Disneyland Attendance Numbers

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a research paper for school about DL (my second! woot) and the purpose is to analyze the success (or failure) of a product. I'm trying to analyze ticket sales to DL. I've seen the TEA reports, but I'm struggling to find older attendance numbers. Does anyone have any ideas where I may be able to get ahold of that information?

Thanks in advance.
    Victoria

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Disneyland Attendance Numbers

I wouldn't be able to give you a source but I have heard back in Walt's days average attendance on a Saturday or Sunday in February never topped above 2000 - 3000 people.

• Closed Account

You can find attendance numbers from 1955 though 1966 in "Jason's Disneyland Almanac" by Jason Shultz and our own Kevin Yee (and yes, the attendance routinely topped 3,000 people in Februarys--sometimes as high as 16,000. Sat. and Sun. were the most popular days of the week, after all):

Jason's Disneyland Almanac: Jason Schultz, Kevin Yee: 9780972839846: Amazon.com: Books
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 01-21-2013 at 01:55 PM.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I know Disney does not release the daily attendance numbers. I know Wikipedia has a chart on is page that goes up to 2009 and a number that goes to 2011 but that is the year attendance. Disney does not release number in fear of security reasons. Does anyone know if 9/11 caused this change in policy?
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaLestrange View Post
    the purpose is to analyze the success (or failure) of a product. I'm trying to analyze ticket sales to DL.
    You will find that it is failing. DL is not succeding based on attendance, and hasn't been for decades. They suceed based on the sales of hotel rooms, burgers and t-shirts. Much more revenue comes from sales other than admission.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    You will find that it is failing. DL is not succeding based on attendance, and hasn't been for decades. They suceed based on the sales of hotel rooms, burgers and t-shirts. Much more revenue comes from sales other than admission.

I agree with Swampy, the money is not in the attendance ticket sales, especially with pass holders. Though the attendance count won't reflect the daily ticket sales count. We go a lot without buying a ticket every time (obviously being pass holders).
    Though it sounds like you aren't looking at the money end of it, but you are just basing your research on if it is successfull because more people are going through the turnstiles now compared to last few years. If that is the case then especiallly DCA is very successfull this year compared to when it first opened.
    I think you are going to find out that Disneyland is very successful if you just base it on people through the turnstile now compared to years ago, but you also have to make sure you base your numbers on operating hours too. When the park closes earlier you are going to get fewer people through the gates so those days will have lower numbers, does not mean it isn't successful just means people have to work and can't get there before they close.

Thank you all for your responses so far...you've given me a lot to consider!

Quote Originally Posted by mine,mine,mine View Post
    I agree with Swampy, the money is not in the attendance ticket sales, especially with pass holders. Though the attendance count won't reflect the daily ticket sales count. We go a lot without buying a ticket every time (obviously being pass holders).
    Though it sounds like you aren't looking at the money end of it, but you are just basing your research on if it is successfull because more people are going through the turnstiles now compared to last few years. If that is the case then especiallly DCA is very successfull this year compared to when it first opened.
    I think you are going to find out that Disneyland is very successful if you just base it on people through the turnstile now compared to years ago, but you also have to make sure you base your numbers on operating hours too. When the park closes earlier you are going to get fewer people through the gates so those days will have lower numbers, does not mean it isn't successful just means people have to work and can't get there before they close.
    Good points. I am an AP as well, but I never really thought about ticket sales vs. actual attendance. So, I guess I can revise my question a bit: obviously, for tax reasons, Disney has to publish its financials. Does anyone know where I can find copies from previous years?
    Victoria

• Sock Puppet

Probably not disney does not release that info( tax stuff)..or at least not that i know of

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaLestrange View Post
    So, I guess I can revise my question a bit: obviously, for tax reasons, Disney has to publish its financials. Does anyone know where I can find copies from previous years?
    You can easily find Disney's annual reports. It won't exactly help because it doesn't break out only what DLR earns, DLR is included in the Parks and Resorts division.

If you want a way to estimate the success, here is a way to analyze it. As products gain popularity the company can charge more. As they decline in popularity they have to cut the price. It's a demand vs price relation. Look at how the prices, less discounts reflect against its market piers and inflation.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Before the TEA/AECOM reports, the estimates were done by a magazine whose name escapes me and I believe is now defunct. I believe they may have still employed AECOM to do the estimates. I would suggest digging around at some of the older roller coaster, theme park and Disney websites.

Archive.org is also a great tool. It lets you view [parts of] old websites and can help you locate older documents no longer available on the current website. I've used it to view older Annual Reports of The Walt Disney Company. You can also do a search for Disney at sec.gov and pull many of their filed financial documents.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Huh? While attendance is not the be all fans make it to be, Disneyland has been ranked as the second most visited park in the world for many years now.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Huh? While attendance is not the be all fans make it to be, Disneyland has been ranked as the second most visited park in the world for many years now.
    Attendance used to have a consistently postive slope, but then dropped and rose, dropped and rose. It hasn't been peaking and topping the peak year after year like it did at first.

Name:  86234504003947381.png
Views: 254
Size:  17.5 KB