Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Re: Am I the only one who likes the Little Mermaid ride?

I would have to say it is a good attraction. I would give it a C. My problems with it (at DCA) is the ride moves too fast so you don't get to listen songs or see it all/intake it, also the end of the ride is missing the whole defeating Ursala scene and you go from almost kissing to the magic kiss which misses a good half hour movie of Ariels expirancing the human world and also her love story with prince Erik. If you have sean the original idea for the attraction from the DVD extras (you can see it on Youtube) that would have been a much more interesting ride than the one we got. The attraction now is a solid clasic Fantasyland attraction for it does not show the whole story but it seams to me that the whole defeating the villian would have warrented a scene atleast and not just a backgroung reference. I don't think they can doing anything now even after bulding it at WDW. I think of room restriction at DCA caused the missing of the scene but I would suport an expantion of the current expantion on both coasts. (I would have not minded two different rides on different costs...just saying)
    Last edited by brianpinsky; 01-18-2013 at 03:18 AM.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo123 View Post
    this. lot of empty spots and no fight scene make this ride not that good. Monsters inc is way better imo
    ^ I agree! Even if Monsters Inc. makes no sense thematically and its animatronics are no where near as advanced as TLM, I like it much better. I think it boils down to the fact that it does a better job at immersing the Guest into the world of Monstropolis, the very thing that I felt like TLM failed to accomplish with its world. Although, I will admit that I really like the part when you go "under the sea"-- that was pretty clever, though no where near as genius as the idea presented in the DVD ride.

• former CM

I think it's kind of boring. And I like many of the smaller dark rides in Disneyland.

I like it, however, I agree with Maul that its way too bright inside the ride.
    Compared to most FL dark rides, its not really that dark at all.

On sunny days, the rides in FL work even better because your eyes aren't adjusted.
    The Mermaid building might be cooler than the ride itself...

I like it too. It's fun!

My family loves this ride everytime me and my sister go on this ride she is singing as loud as she can and she is 18

Needs to be close to 2 minutes longer. Could have had more of some of the scenes & songs.

DCA really, really needs 2-3 more Fantasyland-style dark rides based on classic Disney properties. Don't really know which ones could be shoe-horned into the whole 'California' theme. (101 dalmatians? Bambi? Aladdin?)

• Closed Account

I like the Little Mermaid story but this ride is too bright and lacks anything new in terms of technology. Same thing with Monster's Inc. I love these stories but what is the point of doom buggies painted as shells and ghosts replaced with fish and a happier song? I want new stories but I also want them told in NEW WAYS! That should be the golden rule for ride development with Disney from here on out if they really want to compete with Universal.

• Oh, I just LOVE your hat!

I think its cute, but certainly not the best dark ride out there. I ride it A LOT though when I'm at DCA. When its a walk-on, it's a great way to get off the feet for a few minutes.
    Because Bert Said So!

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Needs to be close to 2 minutes longer. Could have had more of some of the scenes & songs.

DCA really, really needs 2-3 more Fantasyland-style dark rides based on classic Disney properties. Don't really know which ones could be shoe-horned into the whole 'California' theme. (101 dalmatians? Bambi? Aladdin?)
    But then, Little Mermaid isn't exactly themed to California either.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

If you can walk right on, it's worth it for that, for me. Not much else: it's more stylistic and advanced than Monsters, Inc. I do enjoy the bit with Floatsem and Jetsem, and the Ursula AA is very fancy and I enjoy that (for the 10 - 15 seconds you see her).

Other than that, fairly bland, sadly: you can see they sunk some money in for tech elements, and it's pleasant enough, but not something I get excited about. They could have pushed the limits of a dark ride in terms of subject and guest involvement: you get instead the Cliff's Notes version, not a involving experience like Peter Pan or Toad that has the very hard-to-capture element of charm or whimsy.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    ^ I agree! Even if Monsters Inc. makes no sense thematically and its animatronics are no where near as advanced as TLM, I like it much better. I think it boils down to the fact that it does a better job at immersing the Guest into the world of Monstropolis, the very thing that I felt like TLM failed to accomplish with its world. Although, I will admit that I really like the part when you go "under the sea"-- that was pretty clever, though no where near as genius as the idea presented in the DVD ride.
    ITA with this too..I actually think Monsters Inc. is very well done. I love the theming on the 'terminal' and the way the guests are drawn into the world.

I guess that is what separates TLM from all the other dark rides for me. With all of the other older dark rides - Monsters Inc, Peter Pan, Toad, Snow White, Alice, etc. - I feel as though I'm being drawn into their world and immersed in the story.

In Little Mermaid, in contrast, I feel as though I'm driving down the street and looking at someone's Christmas lights on their lawn. It's beautifully rendered. It has some cute moments. It doesn't grab me the way the others do. It isn't about technology, it's about the way it's designed. Toad is done with mostly flat cutouts and it is infinitely more engaging IMHO.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    I'm in the group of people that don't really like the attraction. I was ecstatic when I heard about it-- I really, really love the Fantasyland dark rides and was stoked for another. If my memory serves correct, Star Tours: The Adventures Continue and TLM were opening around the same time in the summer of 2011 and I was way more excited for TLM.

I was very disappointed because it really doesn't offer the same immersion as the other dark rides, it's more of a passive experience. I think both the design of the ride and their choice of ride vehicle really hurt the final product, because I love the original idea.

The Little Mermaid Ride - YouTube

^ Now this feels like a classic Disney dark ride.
    This^

I don't think that the omnimover works well for the attraction, and I feel it is sort of a cop out. WDI has been having problems with Paradise Pier for a long time because you wait 45 minutes for a couple of turns in a . . . ferris wheel.

They wanted to even out the averages and put in a higher quality ride, but more importantly, you wouldn't have to wait long for it (and hence wouldn't feel like you got ripped off). So, they went with the omnimover which is relatively fast loading BUT it sure ain't as fast as Pirates or Small World.

The trade off is that you feel like you're on a ride with a bunch of other guests, instead of having a special personalized experience. This isn't the Haunted Mansion, you can see the guests in the neighboring clamshells due to high light levels. PLUS the clamshell cuts of half the view. Too bad they didn't decorate everything and have a more open ride vehicle.

The audioanimatronic Ariel and Ursula are good, but everything else is pretty cheap. I know they want it to be "just" a dark ride, but the story and flow isn't as good as Peter Pan and every other classic dark ride in Disneyland. Even worse the massive show building hints at a bigger ride.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    I would have to say it is a good attraction. I would give it a C. My problems with it (at DCA) is the ride moves too fast so you don't get to listen songs or see it all/intake it, also the end of the ride is missing the whole defeating Ursala scene and you go from almost kissing to the magic kiss which misses a good half hour movie of Ariels expirancing the human world and also her love story with prince Erik. If you have sean the original idea for the attraction from the DVD extras (you can see it on Youtube) that would have been a much more interesting ride than the one we got. The attraction now is a solid clasic Fantasyland attraction for it does not show the whole story but it seams to me that the whole defeating the villian would have warrented a scene atleast and not just a backgroung reference. I don't think they can doing anything now even after bulding it at WDW. I think of room restriction at DCA caused the missing of the scene but I would suport an expantion of the current expantion on both coasts. (I would have not minded two different rides on different costs...just saying)
    Personally, I think the ride moves too slowly, and the big "Under the Sea" scene doesn't have a lot of details outside of plastic fish and flat metal cut to look like seaweed.

I don't get why the ride uses 3 Screens?!

1. Ariel above guests at beginning
    2. Ariel gets her feet/transformation
    3. Ariel kisses Eric and get her voice

Plus in the background a convulsing Ursula cut out of sheet metal or something.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I guess that is what separates TLM from all the other dark rides for me. With all of the other older dark rides - Monsters Inc, Peter Pan, Toad, Snow White, Alice, etc. - I feel as though I'm being drawn into their world and immersed in the story.

In Little Mermaid, in contrast, I feel as though I'm driving down the street and looking at someone's Christmas lights on their lawn. It's beautifully rendered. It has some cute moments. It doesn't grab me the way the others do. It isn't about technology, it's about the way it's designed. Toad is done with mostly flat cutouts and it is infinitely more engaging IMHO.
    ^Bullseye.

I also feel that Mermaid is just a display, like the ones they put on Main Street, you don't feel like you're on an adventure. Been on Toad hundred of times, and the ride still gets my adrenaline going a little bit and I get lost in that world. Mermaid is weird because Ariel and the other figures basically don't acknowledge the presence of the guests, until the weird wavy scene at the end.

Interestingly, you don't see Toad on Toad much because you *are* Toad, they didn't have Snow White on Snow White when it opened because the guest was supposed to be Snow White.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast