Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Restaurant/Food help needed!

Hi, everybody. I'm pretty new here and have read lots but don't really post much. I do have a a question though and would love to hear everyone's opinions...

DH and are going to be at Disneyland (very soon!) and are really looking forward to our trip. It's our first time away together since we welcomed our daughter into the world 6 months ago and even though it would be fun to take her, we're so excited to get to hang out together without having to be mom and dad. Anways, we want to have a relaxing trip and will only be there one day and night so we've decided just to do DL and not DCA this trip. We both love the parks but have agreed the one experience that seems to be lacking is the food. It seems like we always get starving and are searching around for something good but always settle on pizza or a burger which usually seems sub-par.

I would absolutely love to enjoy some good eats this time we go ( especially since we won't be running around trying to get to all the attractions) and would be so grateful to get some ideas of everyone here. I'm even hoping to take a "cheat sheet" with us so we can remember all the good options haha.

So, what are your "cant miss" restaurants/snacks/ counter service joints? We'll be in the park for lunch and dinner. I also know that the hotels have some restaurants in them that are good. I'm thinking we'd probably have a "lighter" lunch and a longer, more expensive "sit down" dinner. Also, do you have a favorite place to grab drinks in Downtown Disney? Thanks in advance for your help!

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Re: Restaurant/Food help needed!

If you are going to be eating at the parks spend your first night at Napa Rose. This is a hotel restarunt and it's pretty pricey but it will get the romantic effect that you want. Also for breakfast eat at the buffet at Story Tellers or Goofy Kitchen at DLHotel. When you are in the park for lunch go to Plaza Inn. The meals there are prety hearty and you will get good quality of food. BTW...Welcome to Mice Chat!
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

If you have extra money I would suggest Blue Bayou for dinner, The short ribs are awesome. I've yet to have a bad meal Plaza Inn and I usually go there if I dont want to try anything new. Carnation Cafe is next on my list and I hear they have good food as well. Have Fun

• DCP DLR Alumnus!

^What they've said. One of my favorite places is the Plaza Inn on Main Street- the pasta, chicken, and salads are all amazing!

I personally really like gumbo and clam chowder, so I always make a point to eat at the Royal Street Veranda near Pirates of the Caribbean.

Another suggestion, although a bit pricey, is to go to Big Thunder Ranch for the all-you-can-eat lunch. The last time I ate there it was $25/person, and that price did not include drinks, tax, or the tip (it's a table service restaurant). But you get all the ribs, chicken, beans, coleslaw, and cornbread you can handle! They do offer a dinner there as well, but it costs more and I'm unsure of the menu- I've only been there for lunch.

And finally, don't forget the churros and Dole whips when you're ready for a snack!
    Please check out my E-Ticket attraction, The Time of My Life!
    http://tcox91.tumblr.com

• Selfie Expert

I went to here: allears.net/dlr/din/menu/menus.htm

It lists all the menus in the park and the Disney properties. I went through and copy and pasted the menus I was interest in into a separate word document and cut out everything but the things I really wanted to try. It came in hand when we got hungry in the park, I pulled out the list and said "What sounds good?". There are so many amazing options, so we're trying to try something new every visit.

There's also a great food photo thread somewhere in this forum where people have shared photos of all kinds of food options at the resort. I'd recommend checking it out!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Quote Originally Posted by disney4me2001 View Post
    ^What they've said. One of my favorite places is the Plaza Inn on Main Street- the pasta, chicken, and salads are all amazing!

I personally really like gumbo and clam chowder, so I always make a point to eat at the Royal Street Veranda near Pirates of the Caribbean.

Another suggestion, although a bit pricey, is to go to Big Thunder Ranch for the all-you-can-eat lunch. The last time I ate there it was $25/person, and that price did not include drinks, tax, or the tip (it's a table service restaurant). But you get all the ribs, chicken, beans, coleslaw, and cornbread you can handle! They do offer a dinner there as well, but it costs more and I'm unsure of the menu- I've only been there for lunch.

And finally, don't forget the churros and Dole whips when you're ready for a snack!
    Dole Whips are a must.

• Minion

I like the Storyteller's Cafe in the Grand Californian. After your dinner, walk over to the Grand Californian lobby, order some wine and sit by the fireplace for a while.

• The doctor is in

If you want to settle for a snack or something small you must settle for a Dole Whip.

Other than that I would also suggest Blue Bayou if you have the extra cash. The food is truly great and the atmosphere is fun. Just be sure to make a reservation.
    I would also back the others up on suggesting Plaza Inn as I have never had a bad meal there either. I would also strongly suggest checking out Cafe Orleans. It isn't that expensive and the food is delicious.
    Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

• -

If you feel like leaving the park for a bit during dinner, ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe are right next to the Downtown Disney Monorail stop. You can hop on the monorail in Tomorrowland and ride over to dinner and then ride back into the park when you're finished. The cheesesteak at ESPN Zone is excellent.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

The sandwiches at Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney are the best and fairly priced. You can't go wrong at the Jazz Kitchen. In fact, the Sunday brunch is far superior to all other breakfast offerings in the resort. Anyone for Bananas Foster french toast? And the best Bloody Mary anywhere. We also love the fried chicken at Plaza Inn. Good value and awesome taste. We also like the potato soup, burgers and great shakes and malts at Carnation.

The worst, IMHO, is Big Thunder BBQ and Village Haus. We've eaten at Big Thunder a couple of times, and it is probably the worst BBQ I've ever had, and way overpriced....and I love good BBQ. My whole family agreed that the food at Village Haus was waaay too salty.

The food is great at Napa Rose, but we felt that it was too noisy (families, kids) and bright for a romantic dinner. It think the atmosphere at Carthay is better.

Lunch: Jolly Holiday or Carnation Cafe
    Dinner: Blue Bayou, Cafe Orleans or Carnation Cafe.

Outside of the parks: Storytellers or Steakhouse 55.

• DLR Cast Member

Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue is currently open only Fri-Sat-Sun and holidays. The prices there do include drinks, but desserts are an additional charge.

I would do lunch at the Blue Bayou. It's a little more reasonably priced than dinner with the same amazing ambiance and the seriously addicting Monte Cristo sandwich.

For dinner, you can hop the monorail to Downtown Disney and The House of Blues has really good food and drinks and is pretty reasonably priced.

• Circle of Ancients

If you are only going to be visiting Disneyland and you don't want to leave the park to eat sadly your food options for "good" food are incredibly limited IMO.

There is "decent" food, but honestly most of it's not any better than you'll get at your local Applebees (crapplebees in our house).

If you don't mind leaving the park there are some decent places at DTD such as Naples or at the DL hotel such as Steakhouse 55.

My suggestion, get to the resort early and have breakfast at Steakhouse 55. It's quite simply the best breakfast on property and the price isn't bad AT ALL. That should fill you up for Breakfast/Lunch and then you can have an early dinner inside the park. Your best bet is probably Carnation Cafe, Plaza Inn or Cafe' Orleans.

Blue Bayou is incredibly overrated IMO.

• Mistress of Evil

For quick service, I love French Market and Plaza Inn. Blue Bayou or Cafe Orleans for table service. Turkey legs and corn dogs make great meals/snacks. DH has to have a turkey leg everyday we are in the parks. The corn dogs at DL are the best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast