Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Parmageddon Jim

Re: How do people feel about the Monorail going through Buena Vista St?

Never bothered me. Neither does seeing a castle and snow-capped mountain at the end of Main Street. If the Monorail ran the length of Buena Vista Street it would probably bother me, but as a momentary flash on an overhead bridge, it's simply a reminder of the vast array of adventures I can have at Disneyland.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• No Disassemble!

To me it passes by so quick that I barely notice it. The same thing goes for Soarin' for that matter. What bugs me is when it zooms by close to my room every 15 minutes when I stay at the Grand Californian. Perhaps it's a hint from the mouse that I should probably upgrade to a park view room next time.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I think that whole idea of how the placed the monorail in the first place with the DCA expantion was wrong...but know that we're stuck with it the new themeing kind-of makes the enterance less important and makes more on Carthay Theater. The Golden Gate made the park enterance feel more important they way the train station across the way gets you ready for the park, even though its not the main icon. I think the new Hyperian bridge (and Disney uses that name way to much) undermines the orignal Golden Gate and its too old of a referance for people to connect to it. Maybe the whole monorail through DCA will change with a third gate with it might being a satalight park.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by whitestrat View Post
    I don't mind it.
    Its funny, to me, the Monorails have always been a big part of what represented Disneyland to me ever since I was a kid. They are something I take for granted, and expect at the park, just part of the whole experience. They are an exciting reminder that, Oh yeah, I'm in Disneyland! Not that you need reminding of that, its just that I don't see monorails anywhere else in my day to day life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd View Post
    Never bothered me. Neither does seeing a castle and snow-capped mountain at the end of Main Street. If the Monorail ran the length of Buena Vista Street it would probably bother me, but as a momentary flash on an overhead bridge, it's simply a reminder of the vast array of adventures I can have at Disneyland.
    Combining some of what has been said in these two post brings an interesting thought that the monorail could almost work the way that the Sleeping Beauty Castle does, evoking certain emotions and conveying special messages and ideas with its passing through the land. It's like a piece of modern Disney history passing through the humble origins of the legacy, a little glimmer of the exciting world that is to become as you take the first steps into the beginning of the story. Although it obviously wasn't designed to convey this message and only passes through because that's its pre-determined route, perhaps through some odd stroke of luck and fate, there's a certain poetic symbolism created through this image.

"Poetic Symbolism"

Thats perfect!

•   
    • Minion

It's fine. I honestly don't notice it unless I'm ON it, and then I enjoy the peek into DCA. It's all about willing suspension of disbelief and the ability to transcend barriers and cross borders, including those of the so-called real world. When I'm on BVS I'm on a 1920s street in my 2013 clothes with my digital camera, after all.

I agree with those who have wished for a station in DCA - I know the logistics of checking tickets/etc. make it impossible and we've discussed that before here. All the same in a perfect world it would be nice to be able to take the monorail to/from either park.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    I liked it more when it was the Golden Gate Bridge, but I am still okay with it. I haven't actually noticed it in a long, long time.
    I agree, it was sad to see an icon of the state replaced with a simple freeway overpass, but I get that a San Fransisco bridge wouldn't fit into the LA theme.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I think i'm the only one who doesnt like the new entrance. Its an upgrade over the old one for sure but I am not blown away by it. it looks cheap and fake. especially the carthay circle

I'd LOVE to see the monorail removed from both parks. Instead I would use it as a mode of transportation primarily for hotel guests that has stops at all three hotels, the plaza between both parks and a stop over in the area of the third park/Toy Story Parking lot area.

I'd also like to see an additional people mover-like transportation that goes back and forth between all parking venues and the plaza.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Just curious. Not really an easy way to avoid it, but I don't so much mind, except for one time when the driver honked. What do you guys think thematically about it?
    It doesn't bother me, it's really no different than the monorail going through Fantasyland and passing by the Matterhorn. The monorail passes/goes through a lot of areas that don't fit it's theme or the theme of the area it's passing over. In short, it's a non-issue.

• Back in Black

...the monorail could almost work the way that the Sleeping Beauty Castle does, evoking certain emotions and conveying special messages and ideas with its passing through the land. It's like a piece of modern Disney history passing through the humble origins of the legacy, a little glimmer of the exciting world that is to become as you take the first steps into the beginning of the story. Although it obviously wasn't designed to convey this message and only passes through because that's its pre-determined route, perhaps through some odd stroke of luck and fate, there's a certain poetic symbolism created through this image.
    Oh, OH! This! 100 points to you, gathringrosebuds!
    -The MiceChatter formerly known as indyjn511

---That goat has dynamite!---

• some assembly required

It never seems out-of-place near the Matterhorn, from the train, from SW mall/queue, from the esplanade, nor BVS. As mentioned above by The International, it just seems to go with the park with emphisis on TL.

As for as Mattie is concerned, the futuristic sightline of the monorail zooming passed a mountain, is just that - futuristic. Mountains will still exist in the future just as they do now on the boarder of Fantasyland and TL. It reminds me of this old piece of promo art for the Autobahn...
    Name:  AB vintage.png
Views: 89
Size:  74.1 KB

There's a few more out there that have snow capped peaks and would be a better example of facilities and nature, but I couldn't find them since I have limited access online right now.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    I'd LOVE to see the monorail removed from both parks. Instead I would use it as a mode of transportation primarily for hotel guests that has stops at all three hotels, the plaza between both parks and a stop over in the area of the third park/Toy Story Parking lot area.

I'd also like to see an additional people mover-like transportation that goes back and forth between all parking venues and the plaza.
    Well...I wouldn't count on that any time soon. haha.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    If I recalled that was the orignal plan pre-DCA concepts. I would still like to see this done but should be done at a faster paste rather the 2mph ride it needs to be more of 10-15mph ride as it is now. Sorry to be going off topic.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

The parks themselves require a complete, wholesale suspension of disbelief, making these constant questions around "breaking theme" a bit myopic. At the end of the day, figuratively (and literally), you're in Anaheim - which is no Wonderland.

Disneyland itself, with its contrasting lands separated only by a turn here or a threshold there, was designed to lure the guest deeper and deeper into the adventure - often with visual cues from incongruous landmarks that just tease us from a distance. Since the earliest days of the original park, the Skyway flew over flying elephants, castles, spinning teacups, through a mountain and into the future.

Adventureland, New Orleans Square and Tom Sawyer's Island do a pretty admirable job of isolating their theme, but Fantasyland and Tomorrowland have always forced guests to buy into the fact that they are simply at "Disneyland".
    ~ Erik

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast