Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Re: What Disney attraction do you miss and what do you think of the replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    When I last visited last fall, the fort was still there, but the gates were closed, and I believe the paths that go down past the fort were closed off.
    I visted the park today and I used my excilent abllity to observation (I peeked under the door) that Fort Willderness is now a break area imbetween Fantasmics also anything behind the cemetary is used by Hordiculture now.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Re: What Disney attraction do you miss and what do you think of the replacement?

I miss the Skyway, and the PeopleMover the most. I don't buy that they closed Skyway because demand "dropped off". The Fantasyland station is still there, buried in the trees. Rocket Rods was terrible... not very fast, too short of a ride to make the 2-hour wait worth it. I only rode that ride once and it was day when I got in the queue and night when I got off the ride, and I couldn't see a thing in the car (being in the back and being short).

I like Star Tours 2; I think they did a great job with it. Buzz Lightyear's fun occasionally... I wouldn't cry if it went away.

The Nemo-d subs are cool but I do miss the originals. The Astro-Jets need to be put back in the proper spot... the view they granted you up there was incredible. That "kinetic sculpture" they have there now doesn't even seem to be working - I haven't seen it move at all my last few trips.

Basically I'd just like to take TL back to the late 80's and go with that.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    I agree with this 100%. I get the impression that people resent Winnie the Pooh because it replaced Country Bear Jamboree, not because it's a bad attraction in its own right. I think the ride would be much more warmly embraced if it had been added to Critter Country alongside Country Bear Jamboree instead of replacing it.

It's the same reason that Mission: Space gets a lot of hate from the WDW crowd. Not because it's a bad attraction, but because it replaced a sacred one.
    Yeah, I do think resentment for Winnie the Pooh would always be there, but would it be so intense if we had a version similar to, say, Tokyo Disneyland's? We know that our version is not the best that it could have been--its cheapness is blatantly obvious. Even when compared to Walt Disney World's version, which is by no means groundbreaking or particularly interesting, our pales in comparison to its design, flow, attention to detail, and pacing.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    Yeah, I do think resentment for Winnie the Pooh would always be there, but would it be so intense if we had a version similar to, say, Tokyo Disneyland's?
    Oh yeah, I totally get that. It was obvious that our version of Winnie the Pooh was done on the cheap (relatively speaking) and could have been a whole lot better, and that's definitely disappointing. That being said, I still think it's a pretty decent attraction that isn't deserving of the amount of vitriol that it receives. It's not a great attraction, and it replaced an attraction that was much better than it, but I still think it's good. It could have been much worse.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyInBoise View Post
    Maliboomer!
    I'm not sure if his was in jest as It was widely paned as a terrible ride, but I loved it. And it is much better that the Smoking section that it has become...

As for the others, I only started coming to the parks post 2001 so I never got to really experience some things, but I have seen Country Bears in WDW and I have to question all the love for it. I also wonder about the dislike of Star Tours; pre-refurb it was a walk on ride. 2.0 was done perfectly and will keep people coming back for years to come.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    I'm not sure if his was in jest as It was widely paned as a terrible ride, but I loved it. And it is much better that the Smoking section that it has become...
    While I never loved the MailBOOMer, I would have to agree that it's better than smoking section it is now. It's just sort of ugly with the trees dumped into the empty pits from, and potted shrubs blocking off the old queue.

• Among mad people

I don't remember much about the rides at disneyland prior to anything getting removed. There was a massive gap between my last visit as a kid and my first as an adult. I've only experienced it in it's current incarnation, so in that case I can't really comment on whats been replaced.

However, i would like to throw in that I do love winnie the pooh. I love the ride and the look of it. I think it fits critter country perfectly, and will ride it many times in a row at night. All the people that hate it just leaves more room for me I couldn't care less that the origins of the story don't fit with the origins of splash mountain or whatever, but the actual looks of the ride outside make it fit fine for me. My only beef with it is the super loud party whistle or something that blows my right ear off in the heffelumps scene, and I think Pooh's slippers in his bedroom are the cutest.

Another vote for Rocket Rods. That was ride was great. I know I'm in the minority but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    Rocket Rods was terrible... not very fast, too short of a ride to make the 2-hour wait worth it. I only rode that ride once and it was day when I got in the queue and night when I got off the ride, and I couldn't see a thing in the car (being in the back and being short).
    Obviously I disagree. Someone also said that Radiator Springs Racers weren't fast enough. How fast do you need it to go? If you want a thrill ride you'll need to go on CA Screaming or another park. Nonetheless I think Rocket Rods was fast enough and the sounds effects it had made it even better. If you want true speed I don't think Disneyland is the place for that. You'll need to go Six Flags or something. Disneyland is more of a family park where most people who are in decent condition could go on most, if not all, the rides.

As for the long line; that doesn't make a ride bad necessarily.

Peoplemover > Empty Tracks > Rocket Rods

What I miss is not an attraction per se. I miss the original Disney Gallery that was above the POC. It was a great oasis from the chaos of the park. I was a teenager when it opened and it definitely inspired me to want to work for Disney and perhaps work as an artist. (Didn't happen) I met Marc Davis, Bob Thomas, and Roy Edward Disney there during signings. Every time I went to the park, I made it a point to go up there- even during an 8th grade end -of -year trip!
    The new Gallery just doesn't feel the same. It's a shame the old Gallery location is now a place most people will never see.

Quote Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
    Another vote for Rocket Rods. That was ride was great. I know I'm in the minority but whatever.

Obviously I disagree. Someone also said that Radiator Springs Racers weren't fast enough. How fast do you need it to go? If you want a thrill ride you'll need to go on CA Screaming or another park. Nonetheless I think Rocket Rods was fast enough and the sounds effects it had made it even better. If you want true speed I don't think Disneyland is the place for that. You'll need to go Six Flags or something. Disneyland is more of a family park where most people who are in decent condition could go on most, if not all, the rides.

As for the long line; that doesn't make a ride bad necessarily.
    I'll revise my former statement a bit. It did go fast but only for very brief periods. I remember the decelerations being disappointing. I know the track wasn't banked... it should have been. That would've taken care of the problem I think.

The poor visibility didn't help the experience.

A long line does not a bad ride make, I will agree with you. And they did put some neat stuff in the queue - but the ride at the end of the line didn't make the wait worth it, IMO.

Rocket Rods = good idea, terrible execution.

And yes... if I want REAL speed, I head to Six Flags or Knotts.

Wow, kinda surprised my pick wasn't mentioned yet. I miss MSEP, Light Magic aka Light Tragic. I wont go on But b4 anyone says I can't pick a parade, wasnt the tile mosaic wall a listed attraction at one point (DCA Entrance ver 1.0) or were people being funny, joking about the lack of rides?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234