Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Chief Troublemaker

Re: Food Allergies, Disneyland, and YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    In regards to cross-contamination: so they can really accommodate this? I know on the website it says "we can't guarantee cross-contamination won't happen" so this would be amazing news for me. Up until now Ive just avoided places that serve shellfish for this reason - unfortunately that's a fair chunk of the restaurants at both DLR and DCA.

Does this work at Goofy's Kitchen too? I have always wanted to eat there but I know they serve shrimp.

Well, as far as cross contamination (cc) goes, I have never been 'glutened' at any Disney location. As a rule, they have been knowledgeable and concerned about cc and are more than willing to appease any anxiety. But as you probably do, if I run into a CM that either doesn't know or appears not to care I turn around and walk away because it's not worth taking the chance. And that has only happened ONCE.

As far as the disclaimer, most places that accommodate and have good prep practices will still have the same type of legal disclaimer to avoid potential legal problems. Accidents do happen and there are people who will intentionally claim cc to try to sue & collect damages. That being said, I will note that my being 'glutened' while very unpleasant & painful, is a world away from anaphylactic shock from shellfish, so I can certainly understand your being doubly concerned. Things I have found helpful are;

Peruse the menu online if you can. I find it helpful if I can plan ahead 1 or 2 choices that appear to be either 'ok' or would be easy to adjust to meet my/your needs.

Speak to the head chef or kitchen manager. Stress and express any concerns about their allergy prep practices.

Eat at 'odd' times, meaning less busy. I usually try to eat right when they open and (hopefully) the kitchen and ingredients are fresh & hopefully separate, and haven't accidentally been too 'gotten in to' to fix other customer's meals. Of course, that usually means eating lunch at 11 and dinner at 4.

Good Luck!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    In regards to cross-contamination: so they can really accommodate this? I know on the website it says "we can't guarantee cross-contamination won't happen" so this would be amazing news for me. Up until now Ive just avoided places that serve shellfish for this reason - unfortunately that's a fair chunk of the restaurants at both DLR and DCA.
    I know for sure that in table service restaurants if there is a nut allergy and they usually include nuts in the salad, the person preparing your salad will change gloves before preparing your nut free salad. Always talk to the chef, that is the way to make sure we get it right for you.

Does this work at Goofy's Kitchen too? I have always wanted to eat there but I know they serve shrimp.
    Talk to the chef. They are there to make sure your experience is safe!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Well, as far as cross contamination (cc) goes, I have never been 'glutened' at any Disney location. As a rule, they have been knowledgeable and concerned about cc and are more than willing to appease any anxiety. But as you probably do, if I run into a CM that either doesn't know or appears not to care I turn around and walk away because it's not worth taking the chance. And that has only happened ONCE.

As far as the disclaimer, most places that accommodate and have good prep practices will still have the same type of legal disclaimer to avoid potential legal problems. Accidents do happen and there are people who will intentionally claim cc to try to sue & collect damages. That being said, I will note that my being 'glutened' while very unpleasant & painful, is a world away from anaphylactic shock from shellfish, so I can certainly understand your being doubly concerned. Things I have found helpful are;

Peruse the menu online if you can. I find it helpful if I can plan ahead 1 or 2 choices that appear to be either 'ok' or would be easy to adjust to meet my/your needs.

Speak to the head chef or kitchen manager. Stress and express any concerns about their allergy prep practices.

Eat at 'odd' times, meaning less busy. I usually try to eat right when they open and (hopefully) the kitchen and ingredients are fresh & hopefully separate, and haven't accidentally been too 'gotten in to' to fix other customer's meals. Of course, that usually means eating lunch at 11 and dinner at 4.

Good Luck!
    Thank you so much for this insight and these suggestions! I am copying this into my files so I will have it to refer to when/if I make reservations for fine dining at the resort. It would be really nice if it worked out- I'd love to have the chance to eat at Club 33 someday, for instance.

The suggestion to eat early when the food prep has just ended is such a great one, in particular. I hadn't even considered that, and it makes so much sense.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Jim View Post
    Talk to the chef. They are there to make sure your experience is safe!
    Thank you! If they are receptive to handling allergies - and it sounds as though they are - I will definitely give it a try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12