Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Inappropriate

Re: How do people feel about the Monorail going through Buena Vista St?

I enjoy the monorail cruising through BVS. I might be upset if it was parked there all day, but a quick fly-by doesn't hurt. As others have said, the monorail is a Disney symbol to me. When I see it, regardless of where it is, it makes me happy.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Complete indifference.

• Banned User

I don't have any problem with it.

Didn't have a problem with the Golden Gate Bridge being there, either.

Of course, I'm still not all that thrilled with DCA being where it is; I still miss the old parking lot, and would have much preferred DCA to be placed on the property north of the Disneyland Hotel and West of Disneyland, roughly where the Mickey & Friends Parking Structure is.

But, hey, that's me.

• Blew By You

Actually, I never thought about the thematics of the Monorail passing above Buena Vista Street. But it hasn't been a problem for me.

• Parking Lot > DCA

It's fine with me. No problems here.

•   
    • Minion

Doesn't bother me one bit

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    I still miss the old parking lot
    I think you've mentioned this before. Why do you miss about the old parking lot? Wasn't it just a parking lot like you'd find at a mall?

Missing a parking lot may take nostalgia for 70s Disneyland to a new, strange extreme. Did DCA 1.0 really bother you that much?
    ~ Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    Missing a parking lot may take nostalgia for 70s Disneyland to a new, strange extreme. Did DCA 1.0 really bother you that much?
    Its understandable. The parking lot offered the hope and oppurtunity of a worthy second gate. DCA 1.0 was an abomination that couldn't be undone.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    I think you've mentioned this before. Why do you miss about the old parking lot? Wasn't it just a parking lot like you'd find at a mall?
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    I know it sounds really weird to wax poetic about a parking lot, but the old Disneyland parking lot wasn't just some ordinary parking lot, oddly enough. It wasn't like one you'd find at a mall.

It fit in with the entire design of Disneyland, with the Park's own unique, upside-down-rounded-triangle shape. It's primarily about aesthetics and psychology. Disneyland, not being just any old place, required (still requires) a truly grand entrance, and the old parking lot fulfilled that role. And I honestly believe that it was by deliberate design.

It began pretty much on Harbor Blvd. If your mom or dad (whoever was driving) made that turn into the entrance, your heart rate skyrocketed and your breathing quickened. As you passed through the Main Parking Entrance, you felt as thought you were entering Valhalla. This was especially compounded by clear blue skies, and the spaciousness of the parking lot itself. Few things, other than other vehicles, were close by - everything was in the distance. You were truly entering A LAND, a MAGIC land, no less. This was the place where Mickey Mouse LIVED, so it was not just another block, where mere mortals resided. No. This was NOT the ordinary, everyday world. This.....was.....the one....and only....DISNEYLAND!

Your palms began sweating. You almost peed your pants, you were so excited. And then began the ritual, which was apropos for such a momentous occasion - you exited the car, you breathed in the cool morning air, and you began your trek to either the nearest Tram pick-up spot, or the Main Gate itself. That trek, that crossing of the parking lot, while being able to see the Main Gate, was important. It established an actual physical distance one traveled between the real world and ..... well, HEAVEN, to be honest. (Is Disneyland NOT Heaven, to a child?) In many respects, the parking lot was Heaven's Lobby. In the process of traversing the parking lot, either by Tram or by foot, one shed one's normal, ordinary status as a person of the World Outside The Berm. You psychologically prepared yourself for leaving the ordinary world behind, and entering the Magic Kingdom. And while this was happening, you kept the Main Gate within your sight the whole time. It was as if that tower at the Main Street Railroad Station called to you, siren-like. And at last, you arrived at the Main Gate. Tickets were purchased, and then....you entered Heaven.

So, this is what I mean when I say that this was not just some ordinary parking lot. The current parking situation, because of DCA's placement, doesn't allow you this ritualistic, almost religious experience any longer. And, sadly, the entire Disneyland experience is somewhat diminished - forever - because of that.

• Senior Minion

^ This, x 10. A great description of what it was like!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• The High 5 & Waving Goth

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    I know it sounds really weird to wax poetic about a parking lot, but the old Disneyland parking lot wasn't just some ordinary parking lot, oddly enough. It wasn't like one you'd find at a mall.

It fit in with the entire design of Disneyland, with the Park's own unique, upside-down-rounded-triangle shape. It's primarily about aesthetics and psychology. Disneyland, not being just any old place, required (still requires) a truly grand entrance, and the old parking lot fulfilled that role. And I honestly believe that it was by deliberate design.

It began pretty much on Harbor Blvd. If your mom or dad (whoever was driving) made that turn into the entrance, your heart rate skyrocketed and your breathing quickened. As you passed through the Main Parking Entrance, you felt as thought you were entering Valhalla. This was especially compounded by clear blue skies, and the spaciousness of the parking lot itself. Few things, other than other vehicles, were close by - everything was in the distance. You were truly entering A LAND, a MAGIC land, no less. This was the place where Mickey Mouse LIVED, so it was not just another block, where mere mortals resided. No. This was NOT the ordinary, everyday world. This.....was.....the one....and only....DISNEYLAND!

Your palms began sweating. You almost peed your pants, you were so excited. And then began the ritual, which was apropos for such a momentous occasion - you exited the car, you breathed in the cool morning air, and you began your trek to either the nearest Tram pick-up spot, or the Main Gate itself. That trek, that crossing of the parking lot, while being able to see the Main Gate, was important. It established an actual physical distance one traveled between the real world and ..... well, HEAVEN, to be honest. (Is Disneyland NOT Heaven, to a child?) In many respects, the parking lot was Heaven's Lobby. In the process of traversing the parking lot, either by Tram or by foot, one shed one's normal, ordinary status as a person of the World Outside The Berm. You psychologically prepared yourself for leaving the ordinary world behind, and entering the Magic Kingdom. And while this was happening, you kept the Main Gate within your sight the whole time. It was as if that tower at the Main Street Railroad Station called to you, siren-like. And at last, you arrived at the Main Gate. Tickets were purchased, and then....you entered Heaven.

So, this is what I mean when I say that this was not just some ordinary parking lot. The current parking situation, because of DCA's placement, doesn't allow you this ritualistic, almost religious experience any longer. And, sadly, the entire Disneyland experience is somewhat diminished - forever - because of that.
    I have so many memories of that parking lot...despite the bad news you hear (the gang shootings, robberies, etc.)

It was just a staple of the Disneyland charm. So many good memories back in the day.

I still do have good memories of the park/resort, but I liked it better when it wasn't a "resort".

Of course, I still visit when I can. I don't think I'll ever be able to say "no" to Disney unless I'm in a state where I'm forced to...but even then, I'll find a way.

Oh, and the Monorail passing through BVS is really just...a monorail passing through. Doesn't bother me one bit!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123