Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

• Not on the Jedi Council

Re: "Escape from Tomorrow" movie filmed in Disneyland secretly

Ah, the review explains it was largely green-screened. Hmmm. It's easy enough, depending on the time of day, to get few people in your shots as you take them, and use the pics or shots as background plates.

But I can't imagine the filmmaker'll win the lawsuit on this. The article says Disney has already started one.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Indie filmmakers with integrity and ethics pay their extras and, you know, let them know they're actually being used as extras.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Even in a documentary or a reality show - and I have personal experience with this one - you have to sign a release form for your likeness to be used if you are in the shot, and you have to be fully informed that filming is taking place. Even if you're walking by the filming in a mall and you are not technically on the set, but are near it, there's always a sign saying "we are filming _____ here; if you stay you are consenting to be filmed for this project. If you don't want to be on camera please go away." If you ever watch some reality shows, like the one about pageants, you will notice some people have their faces blocked out. Those are the folks who didn't consent to be a part of it.

So this is a huge breach of ethics on the filmmaker's part.
    Bingo x2.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    What if I shadowed your family for a film and put it up for display at Sundance? Would you like it? I imagine the unsuspecting "extras" probably do not.
    Exactly. I suspect that the reviewers who are gushing over this guy's "artistry" (and who are no doubt secretly stoked that he punked the Disney Corporation) would be the first ones to call their lawyers if it happened to them.

An unethical miscreant with a camera is still an unethical miscreant, no matter how well he composes a shot and edits a scene. The "artiste" dodge is a load of bull.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-20-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    [...] I suspect that the reviewers who are gushing over this guy's "artistry" (and who are no doubt secretly stoked that he punked the Disney Corporation) would be the first ones to call their lawyers if it happened to them.
    If the general consensus is this film is bad, I can imagine seeing a thread started here, five years from now, asking how Disney let this film be made.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    If the general consensus is this film is bad, I can imagine seeing a thread started here, five years from now, asking how Disney let this film be made.
    I dunno. Its been about 5 years since the Haunted Mansion movie was made, and nobody asks how Disney let that one get done

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Exactly. I suspect that the reviewers who are gushing over this guy's "artistry" (and who are no doubt secretly stoked that he punked the Disney Corporation) would be the first ones to call their lawyers if it happened to them.

An unethical miscreant with a camera is still an unethical miscreant, no matter how well he composes a shot and edits a scene. The "artiste" dodge is a load of bull.
    Yup. And the fact is that there have been plenty of guerrilla and indie filmmakers who have managed to make films ethically. I can guarantee that Spike Lee wasn't secretly filming people on private property who hadn't consented to be in his movie or expecting anyone to work for free. The Blair Witch Project? Every little indie documentary? Ditto. Even little college freshmen film students are told over and over again about the necessity of waivers and release forms - even if they're sneaking around without permits they're making sure that all of their actors are consenting participants.

It's not edgy, unique or artistic to be unethical and unprofessional.

If Disney doesn't mash them with their lawsuit, any one of those people who were exploited as "extras" can finish the job - since they didn't sign release forms they can sue to be removed from the film, for damages, or for a cut of any profits the film makes. I'm sure a lot of them might be horrified to see their faces in a film about a skeevy man creeping on teenage girls.

• a wind to shake the stars

What's the difference between being photographed for this film and being photographed in the background of a Dateline Disneyland update?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    What's the difference between being photographed for this film and being photographed in the background of a Dateline Disneyland update?
    Two differences: One, you usually don't need a release to show someone in a news program. That covers Dateline Disneyland or any other news show.

Two: If someone tapes you or photographs you for anything that is going to be used in a commercial manner/used to benefit the maker that is not news reporting, they are required to a) get your permission, b) inform you how the recording will be used.

Example: if you happen to be filmed in the park by Disney or show up in a Disneyland brochure, Disney actually has a release form on file for you already. If you look at the ticket/terms of entry it says that by entering the park, you are consenting to be photographed or videotaped by Disney, for Disney related purposes. You know what Disney is about, you have knowledge of who is taping you and for what purpose, etc.

In the case of this film, that didn't happen. The people were not told they were being filmed by an outside party, they weren't told what it was about, and they were not given a chance to opt-out. They had not consented to be filmed by that filmmaker, who was not affiliated with Disney, for his commercial/artistic purposes. If their faces are seen on camera, this filmmaker violated their rights.

http://www.newmediarights.org/guides...deo_recordings

You need a release waiver when you are using another person's name, voice, signature, photograph (if readily identifiable), or likeness for exploitative purposes. Even if you have consent to initially record the person, you still need further consent to use or publish those recordings for exploitative purposes. A release waiver provides consent for how you intend to use the recordings.
    Under California law if you use a recording without a persons's consent when required, the punishment is $750, the actual amount of damages, or whichever is higher. Most states allow the person recorded to recover any amount or profits loss in connection caused by the recordings.

Last edited by Malina; 01-20-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Under California law if you use a recording without a persons's consent when required, the punishment is $750, the actual amount of damages, or whichever is higher. Most states allow the person recorded to recover any amount or profits loss in connection caused by the recordings.
    If lucky, he can point to certain sequences and say that they were shot in Florida.

Here's some behind-the-scenes footage.

I must say, that musical score (If it's used in the film) sounds more awesome than any Hollywood blockbuster I've seen recently!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fedora View Post
    If lucky, he can point to certain sequences and say that they were shot in Florida.
    It doesn't matter. Let's say one of the people in the background is from CA and happened to be in FL during the filming of this piece of garbage illegal movie. They would most likely bring suit in their home state of CA. The courts under most circumstances would apply CA law.

Disney is another story. They have the resources to bring suit in either state so they would most likely do some forum shopping to see which state's laws would best suit their needs. if it ends up being CA, agai under most circumstances the court would apply CA law.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    I dunno. Its been about 5 years since the Haunted Mansion movie was made, and nobody asks how Disney let that one get done
    You, obviously, missed last year's Del Toro's Haunted Mansion thread.

Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    Well he's probably going to be banned from the park now. If so, was it really worth it? And I wonder if Disney will add further restrictions or further scrutiny to park guests now concerning camera equipment.

It really bothers me when people abuse the parks just to try to make a buck. In the end, the guests that continue to go pay for their selfishness.
    Haven t seen the film so I don't know if it would be worth it....but I don't think its about a quick buck...I want to make many many films based of Disneyland because well it was a big part of my life and I can't because the park is owned by those who did not build it but wont allow one negative thing said against it....they have the legal ability but kinda ironic a places that is advertised as a place of dreams does not allow people to make movies based of there dreams

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fedora View Post
    That would be convenient, eh? Most states have similar laws on this issue, though; being filmed or photographed for commercial purposes, without your consent, falls under privacy rights. Florida also has a lot of TV and film shooting so I'm sure they're cognizant of the need for release forms there and have laws about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    You, obviously, missed last year's Del Toro's Haunted Mansion thread.

Nope! REALLY hope that he is allowed to do it his way and not make another family film disaster.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    So this guy is boobing about corporations, so he takes his indie film to Sundance to do what? Try to sell it to a major studio?
    Doesn't sound like it from the article.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It's not Disney that needs to do the right thing, it's this guy who should have done the right thing from the beginning and gone through proper channels when he made his illegal film.

The Times article said it was filmed at both locations.
    There have been some brilliant films made (Wizard of Speed and Time) made outside of legal channels. Let the film stand on it's own merits. If it is also brilliant, then it should get it's due. If not, then it will just fade away.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast