Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• We Go On.

Re: "Escape from Tomorrow" movie filmed in Disneyland secretly

That's not an older monorail model. You can tell by the shape of the windows that it is a Mark VI, currently in service at WDW. They filmed this at WDW, not Disneyland.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Grin Without a Cat View Post
    I too would like to see this film...
    We can only hope that for once in their miserable corporate lives, the Disney lawyers will do the right thing and not call on their bloated pet python that is all of the grotesquely archaic trademark laws.
    It's not Disney that needs to do the right thing, it's this guy who should have done the right thing from the beginning and gone through proper channels when he made his illegal film.

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    They filmed this at WDW, not Disneyland.
    The Times article said it was filmed at both locations.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• some assembly required

We cannot rely on The Times to tell us which parks since they CONSTANTLLLLY mix the two parks up (something that really peeves me out, oh well).

This film was not made to make money directly. The making of this film was/is an investment in his career. The pay-off will come down the road after this publicity stunt blows over (and that could keep him relevant for years as we all know legal stuff takes a while to work itself out). Broken rules etc., I still want to see it b/c I am a fan of the parks and I do find it very interesting that he was able to get away with it. Even if it doesn't pay off in $$$, he still gets a footnote in the history books.

Disney must play this the right way so that it doesn't backfire on them, something that was suggested in the article too, and mentioned in this thread by other MCers. It will find its' way to the web, I'm sure.

For those that seem like they're almost insulted that this film was completed, just keep in mind that every post you make adds up. It is after all, what this guy wanted from the film.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Minion

Forgive me if I'm wrong, or it someone with more legal can shed some light, but I believe he cannot sell this film or make any money off of it if it was shot on Disney property. Is this correct? I heard somewhere once that if you take a picture in Disneyland, lets say of the Haunted Mansion, you cannot sell that image without getting permission from Disney?
    Jeff Wayne

• Minion

I would really love to see this!

My guess is, that as long as he doesn't make any money off it (which he won't if it doesn't get distributed, and he doesn't seem to be pushing for it) that it's no worse than a tourist's home movies.

legal jargon aside, i appreciate the man's independent attitude. he had an idea & went for it. good for him. who knows if the film is any good, but i look forward to seeing it. i think we could all benefit if more people had this kind of creative spirit & wouldn't get so offended by such trivial things!
    Last edited by thedustycoyote; 01-20-2013 at 01:03 PM.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, or it someone with more legal can shed some light, but I believe he cannot sell this film or make any money off of it if it was shot on Disney property. Is this correct? I heard somewhere once that if you take a picture in Disneyland, lets say of the Haunted Mansion, you cannot sell that image without getting permission from Disney?
    If that was the case, there's alotta fan sites out there that are doing something wrong... and I tread lightly on this topic on purpose considering where I am posting! LOL.

It is a civil case, I'm pretty sure Disney would have to go to court to stop the distribution. And I think the same would be said for the fan sites out there that make money by posting updates within the parks. Disney wont bother with them most of the time, but this guy painted a huge target on his back (esp. when he tried to sell it at the festival).
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    If that was the case, there's alotta fan sites out there that are doing something wrong... and I tread lightly on this topic on purpose considering where I am posting! LOL.

It is a civil case, I'm pretty sure Disney would have to go to court to stop the distribution. And I think the same would be said for the fan sites out there that make money by posting updates within the parks. Disney wont bother with them most of the time, but this guy painted a huge target on his back (esp. when he tried to sell it at the festival).
    Actually criticism, comment, news reporting are protected under the Fair Use Act. The selling of artwork is not. So sites posting updates are fine.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by thedustycoyote View Post
    legal jargon aside, i appreciate the man's independent attitude. he had an idea & went for it. good for him. who knows if the film is any good, but i look forward to seeing it. i think we could all benefit if more people had this kind of creative spirit & wouldn't get so offended by such trivial things!
    I don't know if I appreciate the independent attitude. What if I shadowed your family for a film and put it up for display at Sundance? Would you like it? I imagine the unsuspecting "extras" probably do not.
    No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    I don't know if I appreciate the independent attitude. What if I shadowed your family for a film and put it up for display at Sundance? Would you like it? I imagine the unsuspecting "extras" probably do not.
    You can say the same for almost any documentary that has ever been made. This argument is moot to me.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    The situation with the extras is really what bothers me about this. He wants to break the rules and film somewhere where it's not permitted for commercial use? It's not the first time it's been done, but whooo, go be a rebel, whatever. Exploit innocent people and con them into being your unpaid labor force? That's something with which I have issues.

Indie filmmakers with integrity and ethics pay their extras and, you know, let them know they're actually being used as extras.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    You can say the same for almost any documentary that has ever been made. This argument is moot to me.
    Even in a documentary or a reality show - and I have personal experience with this one - you have to sign a release form for your likeness to be used if you are in the shot, and you have to be fully informed that filming is taking place. Even if you're walking by the filming in a mall and you are not technically on the set, but are near it, there's always a sign saying "we are filming _____ here; if you stay you are consenting to be filmed for this project. If you don't want to be on camera please go away." If you ever watch some reality shows, like the one about pageants, you will notice some people have their faces blocked out. Those are the folks who didn't consent to be a part of it.

So this is a huge breach of ethics on the filmmaker's part.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    That's true. Disney has to approve of any commercial filming or photos that are taken in the parks.
    Last edited by Malina; 01-20-2013 at 07:45 PM.

• Banned User

The biggest issue here is that an independent film was made, using guerrilla filmmaking methods, on Disney property.

Obviously, there will be opinions on both sides here because of that. Some say he should have gotten permission, like most professional filmmakers would do, others applaud his ingenuity at bypassing the entire process of obtaining permission, in pursuit of his artistic vision (regardless of whether or not one agrees with that vision).

Legally, sure, given not only the filmmaker's deliberate avoidance of obtaining official permission but also the film's content, it's very unlikely, given Disney's (in)famous legal department, that the film will ever see the light of day through any traditional (i.e., moneymaking) distribution methods (its best option is for the filmmaker to simply release it online for free).

But guerrilla filmmaking itself is not necessarily improper (although it might sometimes skirt minor legalities), and it has resulted in some very good films, and helped to create careers.

Guerrilla filmmaking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, directed by Melvin Van Peebles, was funded and distributed outside of the Hollywood system and broke conventions with its visual style, as well as its content.

Spike Lee's She's Gotta Have It was a guerrilla film on a budget of $175,000 which made $7,137,502 at the box office. This highly stylized film received much acclaim. It was Spike Lee's first feature length film and inspired Spike Lee to write the book Spike Lee's Gotta Have It: Inside Guerrilla Filmmaking.

----------------

Robert Rodriguez shot the action film El Mariachi in Spanish, inspired by John Woo films. El Mariachi, which was shot for around $7,000 with money partially raised by volunteering in medical research studies, won the Audience Award at the Sundance Film Festival in 1992. The film, originally intended for the Spanish-language low-budget home-video market, was distributed by Columbia Pictures in the United States. Rodriguez described his experiences making the film in his book Rebel Without a Crew. The book and film inspired legions of hopeful filmmakers to pick up cameras and make no-budget movies.

Pi, directed by Darren Aronofsky, was made on a relatively low budget of $60,000. It proved to be a financial success at the box office ($3.2 million gross in the U.S.) despite only a limited release to theaters. Aronofsky raised money for the project by selling $100 shares in the film to family and friends, and was able to pay them all back with a $50 profit per-share when the film was sold to Artisan.

-----------

Looking For Kitty is a 2004 written, directed, and starring Edward Burns. The film was shot with a hand held $3,000 digital Panasonic AG-DVX100 camera with a Mini35 adapter. The film's entire budget was $200,000[3][4] and was filmed in New York City with a tiny crew and without standard permits. Burns discussed this unusual film-making process in the director's commentary on the DVD.

------------

Paranormal Activity directed by first time director Oren Peli and filmed in his house with one camera for a budget of just $15,000 most of which he said was spent on "a camera and new furniture". It went on to make a gross revenue of $153,469,744

Still, it's generally not recommended to avoid obtaining filming permits, especially on private property. But the reality of guerrilla filmmaking is that sometimes, shots have to be "stolen" (unauthorized). Depending on the film and the shots in question, this may or may not affect a film project's chances at distribution.

POV-How to Become A Guerrilla Filmmaker

Legalities

We said before that the Guerrilla Filmmaker will sometimes break the little laws. What kinds of little laws? One big one is the law of getting permission to shoot something. This happens all the time.

One way to get around it is to get a release or permit. You can get release forms from any production handbook and permits usually from the municipality within which you shoot. But sometimes you have to steal shots and that's the way it is, although being a G-rated website we can't say we support that.

Also, a Guerrilla Filmmaker can look for places to film that don't require releases or permits. This in fact might be the easier, hassle-free way to go. Rather than seek to buck the system, work around it. See what you can get for free legally. This will apply to visuals and, as described already, music as well.

Staying legal is a good thing in case ultimately you happen to get a distributor who will hassle you endlessly to make sure you got all the rights cleared for your film. If you don't do this, or haven't done it, a distributor is less likely to acquire your film.

The press this fellow has gotten from entering his film at Sundance has more to do with Sundance attendees and attending journalists being impressed with his boldness and daring in avoiding the entire film permit process in order to film his movie in a Disney park (which is no doubt expensive, and can easily be denied - remember that National Lampoon's Vacation had to invent "Walley World" and "Roy Walley," even though the original story by John Hughes was about a 1958 trip to Disneyland). Most freely admit, as does the filmmaker, that it's very unlikely he'll get a distribution deal from this, which means it's very unlikely the film will ever be commercially available.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    go. Rather than seek to buck the system, work around it. See what you can get for free legally. This will apply to visuals and, as described already, music as well.

Too bad Nara Dreamland is closed since that would have been the *perfect* location for a film like this. The audience would continually be thinking "This isn't Disneyland? But it looks so much like Disneyland! Oh, my head!"

There are a lot of reviews of this film out there that go into rather spoilerish details about what's in it and what it's about. The curious should Google "escape from tomorrow review" to get an idea of what the original article meant by "grotesque behavior."
    Last edited by bigcatrik; 01-20-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast