• Closed Account

Getting Star Wars Weekends in Anaheim

So Lucasfilm has announced the Star Wars Weekends for Florida this year, and while there is an Unofficial Star Wars day at DLR (June 24th this year) Disney really needs to let Lucasfilm do them on the West Coast.

Steve Sansweet was asked about West Coast Star Wars Weekends at Comic Con in San Diego last July and he said Lucasfilm wants to do it - the ball was in Disney's park to allow them to.

So what will it take to convince TDA to allow Lucasfilm to do West Coast Star Wars Weekends like they do in Florida?

They're looking for something to draw people into the park and OFFICIAL Star Wars Weekends here would obviously help promote the park.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Re: Getting Star Wars Weekends in Anaheim

i would LOVE that!! i saw the info about last year's after the fact, so i'm hoping to make it this year...with some fellow MC'ers, of course!
    <o>

• Now I'm driving the bus!

Ok I'll ask, what is a Star Wars Weekend?

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by spike
    Ok I'll ask, what is a Star Wars Weekend?
    It is a weekend filled with Star Wars events that is held at the Disney-MGM Studios for a few weekends in the spring. Certain events include:

• Meet-and-greets with charaters from the film
    • Meet-and-greets with stars (and autographs)
    • A Star Wars oriented parade with stars of the film
    • Who Wants to Be a Millionaire - Play It! themed to Star Wars trivia
    • Star Tours ride-a-thon
    • Exclusive merchandise
    Overall it's been quite popular for all types of Star Wars fans.

Personally, I DO NOT and CANNOT see this happening inside of the Disneyland Park. If it happened at DLR it would have to be at DCA which would make it impossible for a ride-a-thon, etc. The Disney-MGM Studios also hosts Super Soap Weekends (same thing, Soap Opera themed instead) and it has a similar event at DCA. I would assume if they did hold this event that it would take place at this location-- which like I've said would make it quite interesting.

• Inappropriate

I went to Star Wars weekends for the last two years, and planning on going again this year, but from what I've seen, there's just no room for it in Disneyland. The crwods are massive and the only logical place to have it would be Tomorrowland (due to Star Tours being there.) And we all know that's already a crowded area as it stands. It would be possible in California Adventure, but then there'd be no Star Tours. If it ever happened, it wouldn't be nearly as good as the east coast version.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte
    So Lucasfilm has announced the Star Wars Weekends for Florida this year, and while there is an Unofficial Star Wars day at DLR (June 24th this year) Disney really needs to let Lucasfilm do them on the West Coast.

Steve Sansweet was asked about West Coast Star Wars Weekends at Comic Con in San Diego last July and he said Lucasfilm wants to do it - the ball was in Disney's park to allow them to.
    Thanks for starting this thread, ManaByte. I was at the Fan Breakfast at ComicCon a couple of years ago, and Steve was also asked that question then. He replied at the time that the SW Days WILL happen, it's just a matter of when. Friends that were there with us had attended the SW Days at WDW and felt that with the right planning, they could be just as successful out here. We all felt that we were getting tired of WDW getting, what seems like EVERYTHING, while we get passed over here at DL.

Had an absolute blast our own DL SW Day last year, and already have rooms booked for the one this year! (Nothing like being ready!) See you there!

• Star Tours Fan

I'm in. If I see Steve Sansweet at WonderCon in San Francisco next month I will ask him. I refuse to fly so the WDW weekends are out of the question for me. My friend went 2 years ago and said people were camping out to get autograph fastpasses.

www.swstartours.net

• done

It wasn't a series of weekends, but I remember a few years ago, they had either one or two days of official Star Wars stuff at Disneyland. Even though I'm a huge Star Wars fan, having a picture taken with random day player dressed in a Stormtrooper or Wookie outfit didn't do anything for me. I don't remember how well attended those days were.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

The Orange County Star Wars Society had a Star Wars fan day at Disneyland back on June 25, 2005. It was a blast. Here is the link http://www.disneylandstarwars.com/

There is another one scheduled for June 24, 2006.

http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

The blond guy in the lower left corner of the picture later got dressed up as Obi-wan Kenobi and roamed the park signing autographs. For some strange reason he was mostly in adventureland. People though he was an official cast member.
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.