Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: Am I the only one who likes the Little Mermaid ride?

It's my favorite! Yes, there are aspects about the ride that could be better, but that doesn't change the way I feel every time I ride it, which is that it takes me into the world of one of my absolute favorite fairy tales and films with some of the best music ever. I wouldn't trade that feeling for anything.

• Foolish Mortal

I like it. Although I did have some crazy expectation for something extravagant but it's better than nothing.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

I love this ride! Firstly The Little Mermaid is my biggest childhood favorite movie so I'm pre disposed into liking it. I love that there's no line (practically ever) because it was made to get everyone on the ride immediately. I love that we're taken "under water" and then we rise to shore when Ariel becomes human. The one thing I wanted was to actually have the Ursula death scene but I understand why that was trashed.
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." ~ Walt Disney

• Sock Puppet

Nice for the minimal wait!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I like the ride because the line is sort and the songs are still great after 20+ years...sure its not an E ticket but I like it for what is is...a people eater

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    But it does fit the theme of the pier, which fits in Ca.
    The building that it's in does. Other than that, it's a Dutch mermaid on a CA pier.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Little Nemo fits DCA
    What does Nemo have to do with CA?
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    The Little Mermaid Ride - YouTube

^ Now this feels like a classic Disney dark ride.
    Wow, I love this version! It does seem like it would be a little intense for kids, but it still seems like a far superior ride to the one they have currently.

• Sock Puppet

It's water under the bridge for me. ....

• Selfie Expert

I enjoy the ride. It reminds me of Fantasyland - I don't ride those rides for a thrill. They're great to just sit back and enjoy.

It gives me a nostalgic feeling even though it's new.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor View Post
    Wow, I love this version! It does seem like it would be a little intense for kids, but it still seems like a far superior ride to the one they have currently.
    I think a little bit of darkness is a basic characteristic of a good dark ride-- all of the classic dark rides in Fantasyland have some considerably sinister and dark moments to them that create a better sense of depth and establish the multiple layers of story (maybe minus Pan-- the most sinister part of that one is the wait to ride time ratio). TLM feels very one-dimensional, it really could have benefited from a better mix of light and dark moments to create a better sense of adventure which, although mentioned in the attraction's official name, is absent in the final product. I don't feel any sense of "adventure" on the attraction, just passively watching Ariel and her undersea friends looking bright and colorful, like Malina's brilliant description of looking at Christmas lights. That's not enough to create a memorable or interesting experience.

More importantly, the ride system in the DVD version was miles better than the Omniover system, whose flaws have already been mentioned-- there's a disconnect from the action, an impersonal feeling that's conveyed when so many other Guests are passing through, and a restricting feeling from the limited range of vision and motion resulting in, again, not feeling like you're part of the story but like you're passing through watching the story, admiring the colors and characters but not really interacting with the world. Again, I refer to Malina's comparison to looking at Christmas lights. It's colorful, it's nice, but it isn't engaging. The Omnimover system works well for some attractions (most prominently Haunted Mansion), but it fails here. Yes, wait times would have been longer with the originally proposed suspended model, but quite frankly, I would rather wait thirty to forty minutes for a good attraction than walk on to a mediocre one. I think that even the ride as it is right now would have seemed more immersive and exciting with a change in ride vehicle. Combine that with a better range of light and dark moments and more detailed and open environments that immerse the Guest into the world and you could have a truly excellent dark ride. Unfortunately, the final product that DCA received wasted that potential.

I really love it. When we were in Anaheim for 6 days we went at least every day on it haha

Sure, it could have been better, mostly the quick ending but what couldn't be better? This was never supposed to be a big E-Ride or something.

I want to throw my hat in to this one as well. I've never understood why everyone has such strong dislike for this ride. The gripe always centers around the ending it would seem. A better question is does not one "get" this ride? WDI made it clear from the beginning that the focus here was the MUSIC, not the STORY. Think music video that you ride through. What classic songs come after Kiss the Girl in the movie? Yeah - none. For what they were going for, they totally nailed it. Sure, you may not like the approach they wanted, but I still think it's a bit refreshing over the general "book report" approach of your typical Fantasyland dark ride.

I was thrilled to have the ride migrate east to the Magic Kingdom. It's a very nice addition to the park - one that it sorely needed. Is it my favorite? Absolutely not - not even close. But I really do enjoy it. Granted the past few times I was in the park I didn't ride it because I wasn't motivated to walk "all the way back there" - a problem much more centered around laziness than commentary on quality.

My biggest problem with the ride? I got so used to riding it while waiting for my Radiator Springs Racers FastPass time to come that the first time I rode it at MK, I got off SO excited thinking "Hooray! It's finally time" and then realized where I was.

Turn your favorite Disney CM into your NEW favorite collectible souvenir!
    Fully customizable hair & eye color, gender and even your name on the nametag!

Contact Createamations for details, and don't forget to visit us on Facebook for more!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345