which ran from Alice in 1865 to Pooh in 1928, and included Wind in the Willows and Peter Pan.

Much has been written about the Golden Age of Children's Literature; here is one brief example.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

None of that changes my position, but ok.

• Minion

Fantasyland is medieval by majority and not contemporary stories. Pooh looks ridiculous there in WDW and doesn't fit in at all around fairy tales. Again, they can change the theme. It's their park, not ours. If they wanna put a British forest in CC, more power to them. They already did it, and justified it. The fact that fans think they have the authority to declare something misplaced because they don't like the answer they're given, is a bit self important. It doesn't invalidate the answer.
    Bold mine. I just find it interesting that in the same paragraph you call a decision made at WDW "ridiculous" and then present the idea that any decision made by Imagineering cannot be questioned by fans.

I know you're saying that the difference is that they "changed the theme," but I don't see a sufficient change there. It still feels very rustic American backwoods and very un-British. Just now with hunny pot litter.

Also, I'd like to point out that the majority of characters in Pooh (including Pooh himself) are not talking critters, but stuffed animals come to life. The classic Disney films make a point of showing this (Pooh ripping his seam and swearing "oh, stuff and fluff!", Eeyore being "stuffed with sawdust" and losing his tacked-on tail). The only characters that were supposed to be "real" animals in the books were Rabbit and Owl, who were depicted more realistically in the original illustrations (although in an episode of The New Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh, Rabbit winds up for sale in a toy shop, and you don't often run across yellowish-green rabbits in nature).

On top of that, the films present the characters as being aware that they're in a book, and they regularly frolic across sentences and converse with the crisp-British-accented narrator.

So you've got toys come to life and storybook illustrations come to life. Both of those sound like Fantasyland concepts to me.

Marc Davis' hairy, toothy Country Bears fit alongside Splash Mountain's critters much better than stylized teddy bear Pooh, particuarly as he appears in this ride, as if he's carved out of a block of solid plastic. I want a more cuddly looking Pooh. And considering they put it in there to sell toys, you'd think they'd want that too! .

My idea was that Pooh's Hunny Hunt could be put in a "mini-Toyland" with a Toy Story attraction (that actually takes you into the world of the movie, with the other two Toy Story attractions being rethemed), and a Babes in Toyland shop, and that all of this would go adjacent to doll-filled "small world" in the current location of the Fantasyland Theater. (A new theatrical venue could be created in a different location. And no, I have no idea if all that would fit in there . But at least I think you could get Pooh and the Toyland shop in. )
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 01-21-2013 at 07:16 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

None of that changes my position, but ok.
    Why do you start a thread if you are going to denounce any post you don't agree with? Isn't that the whole point of a message board, to get opposing view points?

If you sit here and just say "You're wrong" over and over, the discussion gets no where.

• Minion

The Black Cauldron is pretty much perfect for Fantasyland. Such an underrated film that receives no love.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• -

If rumors come to fruition, Iron Man should get some representation. I think this one would be great as it fits the proposed area nicely.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    Why do you start a thread if you are going to denounce any post you don't agree with? Isn't that the whole point of a message board, to get opposing view points?

If you sit here and just say "You're wrong" over and over, the discussion gets no where.
    he never said that the opposing view was wrong...he clearly just has a different view point and is going to stick with it. There's nothing wrong with that.

I'm shocked to this day that they haven't re-themed the Jungle Cruise with characters from The Lion King, Jungle Book and Tarzan. I'm not saying I'd support or condone this, I'm just saying it would be such a modern era Disney thing to do, and relatively easy. (I would much rather they keep the realistic animals/theme, but replace the animatronics with far better sophisticated ones..the ones they have now really need an update badly)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post

I'm not trying to attack people who disagree with me. I started a thread about what films should be used, and it's derailed into a battle with the themeing police. There's two different topics going on, and I've only intentionally started one.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Lestat74 View Post
    I'm shocked to this day that they haven't re-themed the Jungle Cruise with characters from The Lion King, Jungle Book and Tarzan. I'm not saying I'd support or condone this, I'm just saying it would be such a modern era Disney thing to do, and relatively easy. (I would much rather they keep the realistic animals/theme, but replace the animatronics with far better sophisticated ones..the ones they have now really need an update badly)
    Please don't give them any ideas.
    I'm not trying to attack people who disagree with me. I started a thread about what films should be used, and it's derailed into a battle with the themeing police. There's two different topics going on, and I've only intentionally started one.
    Unfortunately it is hard to realistically have a discussion where the idea comes up of putting x character in x land without discussing if x character fits into such a land. Otherwise I could say that I think we should remove the pirate theme from the island and replace it with Ewoks and expect everyone to be ok with it. The natural flow of the discussion does not always derail the thread. Sometimes these things go hand in hand.
    Last edited by calsig31; 01-21-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Meet the Robinsons for Tomorrowland. While Wall-E's set in the future, it's too dystopian to fit into Tomorrowland's idealistic tone. Meet the Robinsons is a much better fit and would provide some fantastic visual inspiration for a re-invigorated Tomorrowland.

Princess and the Frog or The Rescuers as a dark ride replacing Pooh to better fit the location. Put a new Pooh ride in the old Motor Boat Cruise space.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Lestat74 View Post
    I think it'd be interesting to do both: Reference scenes from those films, but use realistic animal figures to play the characters rather then the exact cartoon versions. Preserves the ride's visual style and could add some absurdity fodder for jokes.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Folks, as much as we might hope a thread we started could stay within a narrow concept we may have had when posting it, all threads can wander a bit without necessarily becoming inappropriate. While threads do have a premise, in addressing that premise, it is not off-base to include thoughts that you believe support your point of view. That's all part of what the discussion is about. When, however folks go for the personal in their fervor over the discussion, we can be headed off the edge of the cliff, with no positive side to such posts at all.

Please don't let this thread devolve into that. If you are complaining about your fellow members being off-topic, the irony is that with said posts, you too have taken the topic off track and may have incited return hostility. In addition, asides and attacks on others break one of our main rules.

Thanks for your help!
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678