Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Re: What Disney attraction do you miss and what do you think of the replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Country Bear Jamboree- Pooh needs to either move to Fantasyland or get kicked out completely from Disneyland.
    I think you would find a HUGE majority, including myself, who agree with you. The ONLY reason to ride pooh, is to see Max, Buff, and Melvin.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

•   
    • Minion

Re: What Disney attraction do you miss and what do you think of the replacement?

I Miss the Matterhorn. It used to be one of my favorite attractions. The new version ruined it for me and now I ride it once a trip maybe.

I also miss the PM because the rocket rods sucked and nothing sucks even more

• 7/17/2005 I was there!

Like everyone, I too miss the Bear Country Jamboree and Pooh is well, you know what, so I'll go with:

Circle Vision I always liked The 360 degree screens and it was air conditioned and I thought the films were very well done.
    Buzz Lightyears AstroBlasters is fun and all but I'm not much of a Toy Story fan and I'm tired of Pixar in the parks. Like the Peoplemover, Rocket Rods is to blame once again.
    "Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the reach of time" Walt Disney

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I am holding out hope for WDI their works have been great lately and for the new President. I think in the next 3 years I think Tomorrowland will be fixed.

Either way I miss Rocket Rods. The concept was not bad, the problem was the fact that the track was not banked and the maintence. I don't think I heared anyone say that Rocket Rods itself was a bad idea. I only rode it once before it closed but think if WDI does it right and now they get a chance since the entire outdoor track would have to be replaced. I also miss Country everything else I am not old enough to remember.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Not an attraction per se. But I miss the paint job of Tomorrowland pre-1998. It's current color scheme I find to be aesthetically unpleasant. The metallic blue and white color scheme that they had in the 80's and early 90's felt more...tomorrowish.

• Foolish Mortal

the relaxing people mover for sure. i also miss the adventures through inner space experience, waiting in the queue and seeing the space mountain vehicles zip on by with their glow-in-the-dark side panel striping.

Wink Re: What Disney attraction do you miss and what do you think of the replacement?

This really dates me, but I miss the TWA (not Douglas) Rocket to the Moon.

When I was a kid in the 1950s, TWA was easily the most exciting airline to fly, with its voluptuous
    Super-G Constellations and exotic [for the 1950s] stewardesses. What a thrill it was to discover that in Disneyland TWA would take you all the way to the Moon, in a rocket with the same colorscheme, the same stewardesses, etc. It was a convincing blending of the real and the imaginary. You walked up through an "airport boarding ramp" through the apparent hatch of the rocket, and upon take-off you saw the Tomorrowland Spaceport disappearing beneath you. The captain and the crew behaved just as they would on TWA's Earthflights; I assume we weren't served drinks because in zero-grav they would float out of the glasses like bubbles.

The full-size
    Moonliner was breathtakingly beautiful, and easily the most striking signature piece of Disneyland next to Sleeping Beauty's Castle. [The tiny non-TWA toy atop the food court today is not even close.]

I suppose today's "replacement" is Space Mountain, which I find to be a head-wrenching, sound-blasting, rush-through nervejangle, with not the slightest intimation that one is really traveling to outer space. Star Tours much the same.

If TWA and its Moonliner had survived, perhaps it would today be accented with technology similar to that of Soarin' Over California, except in space. Oh, well, it was a blast until it passed!
    ______
    Rachane

the main street electrical parade, one of my fondest memories from disneyland as a child. i don't think i've sat down to watch a parade since that one left. i enjoyed it when it was at california adventure, & if it were to come back to disneyland i know i would still enjoy the heck out of it.

• Filmmaker

I've never thought The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh was a bad attraction, in fact it has a fair bit of charm in its own right. It just has the negative quality of being a somewhat cynical replacement to a beloved attraction. I get why people are still bitter, but I think the idea that the attraction itself is some kind of unspeakable horror to be a bit ridiculous.

Anyway, that's enough Pooh-apology for today. Onto the topic at hand:

While there's the laundry list of replaced or removed attractions that everyone always talks about the one that still stings the worst for me is Star Tours.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think The Adventures Continue is kind of a mess. It's not awful, but it trades the charm and tight pacing of the original for a scattershot barrage of disjointed fanservice. The randomizer is a good idea on paper, but in reality it effectively destroys the pacing of the attraction; by the very nature of the attraction the experience can't flow together with any sort of cohesion. Not only that, but someone also thought it'd be a good idea to go all out with prequel theming.

Star Tours 1.0 wasn't perfect, but it was a whole lot better than The Adventures Continue.

• La Reine Lézard

Rocket Rods was my favorite ride when I was little, and I was so sad when it was gutted. It was a genuinely fun ride, albeit a problematic one.

I loved the Mission Tortilla Factory and for some reason we went almost every time we went to DCA.

I know it isn't an attraction, but what I miss the most from the resort is the Paradise Pier/Sunshine Plaza loops from DCA. To me, those symbolized California and made me so happy. I loved listening to the organ covers of beach rock while riding on the carousel. I just really miss DCA 1.0, I guess.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fearmeloveme View Post
    I know it isn't an attraction, but what I miss the most from the resort is the Paradise Pier/Sunshine Plaza loops from DCA. To me, those symbolized California and made me so happy. I loved listening to the organ covers of beach rock while riding on the carousel. I just really miss DCA 1.0, I guess.
    I second this...so much! It's not DCA without that music. Call me crazy but I loved DCA 1.0. Such great memories there. Now it's DL 2...good park, but not the one my family grew up in, and where I have some of my best Disney memories.

• Pooloo See Bagoomba

Miss attractions from when I was young and a lot of those are from Tomorrowland. But so much has changed since then and I enjoy the replacements too.

So to minimize my list I'll just list replacements I feel miss the mark.

Innoventions.
    Dead space (Peoplemover track, Observatron, Motor Boat waterway).
    Light Magic (RIP).

And I have a "wait and see" on Fantasy Faire. I'm still not happy I can't visit that area for Fantasia ice cream.

• curiouser and curiouser

I also basically agree with everyone as well, and although I don't think Pooh is necessarily worse than a few other Fantasyland attractions, I do do miss CBJ. I can still experience it in Tokyo thou, even if it is in Japanese.
    I wasn't even born when BTM replaced Nature's Wonderland, but I imagine it as an even more awesome version of Knott's Calico Mine Ride, and I LOVE that ride, so I'm a little disappointed that they got rid of it.

I was born at the end of the 1960s, and my family started visiting Disneyland about once a year starting around 1975.

I feel nostalgic about attractions like the Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland and the Captain Hook Pirate Ship, but I only have vague memories of them.

Having said that, Big Thunder Mountain is a favorite ride both for myself and my family, and looking at pictures of Fantasyland in the 1970s, it doesn't look very attractive compared to the "new" Fantasyland that opened in 1982.

Among the attractions that I remember well, the ones I miss the most would be the transportation rides of Tomorrowland: the PeopleMover and the Skyway. I especially miss the previews of Tomorrowland attractions that the PeopleMover gave: peeking into the dark of Space Mountain and seeing the reflective stripes on the sides of the cars whizzing by and hearing the riders screaming, and looking down into the loading area of Adventure through Inner Space and the America the Beautiful theater.

I also miss the pre-1978 Matterhorn Bobsleds. I don't think they ever re-captured the aspect of racing against the bobsled on the other track (Fantasyland side vs. Tomorrowland side) after they joined two cars together to make the ride cycle faster. And the different designs of the cars reinforced that feeling of racing bobsleds.

It's funny to read about people who miss the pre-2012 version of the Matterhorn Bobsleds or Rocket Rods. No matter when an attraction was built, I think there will always be people nostalgic about it once it's no longer there. Someone I know visited the park as a child in the 60s, and one of her favorite attractions was the Monsato House of the Future, which doesn't look at all appealing to me.

I suspect, though, that if we were able to visit Disneyland of a certain year via a time machine, the attraction we remember so nostalgically (especially if we were young when we visited said attraction) wouldn't be nearly as wonderful as it seems in our memory.

• world class bilge rat

Maybe it's because I'm just a dumb country hick at heart, but I really miss the Country Bear Jamboree. Even though I actually like the Pooh ride, it's in the wrong place. It needs to move to Fantasyland and the Bears need to come back.

And by come back, I mean come back EXACTLY as they were, not some sort of 'new and improved' version of it.

I also miss Inner Space. That ride was just plain cool.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast