Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Nerd

Due to an error Cruella De Vil Disney Dollars Pulled from Inventory

The Cruella De Vil Disney Dollars that were just issued have been pulled from inventory. If you bought any, hang onto the them. They might end up being worth some real money. I don't know why they have been pulled but speculation was that Cruella has a cigarette and that's not proper. New ones will be issued, but they won't be the "originals"
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Team Hail HYDRA

Re: Due to an error Cruella De Vil Disney Dollars Pulled from Inventory

wow that is interesting

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Minion

Does Cruella still carry her 'smoking stick thing' around the park. I know she has in the past, but I'm not sure if she still does now.

• Banned User

Boy, stuff like this is so dumb. If the character smokes, the characters smokes. The film was made back in 1961, when people smoked like chimneys. But even if it wasn't, THAT'S THE CHARACTER. She's a villain, after all. She probably also burps, farts, doesn't eat her vegetables, and doesn't look both ways before crossing the street, either. Kids are not going to emulate Cruella de Vil, and anyone who thinks they will is a complete idiot.

But hey, way to make an item collectible.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    'smoking stick thing'
    A cigarette holder, less-frequently known as a quellazaire, is a fashion accessory, a slender tube in which a cigarette is held for smoking. Most frequently made of silver, jade or bakelite (popular in the past but now wholly replaced by modern plastics), cigarette holders were considered an essential part of ladies' fashion from the mid-1910s through the early-1970s, and are still widely popular accessories in many aspects of Japanese fashion. The holder was also used as a practical accessory, as before the advent of filtered cigarettes in the 1960s, the holder would encase a filter. Though modern cigarettes are generally manufactured with an existing filter, filtered cigarette holders are still used as a secondary filtration system, and to prevent nicotine staining of the fingers.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Boy, stuff like this is so dumb. If the character smokes, the characters smokes. The film was made back in 1961, when people smoked like chimneys. But even if it wasn't, THAT'S THE CHARACTER. She's a villain, after all. She probably also burps, farts, doesn't eat her vegetables, and doesn't look both ways before crossing the street, either. Kids are not going to emulate Cruella de Vil, and anyone who thinks they will is a complete idiot.
    Yup. Sadly, it's to be expected. This is the company that butchered a song sequence in the "Pecos Bill" segment of Melody Time to remove a reference to Bill smoking a cigarette, erased Goucho Goofy's cigar in Saludos Amigos, and deleted the "Martins & Coys" segment from the Make Mine Music DVD. (Of course, in none of these "Gold Classic Collection" and "restored" DVDs did they warn the customer that the product is not the same as the original film.)
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Yup. Sadly, it's to be expected. This is the company that butchered a song sequence in the "Pecos Bill" segment of Melody Time to remove a reference to Bill smoking a cigarette, erased Goucho Goofy's cigar in Saludos Amigos, and deleted the "Martins & Coys" segment from the Make Mine Music DVD. (Of course, in none of these "Gold Classic Collection" and "restored" DVDs did they warn the customer that the product is not the same as the original film.)
    I can understand them making these edits for TV versions (I think it's still stupid but I understand why they do it, although I never needed that "protection" when I was a kid; I guess something happened in the 1980s and kids magically became brainless or something), but to edit the DVD versions is just heresy. At least Warner Bros. never did that with the Looney Tunes.

I sure hope they didn't mess with the original negative.

• Seasick

No surprise they would pull these, as Disney made the decision to not have characters smoke in any of their movies.

At least one movie, Pinocchio was not altered, but there is a warning on the DVD before the movie.

I understand the reasoning of not wanting to promote an unhealthy habit, but I think it should be a creative decision for filmmakers. The reality is that people smoke, and therefore characters in movies may smoke. Portraying smoking on film is not an endorsement.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

I hate political correctness. I know most of you will disagree, but I think this is stupid.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    No surprise they would pull these, as Disney made the decision to not have characters smoke in any of their movies.

At least one movie, Pinocchio was not altered, but there is a warning on the DVD before the movie.

I understand the reasoning of not wanting to promote an unhealthy habit, but I think it should be a creative decision for filmmakers. The reality is that people smoke, and therefore characters in movies may smoke. Portraying smoking on film is not an endorsement.
    I agree with not having characters smoke in new movies. Altering 65-year-old classics to conform with today's health standards is another matter.

The sad thing about the Disney Classics is that with the original filmmakers dead, the marketeers running the company are free to do whatever they want with the films -- including foisting them on the public as "restored," when in fact they have been edited to be marketable to the kiddie-and-parent sales demographic.

One wonders how long it will be until Cruella De Vil disappears entirely from the Disney Villain character lineup, branded as unacceptable by Disney's marketing machine because she is a mass murderer of dogs.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-18-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Hooterville, USA

Always trying to rewrite history.

Our history is who we are.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I hate political correctness. I know most of you will disagree, but I think this is stupid.
    It's not so much being PC, but it's being more conscious that a company as large as Disney should no longer endorse something that is widely known to kill thousands and thousands of people a year, including Walt Disney. I understand that smoking was the norm when the movie was made, but it's no longer in good taste to display it if they don't have to. I'm not saying that her smoking on a dollar would cause any children to smoke, but it's definitely not in good taste in 2013.
    Jeff Wayne

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    It's not so much being PC, but it's being more conscious that a company as large as Disney should no longer endorse something that is widely known to kill thousands and thousands of people a year, including Walt Disney. I understand that smoking was the norm when the movie was made, but it's no longer in good taste to display it if they don't have to. I'm not saying that her smoking on a dollar would cause any children to smoke, but it's definitely not in good taste in 2013.
    Which makes sense, as Mr. Wiggins stated, when you're making NEW films, but it makes NO sense at all when you're releasing classic films that may have some content that, if presented as new today, would not be considered socially acceptable.

Most modern audiences know, when they are seeing a classic film, that they are seeing a film made several years ago, and that the society of that time period was very different than today's. The problem is that Disney marketing incorrectly assumes that a film made by Disney (particularly an animated film) in, say, 1948, is equal to a film made by Disney in 2008. This is insane. 1948 America was vastly different from 2008 America, in innumerable ways, and films are products of the time periods in which they are made. While we may have films that are described as "timeless classics" every so often, that's usually in reference to the story, not to the actual film production (this is one reason why remakes exist).

Again, when showing some of these "questionable content" Disney films, if Disney elects to make some edits for TV broadcast, while I don't like it much, I can understand the thought process behind it, and I don't have a major issue with it. However, when committed to DVD or Blu-Ray and sold (whether to parents who wish to use the TV as a babysitter or to Disney film enthusiasts), altering the film to conform to modern day social sensibilities is improper and a bad business move. If Disney were to release original cuts of these films but with simple, unobtrusive notifications (packaging labels or before-the-show notices) that the films are presented in their original unedited forms, and may contain scenes some may take offense to, that's sufficient (and that includes no on-screen "don't do this at home" flashing warnings like we got on the Disneyland USA DVD - that was bloody annoying). The company protects itself from any frivolous lawsuits, film collectors and other purists get their long-beloved film in its original form, and parents who might freak out if their kid saw somebody, animated or real, smoking on-screen can take whatever action they deem appropriate, including not buying the DVD/Blu-Ray in question.

•   
    • Minion

I don't like the term "politically correct" at all - most of the time so-called PC is just showing respect for others.

In this case, I fully understand why Disney won't show it in any of their films- good for them. I also can see why they wouldn't want the face character of Cruella to walk around with a cigarette in the park but to change the film/etc. is silly. It was made 50 years ago and it is what it is. Characters in the old films smoked - and even then it was usually depicted as a vice (doesn't Jiminy Cricket yell at Pinocchio when he smokes?), not something for a child to emulate.
    Last edited by Malina; 01-18-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I agree with not having characters smoke in new movies. Altering 65-year-old classics to conform with today's health standards is another matter.

The sad thing about the Disney Classics is that with the original filmmakers dead, the marketeers running the company are free to do whatever they want with the films -- including foisting them on the public as "restored," when in fact they have been edited to be marketable to the kiddie-and-parent sales demographic.

One wonders how long it will be until Cruella De Vil disappears entirely from the Disney Villain character lineup, branded as unacceptable by Disney's marketing machine because she is a mass murderer of dogs.
    Once PETA gets involved, Disney will surely bow down and do away with Ms. DeVille and her evil ways

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast