Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What Disney attraction do you miss and what do you think of the replacement?

Skyway - I absolutely LOVED this ride as a kid. Admittedly, due mostly to my dad yelling down "Hey, have you seen [mumble]" and watching folks chase after the cart. It always made me laugh!

Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse - While I understand that this attraction was obsolete, I still miss it. I don't think Tarzan holds any more relevance, but I understand the change.

Re: What Disney attraction do you miss and what do you think of the replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    Even though I actually like the Pooh ride, it's in the wrong place.
    I don't know that I agree about it belonging in Fantasyland, but it is definitely not placed appropriately. I have nicknamed it "the loneliest ride in Disneyland" because so many people miss it running to Splash, or they simply stop when they get to Haunted Mansion.

I took a HUGE group there one year on a trip. Ride operator "How many?" "23" "Really!?" "Yep!" "Wow, most people are just kidding when they say that."

• Disgruntled Former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Submarine Voyage thru Liquid Space. I think its replacement is an embarrassment to the creative standards of Disneyland in general, and Tomorrowland in particular.

Swiss Family Treehouse. I think its replacement is a blatant homage to the emotionless brand-marketeering that is the hallmark of the Eisger regime.

Country Bear Jamboree. What I think of its replacement isn't fit for posting on a family forum.
    What he said.

Submarine Voyage certainly needed to be brought into the New Millenium, but "Finding Nemo" belongs in a nice C-ticket attraction over in Fantasyland. I would have prefered that the old Phantom Boat lagoon was emptied, and the attraction had been built there...

Swiss Family Treehouse; loved the movie, miss the attraction.

Country Bear Jamboree had three differenct modes - "Original", "Vacation", and "Christmas", and they were all entertaining and charming.

I personally miss the PeopleMover; Tomorrowland just looks static and dead without it. I miss Carousel Of Progress; another charming show that could be updated each decade and kept fresh and relevant. CircleVision and Mission To Mars both could have been updated and "futurized" rather than being destroyed. For that matter, I miss the Tomorrowland of '68; this land was once so much fun! The Rocket Jets / Astro Orbiter should be atop the central structure - not blocking the entrance...
    "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

I am going to join with the others in my vote for the Country Bears Jamboree, NOT the Vacation Hoedown version, either.

• Banned User

Maliboomer!

• The High 5 & Waving Goth

Skyway was the best thing since sliced bread...total aerial view of the Magic Kingdom...now it's just a piece of nostalgia from my visits back in the day.

Same with Peoplemover...went on Rocket Rods once...ONCE

If only they had actually TESTED in better detail (I remember that the lack of banked curves was a major factor in breakdowns and delays), it would've not been sent to the Disneyland Attraction graveyard...of course the technology now is miles beyond what was once available during that time.

Also, pre-franchise Pirates of the Caribbean was awesome too.

Yes! Although only rode the Skyway a time or two.

Currently Scotts Valley, CA but forever Orange, CA

Submarine Voyage: I miss the simplicity of that long gone ride compared to its Finding Nemo successor with its new fangled technology and it just lacks a certain charm that the original had. Fake fish on string and bubbles lent more to the imagination than underwater viewing boxes. Wish the Sub Voyage had stayed around longer

Star Tours 1.0: Once again, fixing something that wasn't broke. With the all new 3D film and scenes with pod racing and Gungans and all this other stuff, considering the prequels were a bit underwhelming to me, I was a bit underwhelmed by Star Tours 2.0. It's a fun little ride but once again, it's just not the same as the original 1980s film.

Tomorrowland paint job: Not necessarily an attraction but the whole bronze palette just doesn't sit well with me. The blue and white seemed more clean and like it belonged in Tomorrowland. Everything just looks a bit dirty now.

"Okay! I've always wanted to do this!"

• Parking Lot > DCA

I would say the Skyway is the attraction I miss the most. That old abandoned entrance in Fantasyland is a sad reminder of what once was.

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan
    Country Bear Jamboree- Pooh needs to either move to Fantasyland or get kicked out completely from Disneyland.
    How does Winnie the Pooh not fit into Critter Country? That would be like saying Splash Mountain doesn't fit the criteria.

I get that the Country Bear Jamboree is missed but I feel like the Winnie the Pooh attraction gets a lot of hate, not because of the ride quality, but solely because everyone upset that it's not what was originally there.

Tomorrowland, in general, is always disappointing to me. I miss the PeopleMover, Adventure thru Inner Space and the rockets when they were higher up (on top of the PeopleMover station). While Star Tours is probably a better ride than Adventure thru Inner Space, I wish they kept Adventure thru Inner Space and just added Star Tours instead of building so many gift shops (one for Buzz, one for Star Tours, etc.). Innoventions is a waste of space and, putting nostalgia aside, it's probably about time to do something better with the space where Autopia is. Same thing regarding the Finding Nemo subs.

If there is one area of DLR that has the potential to be completely revamped, it's Tomorrowland. Take out the excessive gift shops, Innoventions, Autopia and the Finding Nemo subs and do something else with all that space (along with the rotting old tracks from the PeopleMover) and I think it would add alot of excitement to Disneyland.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I get that the Country Bear Jamboree is missed but I feel like the Winnie the Pooh attraction gets a lot of hate, not because of the ride quality, but solely because everyone upset that it's not what was originally there.
    I agree with this 100%. I get the impression that people resent Winnie the Pooh because it replaced Country Bear Jamboree, not because it's a bad attraction in its own right. I think the ride would be much more warmly embraced if it had been added to Critter Country alongside Country Bear Jamboree instead of replacing it.

It's the same reason that Mission: Space gets a lot of hate from the WDW crowd. Not because it's a bad attraction, but because it replaced a sacred one.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I would say the Skyway is the attraction I miss the most. That old abandoned entrance in Fantasyland is a sad reminder of what once was.

How does Winnie the Pooh not fit into Critter Country? That would be like saying Splash Mountain doesn't fit the criteria.

Critter Country represents the South. Splash Mountain is derived from a story set in the South. Pooh, on the other hand, has a story in a British setting. Poster Mr. Wiggins has explained this well in another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    In fact, Winnie the Pooh is as British as Alice, Peter Pan and Mr. Toad. According to Wikipedia's well-footnoted article:

"The Winnie-the-Pooh stories are set in Ashdown Forest, Sussex, England. The forest is a large area of tranquil open heathland on the highest sandy ridges of the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty situated 30 miles (50 km) south of London.

"Many locations in the stories can be linked to real places in and around the forest. As Christopher Milne wrote in his autobiography: “Pooh’s forest and Ashdown Forest are identical”. For example, the fictional "Hundred Acre Wood" was in reality Five Hundred Acre Wood; Galleon's Leap was inspired by the prominent hilltop of Gill's Lap, while a clump of trees just north of Gill's Lap became Christopher Robin's The Enchanted Place because no-one had ever been able to count whether there were sixty-three or sixty-four trees in the circle.

"The landscapes depicted in E.H. Shepard’s illustrations for the Winnie-the-Pooh books are directly inspired by the distinctive landscape of Ashdown Forest, with its high, open heathlands of heather, gorse, bracken and silver birch punctuated by hilltop clumps of pine trees. In many cases Shepard's illustrations can be matched to actual views, allowing for a degree of artistic licence. Shepard's sketches of pine trees and other forest scenes are held at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

"The game of Poohsticks was originally played by Christopher Milne on a footbridge across a tributary of the River Medway in Posingford Wood, close to Cotchford Farm. The wooden bridge is a tourist attraction, and it is traditional to play the game there using sticks gathered in nearby woodland. When the footbridge required replacement in recent times the engineer designed a new structure based closely on the drawings by E. H. Shepard of the bridge in the original books, as the bridge did not originally appear as the artist drew it."

Walt Disney's adaptation of Winnie the Pooh closely followed E.H. Shepard's illustrations of the British Hundred Acre Wood -- another thematic fact ignored by Eisger's Disney when they misplaced the Pooh ride in the American forest of Critter Country.

Pooh definitely deserves a Disneyland attraction -- but in Fantasyland, with the other animated adaptations of British children's literature.

It didn't occur to me until I reviewed this Yesterland article that I miss Fort Wilderness. It had an atmosphere almost totally remote from that of Disneyland generally, as though you had gone so deep into the Park that you had slipped through its magical back door into the early 19th century. I remember the headquarters with its statues, the tower, the almost-lost refreshment stand, and of course the eerie escape tunnel down to the river. The famous burning settler's cabin, and the weird little cemetery behind it. I presume that every vestige of these places is gone now, although perhaps somewhere down there still looms the secret escape tunnel, sealed from outside access.

I haven't been over to Tom Sawyer Island in some time, so don't know what if anything is now at its far end, or whether it's just closed-off underbrush.

I suppose that another reason the Fort is gone for good was its Indian Wars symbolism, which no one thought much about in the 1950s but which would raise all sorts of Native American issues today. The rifles in the tower weren't there for fantasizing about shooting tin cans, after all.
    ______
    Rachane

Quote Originally Posted by Rachane View Post
    It didn't occur to me until I reviewed this Yesterland article that I miss Fort Wilderness. It had an atmosphere almost totally remote from that of Disneyland generally, as though you had gone so deep into the Park that you had slipped through its magical back door into the early 19th century. I remember the headquarters with its statues, the tower, the almost-lost refreshment stand, and of course the eerie escape tunnel down to the river. The famous burning settler's cabin, and the weird little cemetery behind it. I presume that every vestige of these places is gone now, although perhaps somewhere down there still looms the secret escape tunnel, sealed from outside access.

I haven't been over to Tom Sawyer Island in some time, so don't know what if anything is now at its far end, or whether it's just closed-off underbrush.

When I last visited last fall, the fort was still there, but the gates were closed, and I believe the paths that go down past the fort were closed off.

I suppose that if management has a change of heart in the future, there's no reason why the fort can't be fixed up and reopened.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Rachane View Post
    The famous burning settler's cabin, and the weird little cemetery behind it. I presume that every vestige of these places is gone now…
    The cabin still exists, though, is no longer burning (see here) Also, the path behind the Fort and the cemetery still exist and are still accessible.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast