Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: "Escape from Tomorrow" movie filmed in Disneyland secretly

Quote Originally Posted by bwillard View Post

After the film the director and three of the actors had a Q & A session. It was my impression that they did not "bring the film to Sundance to sell". He actually mentioned that he was surprised to be invited to Sundance and thought that the festival was more commercial. He was asked several times if he would be willing to "give the film away" in order to get it released and he said that he would. He got the money to make the film from his grandparents.

It is a very weird toward the end and I would really like to see it again. There was all kinds of strangeness involving using his imagination and the Siemens Corporation (all under the Epcot ball before it exploded). It is definitely not a film for Disney's target audience. Hopefully it gets a small, quiet direct to DVD release so that those who want to see it can and those who don't can ignore it.

Sorry for the long ramble. I can finally contribute to the boards! If you have any questions about the film I can try to answer them.
    Good review. For a guy to just make a movie for his own enjoyment, I wonder what his actual plans are. He seems to have created a stir.

I wonder how much special effects were used to blow up the Epcot ball.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    He said they were in the shot for 2-3 seconds. That's enough to recognize a face for me. So this may be different for each person. And he said park guests were bing grabbed in the film, but that it happened "so fast". Editing could have added to that. I doesn't really matter how fast it was. Thats somebody's daughter, sister or girlfriend and you shouldn't grab anyone not privy to the situation, period.
    This.

It also doesn't absolve the filmmaker of the requirement to get permission from those who were on camera. The crowds in "Modern Family" couldn't be picked out of a lineup. They were still informed and gave consent to be on camera. Most people in studio audience are only on camera for a second. They still are informed and give consent. Most paid extras in films, including those who earn SAG scale, are never seen - same thing.

• a wind to shake the stars

Thanks to bwillard for the review, that's interesting. I'm excited to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Not when we have confirmation from the filmmaker who has stated in interviews that guests and cast members were seen on camera, interacting with the actors in the film.
    Did you even read his review? The one person in this thread who has actually seen the film says that many of the criticisms here are unwarranted. He said extras were in the shot for 2-3 seconds max, in the background, and that he couldn't recognize them or remember them even if he had actively been attempting to.

I think in general there's a desire to push rules onto this film that don't necessarily need to apply. SAG rates for people at Disneyland who happened to be in the background, really? I mean, in general this whole thing has spawned a very interesting conversation about fair use, copyright, guerilla filmmaking, and several other topics, which makes it compelling even beyond the actual content of the film itself.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    Did you even read his review? The one person in this thread who has actually seen the film says that many of the criticisms here are unwarranted. He said extras were in the shot for 2-3 seconds max, in the background, and that he couldn't recognize them or remember them even if he had actively been attempting to.
    I did read his review. It's your choice to take anonymous internet posts as truth. It's my choice not to.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• -

He said extras were in the shot for 2-3 seconds max, in the background, and that he couldn't recognize them or remember them even if he had actively been attempting to.
    You left out the part where he also confirmed that employees were interacted with on camera and that unsuspecting park goers were grabbed on camera.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I did read his review. It's your choice to take anonymous internet posts as truth. It's my choice not to.
    Gosh, I wish. If that were the case I'd easily be able to ignore all of the anonymous handwringing in this thread, but alas...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    You left out the part where he also confirmed that employees were interacted with on camera and that unsuspecting park goers were grabbed on camera.
    Those who accept the review as truth also assume that the reviewer knew for a fact who in the film were paid actors and extras, and who were guests.

Gosh, I wish. If that were the case I'd easily be able to ignore all of the anonymous handwringing in this thread, but alas...
    That's also your choice.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• -

Those who accept the review as truth also assume that the reviewer knew for a fact who in the film were paid actors and extras, and who were guests.
    Very true. And they continue to ignore that the contrary has been confirmed by the scummy filmmaker and his lead actor while they selectively accept the reviewer's perspective as gospel. I'm sure if 10 people reviewed the film, there would be 10 different perspectives on how identifiable people were.

And it really doesn't matter how identifiable they were. If they were interacted with in the film, they should have been given the opportunity to give their informed consent.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

That is very true! I'm not 100% sure who was an actor and who was an "extra". There was a scene where the daughter was grabbing items from a cart and begging her mother to buy them. Her mother kept telling her to put them back. Eventually the mother lost control and slapped her daughter. The camera focused on what looked to be a Castmember to see his reaction. I have no idea if that was an actor or an "extra".

I guess what I am saying is that I can see both sides of the argument. The interesting thing would be to hear from someone that could positively identify themself in the movie and weren't aware that they were in the movie. I would LOVE to hear their take!

If you watch the YouTube trailer (which is actually just a clip from the movie) you will see a lot of "extras". This is about as detailed of look as you get with the "extras" in the film.

I'm also pretty sure that when you purchase a ticket and enter the park somewhere in the fine print it mentions that you may be filmed and used for Disney advertising purposes. I know that the filmmaker isn't Disney but it does set up the argument that fair use would apply since you would be assume that you are going to be filmed.

I don't remember signing a waiver on Splash Mountain or Space Mountain but I did see my image on a screen without my express written consent. Do you ever wonder what happens to all of the pictures on the rides when they scroll off the screens?

I'm not trying to start an argument but this is an interesting topic!
    Last edited by bwillard; 01-29-2013 at 04:04 PM.

I just took a look at the cast and crew on IMDB. It looks like several of the Castmembers were actually actors.

Thanks so much for posting your review here! I agree that this is an incredibly interesting intersection of art, copyright, technology, and Disney and I'm glad someone agrees without immediately decrying the whole thing as "creepy" or "scummy" and calling for the director's head.

• Special Agent

Thanks so much for posting your review here! I agree that this is an incredibly interesting intersection of art, copyright, technology, and Disney and I'm glad someone agrees without immediately decrying the whole thing as "creepy" or "scummy" and calling for the director's head.
    This popped up on my feed yesterday and I felt it was strangely relevant to this discussion:

NPR: What It Feels Like To Be Photographed In A Moment Of Grief

• Minion

I think bwillard wrapped it all up quite nicely. You all can calm down now

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It was just said that this was not in the movie. These parts were obviously edited out. I mean you have a person who saw the film first hand and you are still arguing about it.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bwillard View Post
    I'm also pretty sure that when you purchase a ticket and enter the park somewhere in the fine print it mentions that you may be filmed and used for Disney advertising purposes. I know that the filmmaker isn't Disney but it does set up the argument that fair use would apply since you would be assume that you are going to be filmed.

I don't remember signing a waiver on Splash Mountain or Space Mountain but I did see my image on a screen without my express written consent. Do you ever wonder what happens to all of the pictures on the rides when they scroll off the screens?

I'm not trying to start an argument but this is an interesting topic!
    You do consent to be filmed and photographed for Disney and BY Disney...not by anyone with a camera inside the park who is taping you for commercial purposes.

As to the argument about SAG rates for extras - that's how it works. On some movies you're allowed to use non-SAG extras AFTER you've hired a certain number of union ones (and again those are people who consent and are paid). Anyone who talks or is featured on camera has to be SAG and getting union scale rates or higher. It's how it is. And out of 100 extras hired you'll maybe see 10 on camera - it doesn't change the fact they're all consenting paid employees.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast