Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Blue Sky Cellar-Fantasy Faire Tour

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    This has all been covered before, but the entrances to other lands are just that, transitions and entrances, just as the castle bridge is a transition and the castle is the entrance to Fantasyland. The Hub is also known as the Central Plaza and housed the Plaza Inn, Plaza Pavilion, and the Plaza Gardens. All have been listed as food venues for Main Street.

The wishing well is just that, a wishing well and would not be out of place in a turn-of-the-century town even if one were to consider that part of Main Street as well.

The Fantasy Faire, Pixie Hollow, and the Rocket Ships, however could not fit equally within their respective lands or on Main Street and are thus an intrusion on to the theme.
    There are no transitions. Main Street stops and a new land begins abruptly.

• Banned User

I thought the same thing. I think he should have said that the princesses have never been as heavily marketed as they are today.
    I have a 3 year old daughter at home who knows who are the Disney Princesses. It isn't so much the Disney marketing driving the popularity. Girls love to dress up. They love colorful costumes. Have you considered the genius of Disney having a different color for each princess? Red (Minnie Mouse, not a princess, but still a popular costume), Yellow (Belle), Blue (Cinderella), Red/Yellow (Snow White), Purple (Tangled), Green (Tatiana), White (Princess wedding dress).

• Closed Account

Wiggins, what is scary is that there are "fans" who now believe and share The Company's clairvoyant Walt wishes.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    There are no transitions. Main Street stops and a new land begins abruptly.
    Not really. Aside from Tomorrowland, each land has a bridge leading away from the street. Because each bridge on its own would not be out of place in the other land or Main Street, it acts as a transition.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Back in Black

Just to poke the bear, by your definition, the Tiki Room is a part of Main Street, as you reach it's entrance before you to the entrance to Adventureland.

The HUB is the transition zone. Thats the spot in the park where all the lands meet and crash into one another.
    -The MiceChatter formerly known as indyjn511

---That goat has dynamite!---

• Still Dizzy

I wonder if they will have a way to view the rooms and whatnot without waiting in the meet & greet line. I have no interest in doing a M&G but I definitely want to check out the theming and details.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Elias1955 View Post
    Just to poke the bear, by your definition, the Tiki Room is a part of Main Street, as you reach it's entrance before you to the entrance to Adventureland.
    Actually, if you look at an aerial shot of the park, the entrance to the Tiki Room is well back along the transition point and well away from Main Street. In fact, you have to go around a slight bend past the Plaza Pavilion before getting there. The entrance sign for Adventureland could easily be moved forward slightly as it looks like it should be about 15 yards east.

Regardless, the attraction itself is clearly in Adventureland, past the sign.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Not really. Aside from Tomorrowland, each land has a bridge leading away from the street. Because each bridge on its own would not be out of place in the other land or Main Street, it acts as a transition.
    I would argue the bridge is not a transition since the style is no longer Main Street. The castle bridge is pure Fantasyland. The other land entrances are already themed to the lands that they reflect. Once you cross the "Main Street" street and you walk beyond the sidewalk, you're already in the new land.

• Banned User

Actually, if you look at an aerial shot of the park, the entrance to the Tiki Room is well back along the transition point and well away from Main Street. In fact, you have to go around a slight bend past the Plaza Pavilion before getting there. The entrance sign for Adventureland could easily be moved forward slightly as it looks like it should be about 15 yards east.

Regardless, the attraction itself is clearly in Adventureland, past the sign.
    The Tiki Room entrance is before the Adventureland sign. The waiting area is before the sign and after the sign.

The attraction is right at the sign.

• -

I would argue the bridge is not a transition since the style is no longer Main Street. The castle bridge is pure Fantasyland. The other land entrances are already themed to the lands that they reflect. Once you cross the "Main Street" street and you walk beyond the sidewalk, you're already in the new land.
    I think your confusing the wooden drawbridge with the larger stone bridge. The drawbridge is clearly part of the castle, but the stone bridge is just that: a stone bridge and could thus be located anywhere from a small town park to a medieval castle. It is the blending of such bridges that illustrates the transition from one land to another.

The Tiki Room entrance is before the Adventureland sign. The waiting area is before the sign and after the sign.

The attraction is right at the sign.

However, the border to the land is the border of the Tiki Room. Going into the Tiki Room courtyard is just a second way into Adventureland, just as walking along the parade route past the Matterhorn is another way into Fantasyland.
    Last edited by calsig31; 01-23-2013 at 05:52 PM.

• Back in Black

However, the border to the land is the border of the Tiki Room. Going into the Tiki Room courtyard is just a second way into Adventureland, just as walking along the parade route past the Matterhorn is another way into Fantasyland.
    As is Snow Whites Wishing Well, as will be Fantasy Faire.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Elias1955 View Post
    As is Snow Whites Wishing Well, as will be Fantasy Faire.
    There's no relationship whatsoever between the two. One is an understated, out-of-the-way corner of peaceful charm and beauty. The other is a blinged-out infomercial aimed at hyping little girls with whatever branded characters are currently hot on the Disney Consumer Products marketing-initiative synergy list.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Back in Black

There's no relationship whatsoever between the two. One is an understated, out-of-the-way corner of peaceful charm and beauty. The other is a blinged-out infomercial aimed at hyping little girls with whatever branded characters are currently hot on the Disney Consumer Products marketing-initiative synergy list.
    Thats not really the point I'm after at all... I'm just saying they both exist as entrances into Fantasyland-proper from the Hub. Check out the context, my friend.

• I'm a Lutheran

Personally, I'm not seeing the new Fantasy Faire as a commercial. They really are putting a lot of nice details in there that make it good for an adventure or two. I'm not down to see the princesses, but I will be on the lookout for Clopin, Figaro, and anything else beautiful and reminiscent of classic Disney charm.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I think the main complaint about its location is coming from people who grew up with the Carnation Plaza and are sad to see it go. Now, that's not a bad thing. I'd be devastated to see something in the park that I grew up with go away. I'm still bitter over the loss of the Country Bears haha. I can see where the sadness is coming from and I can understand why there's so much controversy over its placement. Truth be told, they could have easily just torn out the Fantasyland Theater and turned it into the current Fantasy Faire concept. Even then it would seem out of place when placed next to Small World's abstract art-style. Oh, well. I don't mind the placement or concept of the addition, I just feel sorry for those who are so sad to see it replace a classic.

It kind of reminds me of The Legend of Zelda, something else I grew up with. To me it looks like some medieval village nestled alongside a castle, something straight from the pages of a romanticized novel about knights and dragons. That's awesome.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Banned User

I think your confusing the wooden drawbridge with the larger stone bridge. The drawbridge is clearly part of the castle, but the stone bridge is just that: a stone bridge and could thus be located anywhere from a small town park to a medieval castle. It is the blending of such bridges that illustrates the transition from one land to another.
    I was referring to both bridges as part of the castle. I do not consider the stone bridge to be anything but medieval in design. The plaza with the medalion design is also in the same style. All that area is part of Fantasyland.

Which confirms there is no transition. The Tiki Room is the beginning of Adventureland.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast